Toys/games that kids play with for hours

(37 Posts)
normaleggy Tue 01-Oct-13 22:41:41

Which toys or games do your kids play with for hours on end? I have 2 dc (dd5 & ds4) and I want to get them a few joint presents to go under the tree that they can share and will hopefully get good use out of.

I am already getting some lego and a marble run, any other ideas? DS already has brio trains that he loves so would also like a similar idea for dd too.

Thanks in advance..

HahaHarrie Thu 03-Oct-13 20:15:33

My under 5s are devoted to...

pens, paper and boxes - drawing, sticking, cutting
play kitchen with wooden velcro food (Melissa & Doug), tea set, pots & pans.
Happyland
Duplo/lego
Sylvanian Families
Disney Princess figurines
Cars and trucks of every description
Trampoline
water & sand table
watering cans and bucket and spades
books - fiction and non-fiction
Usbourne sticker books
Doctor's medical kit
play piano (warning the 'concerts' are endless...)
soft toys for imaginary play.
playdoh
stamp sets
beads
jigsaws and puzzles
orchard games and other games
dress ups
hobby horse
ride on
scooters

Actually they play with all their toys all the time! They don't really play with traditional dolls. My youngest boy does occassionally but I would say that's the least played with toy. The dolls house is also used for storage as they make their own houses for the bookcase or boxes.

We only have one tiny thing of Playmobil which they do enjoy so I think I'm going for more of that for Christmas.

jamtoast12 Thu 03-Oct-13 19:10:39

Lego friends, design a friend and good old craft supplies.

hermioneweasley Thu 03-Oct-13 18:12:32

Lego,playmobil and Sylvanian Families

3rdnparty Thu 03-Oct-13 18:03:23

how about a castle? we had one a bit like this...
www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/le-toy-van-emerald-castle/

ds played with his for ages with boys and girls - we had some of the schleich figures and its been passed on through a few kids now- would recommend a wood one - we got off ebay in the first place as they last...

and meant people could get him figures/weapons etc for gifts - playmobil/lego/toy soldiers/teddy bears all took part in the great adventures we also used cardboard boxes for other castles..... so they could go visiting (by train of course the brio sneaked in too...)

A box of dominoes - mine built with them and used them to make parking spaces etc as well as actually playing dominoes

HappyAsEyeAm Thu 03-Oct-13 15:43:39

A range of Schleich animals/birds, a barn, some fencing and some trees.

DS1 has loads of these animals, which have cost a fortune, but the cost has been massively spread out as he spends his pocket money on them, has had some of them in an advent calendar, etc. I think the smaller ones are just as good as the larger ones.

He is 5.8 and plays rainforests, safari, farm, zoo etc for ages. Then all the animals go to school. Then they go on a class outing. Then on holiday. Then he makes a river out of whatever he can find and they start to drown and need rescuing. Etc ...

I would 100% recommend them.

EleanorRugby Thu 03-Oct-13 13:45:10

My 2 dds (3 and 6) love Hexbugs. They spend ages setting up track and watching them scuttle around.
The battle bridge set is currently half price at Toys R Us (£14.99). This is a good set for a joint present as it comes with 2 bugs.
Buy extra batteries though - you can packs of 10 cheap from Amazon

m.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Toys/Action-Figures-and-Playsets/Hexbug-Nano-Bridge-Battle-Set/0086212?searchPosition=

DD plays with samll figurs for hours, she has a box that has a load of different characters from the disney films, a few random McDonalds smurfs, playmobil people, mini lalaloopsy's etc ad she amuses herself for hours, she usually brings in her schleich dinosaurs and some happyland people too!

trice Thu 03-Oct-13 00:06:12

Ps3.

Zhu Zhu pets.

Wax tablet.

Den building set.

Cardboard boxes.

mumnosbest Wed 02-Oct-13 23:52:00

DD 6 loves lego friends, sylvanians and polly pockets (the tiny ones). Also card dress-up books )lots in the works)

Rosvita Wed 02-Oct-13 23:48:57

I feel bad-my Ds (5) doesn't really play with 'toys' (never has) other than his wrestling figures.He likes drawing a lot and would happily play on electronic games (education city,apps on my phone,wii,Xbox etc- but obviously these are limited) or watch the likes of total wipeout/wrestling all day if I let him but otherwise with his toys I have to encourage him to play with them.For example today with his friend round I got out he marble run and he was getting in to playing with that but only for a limited time. Dd (2) on the other hand loves her dolls,happy land,playdoh and puzzles,play food/kitchen,dolls house and drawing.

curiousgeorgie Wed 02-Oct-13 23:34:37

My DD is almost three and plays with her easel, a pad and pens for hours and hours.

Also a big box of play food and her kitchen is a big hit.

And...iPad! (Oops!)

WeAllHaveWings Wed 02-Oct-13 22:51:51

Lots of good sized toy dinosaurs. esprcially the really nice Schleidch models and the elc ones. And dinosaur books and encyclopaedia. He used to have 3 or 4 of the same type so he could have herds for the meat eater to ambush. We had lots of dinosaur dvd's like walking with dinosaurs which he loved, also dinosaur movies.

He's 9 now and still has the schleidch models displayed in his room.

fiddlemethis Wed 02-Oct-13 22:49:24
fiddlemethis Wed 02-Oct-13 22:48:15

These are amazing for children that age, [http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200970609319]
They'll enjoy playing it on their own or with each other and its quite fun for adults too.

bymoonlight Wed 02-Oct-13 22:36:16

pokesandprodsforthelasttime - I think you have dd1's twin grin

Iamsanta - How do you dc play with the slide for hours? In this house it falls apart within seconds

MegBusset Wed 02-Oct-13 22:32:18

My DSes are 4 and 6 and have pretty much grown out of the wooden train set sad

But they love and play with endlessly:
Lego
Playmobil
Wooden dollhouse (this is where the Playmo people live!)
Trash Packs (in themselves not brilliant toys but they play with them for hours upon hours. I'd say 80% of their play is Trash Pack-based.)

normaleggy Wed 02-Oct-13 22:04:02

Thanks everyone, some great ideas. I might go down the playmobil route, I remember my brother and I playing with it for hours as kids.

Joan I know my dd could play with trains, I don't stop her, she's just not interested, I actually bought it for her first!

ballstoit Wed 02-Oct-13 21:03:41

Also have buckets of wooden blocks now, and wooden shape sorters. Both £10.

GooseyLoosey Wed 02-Oct-13 08:48:15

Dd and her friends can still do sylvanians for hours (and they're 9).

Ds (10) can do anything with a box with string, wire, selloptape, split pins, batteries and whatever other small things I can think of in. Add a copy of a science book and the dangerous book for boys and he's away.

StitchingMoss Wed 02-Oct-13 08:44:34

Playmobil, playmobil, playmobil smile.

Flicktheswitch Wed 02-Oct-13 08:44:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fuzzpig Wed 02-Oct-13 08:44:05

3birthdaybunnies, I got this recently, DS plays with it endlessly making different runways etc

fuzzpig Wed 02-Oct-13 08:41:31

I have a 4yo DS and a 6yo DD:

Lego
Wooden train set
Marble run
Numicon (not really a toy, but still great)
Toy food
Playmobil
Happy land
Wooden bricks
Toy cars

I have looked at the Kapla before but keep thinking dd2 (nearly 7) who is the main builder is growing out of it, then she gets them all out and builds something else. Will try to remember to think about Aldi in Nov - unfortunately our nearest is 15 miles away. There are citiblocs but not sure if they are as good. One review said that they warped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now