WTF do I get a 5yo who has requested a pigeon for xmas

(116 Posts)
AngelsLieToKeepControl Thu 03-Oct-13 16:20:19

As per the title really.

She is obsessed with pigeons, she won't be persuaded with a budgie or any other type of bird.

She wrote a letter to Santa and hid it under her pillow, basically begging him for a pigeon but saying not to tell me because I won't let her have one sad

If anyone has any bright ideas I will be eternally grateful.

QuenellefireAndDamnation Fri 04-Oct-13 14:13:27

Would Canis Majoris fit in an average-sized Christmas stocking?

QueenofallIsee Fri 04-Oct-13 14:20:26

My MIL got my lads racing pigeons last year - they love them. I find them sinister and suspect them of plotting against me.

AngelsLieToKeepControl Fri 04-Oct-13 14:20:39

shock that mask - why on earth would anyone make such a thing, it's really creepy.

I fear going to Trafalgar Square would only enhance her love for them. The only reason she likes going to see her Grandad is so that she can sit in town and watch the pigeons for hours, I'd probably never get her away if she was surrounded by thousands of the things.

AngelsLieToKeepControl Fri 04-Oct-13 14:23:27

I'm the same with all birds, Queen I can't stand them and they freak me out, funnily enough it started after I watched The Birds <shudder>

Quenelle you may have to get a bit of a larger sized stocking for that, poundland will probably do one though grin

I love this thread, so many pigeony things! Do you have many local pigeons and a garden/ somewhere to have a bird table? My local pigoens are very regular visitors to my bird table, and currently eating me out of house and home. My bird table is quite close to the kitchen window so I get a good view, and lots of stares when their favourite feeder is out of food!I'm not an expert, but think they need something to stand on/ a tray to eat out of rather than hanging off the bird feeder like the little birds do!

That took ages to post, and just saw your message about not liking birds, so you probably don't want them staring at you in your home - sorry!

AngelsLieToKeepControl Fri 04-Oct-13 14:34:22

I don't mind if they are outside and I am inside, as long as the door is locked grin We don't really get many birds around here for some reason. I have some bird feeders hanging off the fence but they are never touched. There are about a million cats in my street so that's probably why.

LeoandBoosmum Fri 04-Oct-13 14:42:39

This is so cute! I would explain that Santa called you up and asked you to explain to your little girl that she has been a very good girl but that pigeons need to be able to live outside, to be able to fly allover the city and be with its friends, so she won't be able to have a pigeon. He would be too sad without all his friends...and because he wouldn't be able to fly far...Tell her Santa said that she can take crumbs in a bag and scatter them where the pigeons like to play together (do you see any when you go shopping in the city centre??).
Show her this pic:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/08/09/article-2186034-026E45560000044D-189_468x315.jpg
You could even show her the part in Mary Poppins where the old lady feeds all the pigeons (remember it?) That way you would theoretically be 'proving' Santa's point...
You could get her one of thesehttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Children-Pull-String-Flapping-Wings-Gray-Plastic-Pigeon-Toy/360756591903?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D17235%26meid%3D1745928245699863263%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D8045%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D380664695355%26...
It's a bit tacky but it is a pigeon! smile
You could get her a pigeon teddy like this to cuddle in bed!
http://www.bigfatballoons.co.uk/product.php?products_id=958&gclid=COKwnYmn_bkCFZShtAodj3cA-w
Tell her it's very nice that she wants a pigeon, that it shows she is a lovely, caring little girl but that she must think of something else smile

LeoandBoosmum Fri 04-Oct-13 14:43:18

Repost as I forgot to activate links!
This is so cute! I would explain that Santa called you up and asked you to explain to your little girl that she has been a very good girl but that pigeons need to be able to live outside, to be able to fly allover the city and be with its friends, so she won't be able to have a pigeon. He would be too sad without all his friends...and because he wouldn't be able to fly far...Tell her Santa said that she can take crumbs in a bag and scatter them where the pigeons like to play together (do you see any when you go shopping in the city centre??).
Show her this pic:
i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/08/09/article-2186034-026E45560000044D-189_468x315.jpg
You could even show her the part in Mary Poppins where the old lady feeds all the pigeons (remember it?) That way you would theoretically be 'proving' Santa's point...
You could get her one of thesehttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Children-Pull-String-Flapping-Wings-Gray-Plastic-Pigeon-Toy/360756591903?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D17235%26meid%3D1745928245699863263%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D8045%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D380664695355%26...
It's a bit tacky but it is a pigeon! smile
You could get her a pigeon teddy like this to cuddle in bed!
www.bigfatballoons.co.uk/product.php?products_id=958&gclid=COKwnYmn_bkCFZShtAodj3cA-w
Tell her it's very nice that she wants a pigeon, that it shows she is a lovely, caring little girl but that she must think of something else smile

Thumbwitch Fri 04-Oct-13 14:47:46

DS1 wanted a blue unicorn for Christmas a couple of years ago. Threw me totally - I had no idea why he wanted that!

