Decorating the stair bannister - ideas

(56 Posts)
kiwidreamer Wed 02-Oct-13 18:03:53

Any not-to-expensive ideas around? I've love a garland, dripping with fancy baubles maybe potentially but I suspect that is going to be very pricey and DH would have a fit at that kind of money spent on Xmas decorations not that that generally stops me so does anyone have any inspired ideas for decorating the stair bannister tastefully I came up with tinsel on my own

Snowgirl1 Thu 03-Oct-13 11:48:56

Whispers we have cats too. I just use plastic baubles, so that if they do get them off there's no damage done. To be honest they're not that bothered about it - but I guess it depends on how playful your cats are. Do yours attack your tree much? If not, you can probably get away with it.

WRT fastening them.
I got some stretchy clear silicone fasteners from Lakeland a few years back.
They're like those tapes for the garden but invisible.
A loop at one end, you thread the strip through on it's side .There are little stopper things to hold in place when it's twisted straight.

(That was clear as mud wasn't it grin )

I know what you mean 70isaLimitNotaTarget, because I have them too.

I've not seen them since.

SoupDragon Fri 04-Oct-13 07:11:31

I have some of those that I think I got from a garden centre's Christmas department. smile

kiwidreamer Fri 04-Oct-13 14:14:13

Not clear cable ties?

Loving all the ideas, I'm definitely sold on doing something interesting... toss up between the Costco garland all decorated or a plain / maybe frosted garland with lights and baubles / maybe Nordic-ish decorations.

I wish we had enough space / money to do lovely, themed decorations each year but I just to be more creative I guess!

HolgerDanske Fri 04-Oct-13 22:23:25

I am Danish, so I love the Nordic/Scandinavian homemade and crafted style. And they are generally easy and fairly simple to make :-)

I'm going to do a Scandi theme next year, and in 2015 I am thinking of doing proper kitsch (but tastefully done, somehow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now