Decorating the stair bannister - ideas

(56 Posts)
kiwidreamer Wed 02-Oct-13 18:03:53

Any not-to-expensive ideas around? I've love a garland, dripping with fancy baubles maybe potentially but I suspect that is going to be very pricey and DH would have a fit at that kind of money spent on Xmas decorations not that that generally stops me so does anyone have any inspired ideas for decorating the stair bannister tastefully I came up with tinsel on my own

HolgerDanske Fri 04-Oct-13 22:23:25

I am Danish, so I love the Nordic/Scandinavian homemade and crafted style. And they are generally easy and fairly simple to make :-)

I'm going to do a Scandi theme next year, and in 2015 I am thinking of doing proper kitsch (but tastefully done, somehow.

kiwidreamer Fri 04-Oct-13 14:14:13

Not clear cable ties?

Loving all the ideas, I'm definitely sold on doing something interesting... toss up between the Costco garland all decorated or a plain / maybe frosted garland with lights and baubles / maybe Nordic-ish decorations.

I wish we had enough space / money to do lovely, themed decorations each year but I just to be more creative I guess!

SoupDragon Fri 04-Oct-13 07:11:31

I have some of those that I think I got from a garden centre's Christmas department. smile

I know what you mean 70isaLimitNotaTarget, because I have them too.

I've not seen them since.

WRT fastening them.
I got some stretchy clear silicone fasteners from Lakeland a few years back.
They're like those tapes for the garden but invisible.
A loop at one end, you thread the strip through on it's side .There are little stopper things to hold in place when it's twisted straight.

(That was clear as mud wasn't it grin )

Snowgirl1 Thu 03-Oct-13 11:48:56

Whispers we have cats too. I just use plastic baubles, so that if they do get them off there's no damage done. To be honest they're not that bothered about it - but I guess it depends on how playful your cats are. Do yours attack your tree much? If not, you can probably get away with it.

I use a mixture of fairy lights and on the shorter bit outside the kitchen like knitted doll children lights.

Snowgirl1 Thu 03-Oct-13 11:46:34

HolgerDanske sadly my garland isn't long enough to wrap round...but maybe this is my excuse to upgrade to a nice new looong garland!

Vintagebeads I think I have some of those 3m hooks somewhere - I'll give those a try if I can convince DH to allow them to be attached to the newly painted bannister

Missmargot fishing wire is a good idea too. I'm also wondering if those clear-ish plastic cable ties would be an option.

Ah, I was going to do this this year! This thread has reminded me that we have cats though, ffs sad

Rubybrazilianwax Thu 03-Oct-13 11:13:16

Here are a few stair ideas
this is just using snowflakes instead of traditional garland
a change from the horizontal I a tidally think this would look amazing done in branches of red dogwood. You always see this growing around put of town shopping centres or industrial estates
plain greenery this would cost nothing to make!

Rubybrazilianwax Thu 03-Oct-13 11:08:44

I use a think wired one for mine. Lights go on first. Then I wire things on. I would advise picking up a packet of florist wires, about £1 for a florist. Cut these in half and bend into a hair pin shape to wire things on. Easier than using a glue gun especially of you want to remove things before packing away.
-pine ones (which you can spray gold/silver or leave natural)
-dried apples/oranges
-cinnamon sticks (don't buy in the supermarket, a bag of the 20cm long ones is about £5 on eBay. You can break them up and tie 3 with rafffia or ribbon to wire onto garland, tree or to Finian off a gift wrap)
- faux berries, poinsettias etc. You can get these anywhere. A berry branch can be taken apart if you unravel the paper ey put round the wire or cut with snappers. These can be wired on. Dunelm mill is great for realistic ponsettias. Those little candle rings you pick up in£1 shops can also be take apart.

Obviously you wouldn't put all see on, it would depend on the look you a going for. If rustic style, use raffia etc, or more glam you can add baubles in it too. Last year Tesco did a tub of e little mini baubles which look better than big ones on a garland.

For fresh foliage, fir branches, eucalyptus, holly will all keep for about a week before and beyond for a while. If you really want to go to town. You can ask in your florist for some plastic test tube holders. These are used to pack flowers like gerbera, they have a little suction lid on the top. You can add fresh flower head and fill with water it's like a little vase. But probably only mad obsessive people like me go that far.

MrsHoratioNelson Thu 03-Oct-13 10:29:45

Has anyone seen any pine garlands that are not wired? I have some wired ones but they never quite sit right on the bannister. My mum has some that are softer, more like very thick tinsel (but not sparkly) that are easier to thread through the spindles.

Vintagebeads Thu 03-Oct-13 09:05:53

snowgirl my mum has this problem she got stick on -clear in color- hooks.
They are the ones, where you pull the glue stuff out to remove them without marking the wall.These- but bigger- www.3mdirect.co.uk/p-541-6-x-mini-hooks-with-3m-command-strips-225g.aspx

Vintagebeads Thu 03-Oct-13 09:02:11

I got garland from Primark-I tied two togther to make the lenght of my stairs, and added balls (big box of 50)and some ribbon.It was not at all expensive.I got all of it from Primark and was surprised at how nice their stuff was.

missmargot Thu 03-Oct-13 08:40:57

Top tip is fishing wire- light, practically invisible and really strong so great for fastening decorations in place.

curiousgeorgie Wed 02-Oct-13 23:40:33

Wow, I'd love to do bears on every step but I fear the dog would have an absolute field day as soon as we went out and we would return to an absolute massacre! wink

Anyone have ideas for decorating fireplaces? I always do the same thing with two stockings and some bells, berries & garland on top and I'm bored with it!

link how about something like this. A string of lights and tieing ribbon up and down the wire. If you keep the colours white for the lights and red and green for the ribbon I think thats very festive.

HolgerDanske Wed 02-Oct-13 21:54:06

dementedma, have you maybe got windowsills? Garlands would look lovely fitted along the bottom of the window. Not sure how to do it, though...

Snowgirl, I would probably try to wind it round somehow? And use string or ribbon to fix it in place..

dementedma Wed 02-Oct-13 21:32:20

Sad we live in a flat and dont have any stairs, let alone spindles to decorate.

Snowgirl1 Wed 02-Oct-13 21:29:08

How do you fix your garlands? We don't have spindles - we've got a 1970s house with a 'horizontal' spindle. Anyone got any advice on how to attach garlands to one of these?

NoComet Wed 02-Oct-13 21:23:06

OP, you want un breakable and themed baubles for stairs, so B&Q or supermarket sets are perfect. Lights don't have to be dear.

Decent garlands are, unless you are lucky £££ and a pain to store

HolgerDanske Wed 02-Oct-13 20:47:19

Ohhh that's nice. And yes, 2m is a bit short actually, wouldn't run the full length of my bannister. All of these garlands could be added to with other decorations, if you wanted to. Much fun :-)

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 02-Oct-13 20:44:42

Aaarrgghh!! Sorry! clickable link

HolgerDanske Wed 02-Oct-13 20:44:02

Ohhh there's a nice fir one with little fruits and pinecones on it 2m long, £29.99

I want it for myself!!

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 02-Oct-13 20:44:02

I've just had a look at this year's Costco garlands - they are now £32.89 but are 9 foot (I thought 2m was a bit short when I typed it above!).

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_4,cos_4.9,cos_4.9.5/913255R?category=cos_4.9.5

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now