I managed to find one off ebay, about 4" long and very cute (obviously a soft toy!) and then about 2w before Christmas I found out the background story - Dora the sodding explorer had a real life size blue unicorn, and DS1 wanted one the same.
Luckily this gave me enough time to come up with reasons why Santa wouldn't be able to give DS1 a real life size blue unicorn, including that he couldn't take live animals on the sleigh, a life size one wouldn't fit down the chimney, unicorns don't exist, and so on.

He was still disappointed when he unwrapped it but not as much as he would have been if I hadn't prepped him a bit!

Caboodle Fri 04-Oct-13 14:50:55

Last Christmas the only thing my DS 2 asked for was an 'I Love Sprouts' T-shirt....what a star.

dd asked Father Christmas for hair when she was 2. (bless her she was quite a baldy, but who'd have thunk a 2 year old would notice.) Any way, I will always believe in Father Christmas because she got her wish. Her hair started growing and growing and she ended up with beautiful thick long hair.

DaleyBump Fri 04-Oct-13 15:19:01

My little sister wanted LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF GOLD and a rabbit, please.

spiderlight Fri 04-Oct-13 15:28:00

Angels there's a chap who goes to one of our local parks, lies on the grass and pours birdseed all over himself so that he's absolutely covered in pigeons. It is a little bit freaky (!) but your DD would probably love it!

Rosencrantz Fri 04-Oct-13 15:34:33

DD asked for a chicken one year. I bought her a comedy rubber chicken. It was actually a dog toy. It was very well received actually!

not read all the replies but I bought for exDH (long back story) a toilet sign with a pigeon on. They may do other signs!

reindeesandchristmastrees Fri 04-Oct-13 16:17:39

I had an axolotyl when i was little. It lived in a fish tank with a couple of biggish goldfish (he had eaten some smaller ones)

COCKadoodledooo Fri 04-Oct-13 16:37:47

At breakfast this morning ds1 totally out of the blue asked if he could have chickens for Christmas this year. (I may have replied that we'd probably be having turkey like usual because I wasn't listening properly blush ).

Footle Fri 04-Oct-13 16:57:35

Granddaughter aged three asked him for "Jelly. Green jelly " - her diet is a bit deficient in that sort of thing.

I have had a turkey/food problem too COCK - DD3 asked for guinea pigs, I misheard her and asked if she wanted roast potatoes to eat it with. Her face! blush

Bumbez Fri 04-Oct-13 17:10:12

A few years ago dd2 asked for a wand that could do real magic grin

slimyak Fri 04-Oct-13 17:29:17

I used to to a lot of work on allotments, I believe there is a pigeon fanciers website with lots of pigeon based things to buy. I only know as I was threatened with pigeon based baby grows when I went on mat leave.

DD2 at 2.5yo wants a tin opener and a bottle of wine that she will have when she' a big girl. DD1 wanted a Sellotape dispenser last year, which came in really useful when wrapping the surprises we got for her.

SamPull Fri 04-Oct-13 17:30:49

<relief that DD is content to try and catch pigeons and hasn't thought to ask for one of her own>

colleysmill Fri 04-Oct-13 17:35:12

Oh lordy this reminds me of last Christmas when ds then 3 announced early one Saturday morning, close to the day, for a pork chop.

Took me 3 days to work out he meant Dr Evil Pork Chop from toy story. Cue desperate hunt for said pork chop but his face on opening it was priceless accompanied by hands clapping and a loud "oh WELL DONE father Christmas!"

COCKadoodledooo Fri 04-Oct-13 17:37:20

Vicious grin

And Bumbez you just reminded me - my eldest dniece got a wand for her 3rd birthday, she was so excited about it! And then she waved it at her mum and looked soooo dejected and disappointed and said "Oh. It didn't work."

I have no idea what she was hoping for but the look on my dsis's face was priceless grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now