Is anyone else planning on buying second hand toys for their kids presents?

(66 Posts)
SmokedMackerel Thu 19-Sep-13 11:03:27

My DC are both really into playmobil, so I have been lurking on eBay trying to find a good bargain, starting now to try and avoid Christmas rush :-) .

As far as i'm concerned, it's a great idea - get more for my money, ability to personalise the set a bit to my DC interests (planning on getting figures that look like the members of our family) won't have to fill the recycling bin with loads of packaging on Xmas day etc etc.

But most people I have told about it have been a bit negative, so I have had to go online to try and find people to share my enthusiasm.

So, who else is buying second hand stuff, and can anyone recommend other good places besides eBay to look?

Equimum Fri 07-Nov-14 12:26:42

We've bought DS a huge wooden railway set with lots of Thomas trains. He loves playing with these sets, but to get a decent sized set was going to be ££££! Looked on a selling site and got a huge box for the price of a small loop and one train new! DS is only 2, so he's not going to care.

On the other hand, though, I have persuaded DH that we get him a new scooter for his BDay as I'm not sure how many children they last, and would prefer to buy one that will do our next DC as well

AmeliaPeabody Fri 07-Nov-14 00:56:56

Yes, a 'new' theatre play and scenery for a miniature toy theatre we have.

DixieNormas Thu 06-Nov-14 21:42:50

Not this year but we did last year, got loads of little people and peppa pig. Ds3&4 love it all

elQuintoConyo Thu 06-Nov-14 21:39:58

DS has a secondhand bike coming his way this year: €20 down from €135. Yes, thank you very much grin

Also mixed in there is a hand-me-down bendy spiderman figure and xylophone. Friends gave us a big placcy table that converts into a blackboard table with matching stool last month, he loves it. His big sjt-on motorbike was 5th hand, at least. We also have our eye out for a 2nd hand Wendy house

When I was8 I got my first bike - that was older than me! I didn't care, I had a bike! For my 18th birthday I got antiques. Nothing wrong with 2nd hand, antiques, passing things on etc.

KnittedJimmyChoos Thu 06-Nov-14 21:29:18

get more for my money

Yes yes, def, children have little concept of where and how old toys are, they just like toys.

I have always sourced from lots of places based on whether my child would like it or not.

Why buy one gift from JL say, when could buy that gift plus four more from charity sale?

Last year I really liked the tool bench toy for my 18month. it was 14 I think in JL I was so tempted to buy, when to Charity sale and there was one for £2!! a saving of £12, so I picked up a few more lovely things for very cheap and also saved ££! win win, win.

Tortoise Thu 06-Nov-14 21:20:18

I buy as much as possible 2nd hand.
Got DD1 a phone off ebay. Wouldn't be able to afford a more decent one if it was new.

Desperatelyseeking I have a bundle of zhu zhu stuff to sell. Not looking for much but courier may bump up the price unless you live in Somerset!

zobey Thu 06-Nov-14 21:06:02

This year is the 1st that my dd has got all brand new stuff. She's 3 in Jan. Looking at her pile it looks like nothing compared to previous two years. But more money was spent this year.

oobedobe Thu 06-Nov-14 19:44:53

When DD1 was 2 I got her a fantastic Plan Toys modern dollhouse second hand it was completely furnished, with people for $100 (retail is about $300+) it was in great condition and I loved my bargain! Sadly she never really played with it and it was very bulky - I sold it three years later for more than I had paid and put the money towards a wooden castle which both DDs love.

Have also found some great games second hand (the ones kids are desperate for but only play with for 10 mins a time) buckaroo, hungry hippos etc

My latest deal for this year was a used Playmobil advent calendar (with all pieces and boxes etc) for $2!

Obviously they get lots of new stuff too but I do look for deals such as 25% off or price matching. DD1's main gift is a furreal puppy which should be $70 but have just found it for $45.

rocketjam Thu 06-Nov-14 16:42:44

Yes I have, every year, alongside new toys and they've never noticed...

Franke Thu 06-Nov-14 16:24:32

Ditto buying wii games and dvds secondhand. I usually get them in Amazon marketplace. I'll get books if I can be sure they're in pretty good condition.

ismellonehugerat Thu 06-Nov-14 16:18:50

I buy loads of things in the charity shop and eBay and sometimes I find decent things to give as presents.

