choccy tins that actually still taste like chocolate?

(34 Posts)
Monkeyandanimal Thu 03-Oct-13 10:07:17

Do you remember that exciting part of christmas when the tin (not plastic box, and bigger, deeper than cheapo-feeling tub of nowadays) of Quality Streets was opened? For us it was opened while we were putting up the tree, and we were allowed one or two as a real treat; the tin would last all through christmas time and was something special. I want to recreate that feeling but i need an alternative as modern tubs of so-called chocolates don't do it for me any more; QS have been Nestle-d and taste of grit, Roses taste similarly cheap, and Celebrations and heroes are just like everyday bars of mediocre chocolate. What else is there? I want choc that tastes like cadbury's used to! I don't necessarily want to go the route of expensive, Belgian style as actually they are a different thing altogether and don't fulfil the same purpose...and actually some of those begian truffles coat the mouth unpleasantly and actually don't taste of much anyway.......Any suggestions? Sorry for going on about such a trivial topic, but choc means a lot to me!!

DTisMYdoctor Fri 04-Oct-13 23:09:13

I got some nice Christmas cake tins from dunelm mill last year, which would be perfect for filling with chocs. Totally stealing the Ida of finding some nice chocs to fill it with this Christmas.

I like terrys segsations

IcedTeaOneSugar Sat 05-Oct-13 12:59:45

Those Lindor selection boxes look great, but a bit expensive per 100g.

I'm totally sold on the idea of buying a nice tin, just need to find one.

Amazon has some coca cola ones not sure if they're big enough There are a few designs.

Slippersocklover Sat 05-Oct-13 13:18:43

I think I'm going to steal adopt the idea of buying a lovely festive tin and filling it with my own chocolates, thank you flowers

I bought a tin on roses on the £4 offer from tesco as I wanted the tin to hold my Christmas cake as the one I've used the past few years has mysteriously disappeared. The chocolates were horrible (cheap and greasy tasting) and the tin is far too shallow! Very disappointing all round. I'll keep an eye on this thread for chocolate tips!

HugAndRoll Sat 05-Oct-13 13:43:50

I may do that and make my own truffles. Mmmm.

IcedTeaOneSugar Sun 06-Oct-13 15:50:19

We had thorntons Moments last year, I wasn't impressed.

I'm sure I read that M&S won an award recently for their boxed chocolates.

raisah Sun 06-Oct-13 16:05:23

M&S Swiss Collection is lovely aswell as their version of ferrerro rocher called Operetta.e

picnicbasketcase Sun 06-Oct-13 16:21:43

I was looking at the tubs of sweets in the supermarket the other day - I can't believe how much they've shrunk! I saw them being advertised at £4 or £5 and thought it sounded like a bargain and a good idea to put away as gifts but they weigh bog all nowadays. I miss the proper heavy old metal tins. It's not the same is it? < Old fogey emoticon >

There's a special offer on some M&S chocolates at the moment.
Half price on the chocolates and special offer on the Operetta and Cherry Brandy chocolates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now