Can I eat a boozy Xmas cake if pg?

(23 Posts)
bymoonlight Thu 26-Sep-13 13:26:31

I will be almost ready to pop at Christmas.

I normally make Delias cake which I feed with Brandy up till the big day.

Can I still do that this year?

jennymac Thu 26-Sep-13 13:49:03

Of course! The cooking process absorbs the alcohol in the cake. No danger of getting drunk on it!

starshaker Thu 26-Sep-13 14:15:13

Personally id avoid it. Yes you cook out the alcohol it was soaked in but when you feed it on the run up to christmas that alcohol stays in the cake. Why not make an alcohol free cake instead?

bymoonlight Thu 26-Sep-13 14:27:00

It was the feeding part I was more worried about. How do I make a booze free cake?

What do I use instead?

TwoStepsBeyond Thu 26-Sep-13 14:32:56

I would have thought that the tiny amount of alcohol in a normal sized piece of cake wouldn't really be cause for concern.

If you're worried, then just don't feed it, but perhaps make it a little later so that it doesn't dry out.

starshaker Thu 26-Sep-13 14:38:01

this is the one ill be using and it tells you to use orange juice instead.

oohdaddypig Thu 26-Sep-13 14:43:17

sorry, I might be being thick here but really the amount of alcohol in a boozy cake will be negligible.

Is it the alcohol content you are worried about? Just how much will be in said cake and can I have some

I had a glass of wine a week in my pregnancies and felt it was a nice weekly treat.

Depends how much you are planning to eat in one sitting and how much booze you've fed it with, but I can't imagine it'll be anything less than absolutely fine.

I've pondered feeding it with chai tea in place of brandy, as we have an ex-alcoholic, teetotal relative who loves Xmas cake. I don't actually know if it would work though!

MarjorieAntrobus Thu 26-Sep-13 15:00:08

It'll be a tiny amount in a slice, surely?

bymoonlight Thu 26-Sep-13 15:52:46

Yes it was the alcohol content I was worried about.

StuntGirl Thu 26-Sep-13 19:00:54

I'd do it.

Janek Thu 26-Sep-13 19:07:43

Yes.

blush I avoided it during my pregnancies, but I fully appreciate I may have been over cautious.

BonaDea Thu 26-Sep-13 20:02:17

Of course! I ate this and also drank some bubbly on Christmas Day last year.

BonaDea Thu 26-Sep-13 20:13:15

Holy hell - how much are you planning on eating?? I seriously think many on this thread are being very cautious!!

FatPenguin Thu 26-Sep-13 20:16:01

I wouldn't worry about it, it's only a slice I'd eat the whole cake
What's the point of Christmas cake without brandy it would be rubbish.

mychildrenarebarmy Thu 26-Sep-13 20:18:10

If you feed it as much brandy as I feed mine then either have very small pieces or none. grin

bymoonlight Thu 26-Sep-13 20:22:05

What is the minimum I can feed it? I normally feed it quite a lot grin

BonaDea Thu 26-Sep-13 20:23:22

Just do what you normally would and eat it and enjoy it. Seriously.

Oblomov Thu 26-Sep-13 20:27:47

Please don't worry. The alcoholic content is totally minimal. Those who are telling you not to eat it are more than over zealous, they are the sort of people who are not really helping the cause.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Yes it will be fine. Do you get pissed from cake? If not, then it's fine.

oohdaddypig Thu 26-Sep-13 21:38:56

I'm borderline neurotic when pregnant and I'd happily eat the entire cake without worrying!!

<peckish>

SizzleSazz Thu 26-Sep-13 21:41:10

My children are partial to a bit of Xmas cake so I must be a terrible parent if it would cause any harm to a pregnant woman.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now