It save you money, stops things going in to landfill and you have happy children. What is there not to love? I don't tell people about my buying habits though as people can be very sniffy. More fool them though!

youbethemummylion Thu 06-Nov-14 16:16:25

Yes I have done this lots and have met with lots of disapproval however the kids have been more than happy with the DSLites, tablets, DS games, Xbox games, chess sets, bikes they have got for Christmas and birthdays which we couldn't have afforded to get them new.

Norfolkandchance1234 Thu 06-Nov-14 16:05:07

A few years back I really wanted to get hold of a fisher price castle that was discontinued and found it for next to nothing by chance at a Boot fair. DS and I were delighted.

Norfolkandchance1234 Thu 06-Nov-14 16:02:56

I have bought ELC happy land stuff in the past on eBay. I bought my DD a gorgeous dolls house with tons of furniture and bits and pieces for a fraction of the price from Gumtree. I buy all their bikes second hand. I buy DS games on eBay then resell them once used.

Grumpyoldblonde Thu 06-Nov-14 15:34:06

Hi,
my daughter is a bit older now and I have no problem with buying 2nd hand Wii games and Nintendo games and also DVD's -I would not be able to afford 35.00 games as stocking fillers, a fiver however.. and she gets what she wants and has no idea, not that she would even care tbh

EmGee Thu 06-Nov-14 14:08:32

DH and I have totally different views on this! I think it's a great idea to buy secondhand/from charity shops etc. Why on earth not, if the item is in good condition?
My family are all into Oxfam and the like - in fact, one year my mum bought my Christmas present from Oxfam (a coat from Next). DH's eyes nearly popped out of his head in horror!

IssyStark Wed 05-Nov-14 23:24:50

We get second hand for our's. Last year ds2 even got ds1's toys, which had been in the loft, wrapped up. He was only just 2 and basically did not care.

JavaSparrow Wed 05-Nov-14 21:41:10

For the last few years at least half of the dc's presents have been second hand (charity shops, eBay, hand me downs). Leaves me money to spend on beautiful boxes, so they are excited and brand new "extras". So a second hand garage wrapped beautifully with brand new cars as an example.

This year, rather than Lego advent calendar, I am hoping to get 24 cool Lego characters from eBay via bundles like this: m.ebay.co.uk/itm/261644001441

They get want they want and I can afford the mortgage and wine, works out for everyone. grin

Theonlyoneiknow Wed 05-Nov-14 20:15:38

Absolutely! The next nct sale is the end of November so hoping to get some bargains then!

blacktreaclecat Wed 05-Nov-14 19:12:10

DS has some Raa Raa figures from us and a load of Happyland and postman pat stuff from grandparents for Christmas courtesy of eBay and FB sites. I have no problem with it, as long as it's in good condition. The Happyland was grubby but a good clean and new batteries and it's mostly good as new.

scrappydappydoo Wed 05-Nov-14 17:58:01

Yes - I pick things up throughout the year - mostly in charity shops.
Crazy prices - unopened box of a sylvanian family set £2, unopened mlp balloon play set £3, happyland garage with cars £5 etc. I think as long as it looks in good condition its fine smile. People can be so snobby about things like this.

fuzzpig Wed 05-Nov-14 17:42:00

Got top trumps for both my DCs' stockings on eBay as the ones I know they'll love (Pixar Incredibles and Roald Dahl) are out of print. They won't notice and wouldn't care if they did!

duckbilled Wed 05-Nov-14 16:35:13

I love finding second hand bargains for dd, already have a few tucked away for the big jolly man to deliver wink

Anasta7553 Wed 05-Nov-14 16:18:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Definitely. Last year we got DD a huge collection of dressing up clothes - they were all sourced on ebay (couple of £ each) so she got lots more than if I'd bought them all new.

This year I'm on the lookout for some moshi monsters stuff - HINT - if anyone wants to sell me any? grin

DD is none the wiser at 4 1/2 if it's new or 2nd hand tbh! I don't care what anyone thinks either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now