WTF do I get a 5yo who has requested a pigeon for xmas

(116 Posts)
AngelsLieToKeepControl Thu 03-Oct-13 16:20:19

As per the title really.

She is obsessed with pigeons, she won't be persuaded with a budgie or any other type of bird.

She wrote a letter to Santa and hid it under her pillow, basically begging him for a pigeon but saying not to tell me because I won't let her have one sad

If anyone has any bright ideas I will be eternally grateful.

Wingdingdong Mon 07-Oct-13 16:17:22

OP, have you got/read Julia Donaldson's Fly, Pigeon, Fly?

It's about a small Glaswegian boy who rescues a baby pigeon. His dad says he can't keep it but the pigeon returns home. Eventually the boy realises keeping the pigeon inside is cruel and lets it go...

Last year DS (5 at the time) wanted a real gun with real bullets, which he promised he wouldn't shoot at actual people, a doll and all the seeds in the world.

This year DD (3.5) wants a golden tray, a bat and ball and a computer. DS correctly assessed that Father Christmas might manage the bat and ball.

Katienana Mon 07-Oct-13 11:32:16

My brother asked for a bonaro once. He meant a bow and arrow!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 07-Oct-13 10:19:24

DS2 asked for pink slippers and a snowball a couple of years ago.

Santa brought both grin

WhentheRed Mon 07-Oct-13 04:39:31

There is a book called Osbert about a little boy who asked for and received a penguin. Eventually, the boy asked Santa to take back the penguin because he couldn't look after it properly (my son cried). However, it ended up with a happy ending and was a good lesson about asking for unusual animals.

My two have a history of asking for made-up toys or toys that are sold out (the elves can make more!). The most challenging ones were:

1.where DD wrote a letter to Santa (before she could write) and would not tell us what she wanted. That was a matter between her and Santa.
2. DS asked for "supersonic speed juice". I was tempted to give him a crate of Red Bull.

When he was about 4ish my no2 son asked for "a shark and a clock" - nothing else, just those. He meant a regular wall clock (pointed out in the Argos book) too, not a fancy one, and he still has it, on his bedroom wall, still going strong after 15 years grin
DD asks for "a pork pie as big as her head" every year, so we get her a Morrell's one (which will only be meaningful if you live near us, but they are La creme de la creme of pork pies) - they even do festive ones with little sprigs of pastry holly on top grin

asandwichshort Sun 06-Oct-13 20:29:23

My friend's son who was about 4 or 5 at the time insisted all he wanted for Christmas was a tin of corned beef. Which she duly wrapped up and presented him with! He was over the moon!! he did get normal stuff too but pride of place was the tin of corned beef!

unlucky83 Sun 06-Oct-13 18:51:44

My cow loving DD2 wanted a real cow for Christmas - when I said the back garden wasn't big enough she said we could get a small one - a calf grin
Luckily I said she and the cow would be really sad when it grew too big for the garden and had to leave ...and she wouldn't be able to play out there because of all the poo and she went off the idea - and was a happy with a toy cow (in fact lots of toy cows, hats, dressing gowns, pjs, pants, vests...you get the picture)
DD1 wanted a Thomas the Tank Engine -like the ones you get outside the supermarkets ...I told her she would have to get rid of all her toys to fit it in her bedroom -maybe even have to sleep on the floor in the corner ... she said she wouldn't mind ..then I tried Santa wouldn't be able to get it upstairs...but of course he could he was magic ...the final thing was that if Santa put that on his sleigh he wouldn't have room for any other toys for her - or for any other boys and girls- but I was sure he would do his best - she got a Thomas Train set and wasn't very impressed...but did play with it a lot - as has DD2 who also got it for Christmas 5 yrs later...

moobaloo Sun 06-Oct-13 17:39:34

This is great!

I used to have a pet pigeon grin a fancy brown speckly one who crash landed in our garden. He had a tag on but we could never trace his owners. I named him Paschabel (After Paschabel's Canon, I was eight) and he would come to call, sit on my shoulder and everything. I loved him to bits, he lived outside - spending his nights in our Wendy House and then I'd take him out into the garden for the day, and when I came home from school he would trot out from under a plant or table and fly onto my shoulder grin Unfortunately I went on Brownie camp and he disappeared while I was gone sad and never came back sad saddest moment of my childhood possibly.

A friend of mine smuggled a tin of spam into Church one christmas morning and when a nice lady asked him what he'd got for Christmas he mournfully replied "a tin of spam" whilst holding it up, with his mother looking on horrified! Hilarious! He must've been about ten.

AngelsLieToKeepControl Sun 06-Oct-13 11:05:15

More great pigeony ideas, thank you so much everyone flowers

The pull along pigeon arrived yesterday. Its so weird. I really can't fathom why people make these things at all, but I'm glad they do.

I'm going to buy one of those cards from Etsy to write a note from Santa in I think.

