Presents for people who don't want 'things'

(64 Posts)
iheartdusty Sun 29-Sep-13 21:38:21

I'd love to hear your suggestions, as nearly everyone I buy for is in this category now, mostly adults over 40.

Charity gifts/ goats etc are always a possibility, but please add your other ideas!

So far I have come up with:

Magazine subscription.
( eg this new cycling mag on special offer, 3 issues for £5)

Theatre vouchers
National Art pass
Cookery course
Food foraging course

iheartdusty Sat 05-Oct-13 22:17:51

shock smile

fuzzpig Sat 05-Oct-13 22:05:13

I actually hate being given calendars or diaries blush people only need one so you risk duplicating, and if it's not one I love, I don't enjoy looking at it every day! I prefer to choose my own [fussy]

Already got my 2014 diary from the Tate, tis gorgeous.

Been thinking more about vouchers for my DSDs, restaurant maybe but also I'm going to see if my local bowling alley does gift vouchers.

iheartdusty Sat 05-Oct-13 20:23:45

calendars are consumable

some nice ones by independent artists here redbubble

or etsy

shrinkingnora Fri 04-Oct-13 22:54:10

Brewery tour at a local brewery.

IceCreamForCrow Fri 04-Oct-13 22:32:58

Amazon vouchers.

iheartdusty Fri 04-Oct-13 22:31:40

just bought a voucher for the National Gardens scheme open gardens booklet for 2014, so they can open the voucher then the book will be delivered when it's ready.

iheartdusty Fri 04-Oct-13 22:29:28

that's a fab idea isleofright

IsleOfRight Thu 03-Oct-13 22:57:21

Thinking about what I would like, I'd like things that I wouldn't think to buy myself but I would def use. Eg I have young kids and we make a lot of fairy cakes. A gift box of nice coloured fairy cake cases and cool sprinkles and a funky food colouring and edible glitter could cost you £15 or less and would be the idea family gift for us. In fact I have just come up with the idea now and am very proud of it - think I will put that together for some of the families I know!

Lurleene Thu 03-Oct-13 20:26:52

You're welcome Fuzzpig.

Lurleene Thu 03-Oct-13 20:26:04

I'm already a member of English Heritage and National Trust but recently found out that the Historic Houses Association has loads of properties in my area. Membership could make a nice gift for someone like me who enjoys snooping looking round big houses but has exhausted the local NT / EH ones.

The houses are all privately owned and there are more to choose from than NT and EH put together. Here's the website:

www.hha.org.uk/

fuzzpig Thu 03-Oct-13 20:24:57

Oh that's awesome thank you!

Lurleene Thu 03-Oct-13 20:09:37

Fuzzpig there are some Segway gifts to choose from here:

Buy a Gift Segway

GrrArgh Thu 03-Oct-13 15:35:49

Meal out
fine wine (mail order)

fuzzpig Thu 03-Oct-13 15:34:06

It just occurred to me that DSS (21) might enjoy trying a Segway - wonder if you can get vouchers for that?

Rooners Thu 03-Oct-13 12:00:36

I have a mother who hates being given things. So we agreed not to buy for each other. The children will make her cards sometimes or buy her something very tiny.

I honestly think that Christmas gifts are best kept for children, and if someone doesn't need anything then really what is the point?

I don't need anything either, well if I do I tend to get it for myself iyswim. When buying stuff becomes such a chore then maybe it is time to cut off from the obligation to spend, you're helping save the planet too.

The Spicery are very good for people who like interesting food.

DH was given a 3 month voucher for Christmas last year. Every month he got a spice kit with instructions and a recipe for a particular recipe. The recipes were all very easy to follow, the food was delicious and we tried some really interesting flavours.

He enjoyed it so much that he gave me the same thing for our anniversary (different recipes though).

I'd recommend it 100%.

MinesAPintOfTea Thu 03-Oct-13 11:51:59

Definitely not vouchers: you have restricted where they can spend money without actually going to the thought of choosing a gift.

DH and I generally buy each other tickets to something, but then we go out together so its not an imposed cost. Why don't you suggest you will treat them to a single pint meal out or in, with you doing all the work, as a family, it would probably be more appreciated than something you can wrap up.

fuzzpig Thu 03-Oct-13 11:26:43

It is a 'thing' but I'm asking for art this year. Am on a mission decluttering our home and in the process of ditching loads of Stuff I began to realise what really makes me happy. So from my parents I've asked for a framed print of The Snail by Matisse smile

You have to really know the person's taste to do that though - DH and my parents have been spot on in the past but they are the only people I really talk about art with.

And it's daft really, I would never actually think to buy something like that for myself, even though the Snail has been a favourite for years.

I'm also going to get a framed poster of DD's favourite (starry night) although obviously she will get actual 'things' too, being 6 grin

fuzzpig Thu 03-Oct-13 11:17:19

Oh and DSS was happy with a ticketmaster gift card (he's an adult so no worries about people having to take them to the show he chose with his gf)

fuzzpig Thu 03-Oct-13 11:15:50

Cinema vouchers went down really well with my DSDs - also got them tokens for the local milkshake bar which had them hopping with excitement. Unfortunately they loved it so much they now have unlimited cinema cards (one paid by me in exchange for fortnightly babysitting grin) so can't use that again! I may do more food related vouchers in the future though - they tend to stick to mcDs as it's the cheapest but I think they'd appreciate something a bit nicer.

Personally I would love to have a restaurant voucher to somewhere nice as DH and I hardly ever go out to eat properly.

SunshineAndPeardrops Thu 03-Oct-13 09:38:07
Follyfoot Tue 01-Oct-13 21:57:07

Glad you like the idea, he's enjoyed it so much that he has it as a birthday or Christmas present from someone in the family every year now. More info here: https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/os-getamap.html

The OS one sounds really good Folly - I'd like that and I think so would my brother.

YouHaveAGoodPoint Mon 30-Sep-13 22:58:46

FollyFoot. That's a good present, I would love that myself.

I have been inspired by another thread How about a Personalised Number Plate. grin grin

Follyfoot Mon 30-Sep-13 22:51:24

Do any of them like walking? One of my DH's favourite presents ever was a year's subscription to Ordnance Survey mapping. He can mark things on the maps and print off the exact sections he wants. Think you can also download your routes to gps. Its only £20.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now