I can't be the only one who struggles with Christmas/Birthday present ideas for certain people. I thought threads with suggestions would be a good idea and this is for ideas for ladies in their

(40 Posts)
MissStrawberry Sat 28-Sep-13 21:03:54

60's to 70's.

I have three women who fall into this category. They are friends, not family and live far away so not that close that I know what they like to do for hobbies/fun etc.

Criteria - needs to be posted.

One recently had a birthday and I struggled and now Christmas is coming too.

Help please.

onlysettleforbutterflies Sat 28-Sep-13 21:07:57

Magazine subscription.

SPBisResisting Sat 28-Sep-13 21:10:54

We are getting mum and dad a National Trust subscriptn

cece Sat 28-Sep-13 21:12:08

hand lotions, really posh ones.

Guitargirl Sat 28-Sep-13 21:12:50

Tastecard? They always have deals on them so no need to pay full price.

MissStrawberry Sat 28-Sep-13 21:19:35

Magazine sub is a great idea but no idea what one I would get. Will investigate.

NT sub no good as mobility issues but would have been good for PIL if they hadn't already got one. Shucks.

Hand lotions - bit predictable but then I like getting useful presents so I guess others might.

What is Tastecard?

Thanks all flowers.

toucancancan Sat 28-Sep-13 21:21:58

A lovely cushion or leather gloves.

onlysettleforbutterflies Sat 28-Sep-13 21:24:21

My mum is mid sixties and loves her prima subscription, could also look at local ones like Cheshire life, sure there are similar across the country.

MissStrawberry Sat 28-Sep-13 21:28:02

I keep thinking about gloves as it is cold where they are but I am worried really good warm ones will be £££.

Guitargirl Sat 28-Sep-13 21:29:00

Tastecard is a card which gives the holder 50% off certain restaurants for a year.

I bought one about this time last year when they were half price to go in a hamper I was making for my parents.

onlysettleforbutterflies Sat 28-Sep-13 21:31:14

Have a look in tkmaxx for good value gloves.

Love the sound of the tastecard!

everydayaschoolday Sat 28-Sep-13 21:33:55

chiffon scarf
leather gloves (seconded!)
their favourite scent (perfume or body lotion)
hamper ordered online and delivered direct (harrods obv v lovely, but Lakeland do really nice selections too)
'Hotel Chocolat' chocolate selection (really yum)
Photo frame (Debenhams, John Lewis do nice selections)

everydayaschoolday Sat 28-Sep-13 21:35:14

oh yes, TKMaxx have excellent accessories. Good call.

headlesslambrini Sat 28-Sep-13 21:38:13

handbag
scarfe
gloves
necklace
purse
books
slippers
cardi
something for their hobbies
theatre tickets
DVD

MissStrawberry Sat 28-Sep-13 21:38:41

Might work for someone else but they don't eat out.

Oh, this is hard.

Budget is small so my ideas are too £££.

SoonToBeSix Sat 28-Sep-13 21:40:20

Yours magazine is popular for that age group older 60,s and 70s

I've been buying in laws ticket line vouchers for years so they can book the show/concert of their choice

doorbellringer Sat 28-Sep-13 22:00:14

Posh smelly candles or soaps.

makemineapinot Sat 28-Sep-13 22:01:43

Look at the fab bargain/discount code thread here in Christmas, the white company are doing 20%off and free p&p if u order before tomorrow at midnight. They do love hand creams, bubble baths etc. or look at the hotel chocolate deal at the mo if you sign up to their taste thing - get the deal then cancel. You could get your dh/dp to sign up to and your mum or someone then get 3 lots of posh crocs for about £6 or £7 instead of about £20.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlackandGold Sat 28-Sep-13 22:08:38

What about a good paperback/book token/garden vouchers?

Maybe get something nice delivered from Betty's? www.bettys.co.uk/

Have some flowers delivered - always very welcome

I am 62

what I love is good red wine.

not cardies, scarves, purses, gloves, magazine subscriptions or any other "old lady" stuff

just saying grin

TheYamiOfYawn Sat 28-Sep-13 22:27:04

I'm in my thirties and would love cardies, purses, scarves, gloves etc. Possibly I am old beyond my years, but as long as they are tasteful and of good quality, and not hideous and frumpy, then they would be suitable for any age, surely? I treasured the cashmere-lined leather gloves I was given in my twenties.

everydayaschoolday Sat 28-Sep-13 23:05:09

I'm with you Yami. I'm 40 next year and would love cardies, purse, scarves, gloves etc. "My name is Everyday and I like M&S..." must be old before my time too grin.

Chottie Sun 29-Sep-13 05:15:34

How about a really nice lipstick?

Or an afternoon tea for two voucher?
Or invite them round to your home for afternoon tea?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now