I forgot all about Pigeon Street, I absolutely loved that programme, I'm going to see if there is a box set of it somewhere.

Her love of pigeons has lasted about 18 months so far, I kept thinking she would grow out of it, but she didn't, 6 months ago we started looking at getting another type of bird for her, but she doesn't want one, only a pigeon. It's at the point now where she doesn't want to go to the park, she prefers to go into town and sit and watch them instead.

I wouldn't even know where to begin with looking after a one, I'm going look more into the care they need, we will be going to visit her adopted pigeon in January so I'll ask more about it then. I keep looking at Purdy the pigeon, he is growing on me that's for sure.

I love all these stories of the bizarre requests, I am so glad dd isn't the only one, and at least she knows what she wants and I don't have to work it out from a vague description grin

meddie Sun 06-Oct-13 10:51:36

My son always asked for standard football stuff, but ended every letter with 'I have been very good but my sister has not, could you take her away'
Much to his disgust she was still there every xmas morning.

TeddyBare Sun 06-Oct-13 07:13:17

If you were considering a different animal then I guess you're fairly sure she'll want this for a while and you're willing to do some research and learn how to look after it properly? If that's true, then perhaps it's worth looking in to rehoming a retired racing pigeon? There must be loads of them about but I'm not sure where you'd go to find one.

RealAleandOpenFires Sun 06-Oct-13 01:45:07

Kate...That's a blast from the past "Pigdeon St." I like "Long Distance Clara" . grin off later to watch it on youtube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=adPCgblBKjA (1st episode)

working9while5 Sat 05-Oct-13 22:18:43

We need to find Thor' s Hammer 'but with REAL lightening mummy'. He is not listening...

BeaWheesht Sat 05-Oct-13 22:11:58

ds asked for a moon with a face on once. hmm

dd doesnt really ask for anything yet but shes only 3 so theres plenty of time.

Oh and ds who is now 6 came home and announced all he really wanted this year was a king hammer and it has a funny shaped bit and a handle and a ball that you throw and a spike and its wooden. I finally discovered it was this

candodad Sat 05-Oct-13 20:05:22

My Nephew (now 24 then 4) hod only one request this particular year. He asked for a toaster. My sister thinking it was some passing idea didn't listen and he was sat in tears (with dozens of other presents around) becuase he didn't get one

loopybear Sat 05-Oct-13 19:21:04

My DD wanted a pony for years to her delight my godparents adopted her one in a sanctuary that we've been to visit. Staff were great took her to brush her pony as we missed the party! She commented that she'd got everything shed wished for. Unfortunately I will fail in bringing back to life our labrador this year.

KateBeckett Sat 05-Oct-13 14:29:32

Pigeon!

KateBeckett Sat 05-Oct-13 14:28:57

Argh! Pidgeon street!!

KateBeckett Sat 05-Oct-13 14:28:23

Okay haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this has been suggested, but DP says you have to get he the 'pudge on street' DVDs!

BettyandDon Sat 05-Oct-13 11:18:28

I am so scared of pigeons!!! I am in awe of kids who chase them...

breward Sat 05-Oct-13 10:58:16

My dd, aged 5, asked for a trap. She had been learning about castles and wanted a portcullis for her bedroom door! I ended up making one out of thick card, painting it and stapling it to the door frame at midnight on Christmas Eve! I also covered her whole doorway with gold Christmas ribbon criss crossed like a spiders web... I could not wait to see her face in the morning. Imagine the chaos when she woke up at 4 am needing the loo and walked straight into the'TRAP' !!!

The following year she asked for the biggest knicker bocker glory ever... Again I was making jelly, whipping cream etc at midnight on Christmas Eve and filling an enormous cheap vase I had bought with the most sickly of ingredients. She was thrilled with it. It would not fit into the fridge tho, so had to sit outside the back door to keep chilled.

DS asked for a million pounds a couple of years ago and was most indignant when he got a Bruno Mars CD and a sports bag instead.

Luckily, both children are pre/ teenagers now so hopefully the bizarre present requests have stopped. DD did want a bar of chocolate and some new knickers when she was 3 years old... So maybe we will go full circle!

curiousgeorgie Sat 05-Oct-13 09:27:31

My friends daughter wanted a giraffe, to the point of obsessiveness! So they adopted her one in a local zoo that she could go and visit, as a giraffe was much too tall for her room wink

She loved it.

Adopting the giraffe only lasted a year but she still thinks its hers grin

Underconstruction Fri 04-Oct-13 23:22:38

My big regret when DD2 asked for a pet mouse was buying her a wind-up one. With hindsight I should have got some mouse bedding and left it empty... been and gone before the stockings were opened. Am sure that was the nail in Santa's coffin for DD1. Now DD2 just tells me about all the creatures she'll own when she's big and leaves home (she's still only 6).

BodminPill Fri 04-Oct-13 21:53:37

My DD age 3 has only asked for one thing - a book from Costco

Easy Peasy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now