DH wants to buy me a special present for having DD

(22 Posts)
HelgatheHairy Wed 18-Sep-13 21:15:33

So DH asked me what I wanted this year for Christmas/my Birthday (29th December). I said I was thinking of an electric toothbrush and he said didn't I want something nicer that reminded me of DD and I've gone kind of blank.

There's a tradition of a diamond/eternity ring where we live but I don't want a ring. I was thinking of diamond studs but I don't wear earrings a lot. Thinking of a nice watch but not sure - any other ideas?? Budget probably up to €400.

Oreocrumbs Wed 18-Sep-13 21:56:36

Honestly if you don't have anything in mind, then get the toothbrush and 'bank' the special present.

We did that this year, it was my 30th, we decided that I would get something special and I just haven't seen anything yet. So when I do come across it, I will get it then and it will still be my special present IYKWIM.

When you are spending lots of money, it should be on something you really want. There are lots of lovely things you could spend that money on - I've seen some lovely watches as an example, but I think it better to save it until you see something that you think is very special.

HeyJudith Wed 18-Sep-13 22:13:45

Get the present this year - I'm sure you will think of something, and by next year the moment could have gone. (or you have other expenses). It is a lovely thought of your DH and kind of rude in a way not to take his lovely offer up.

I wouldn't not get a ring just because it's tradition where you are, but if you aren't keen anyway that's different. What about a Tiffany's necklace (if you like that sort of thing) there are many varieties not just the well-known designs, you could have a look on the website for ideas. It's a nice thought that in the dim and distant future you could be lending it to DD for a special occasion smile or pass it on to her.

Another idea is a charm bracelet, so you could add to it over the years. If Pandoras aren't your thing then you could get a traditional one. Links of London do some lovely plain ones as do Tiffany's.

If you would wear a watch then that's nice for every day but it might not last as long a piece of jewellery. I personally wouldn't go for a watch 400 euros because they tend to be fashion watches in that price bracket and won't necessarily be looking pristine/working correctly/still be in fashion in 10, 15 + years time.

Something simple like a gold twist bangle (if you wear gold) is unlikely to date, always look good and hold it's value well (nice to know but not essential of course for a sentimental gift).

I would browse jewellers stores and places like Links and Tiffany's online just to get an idea of what 400euros will purchase and get an idea for designs you like.

But please don't leave it until next year. Now is when you DH wants to treat you, let him have his pleasure from getting you a lovely reminder of what has been a very special time in both your lives smile

DivingBell Wed 18-Sep-13 22:18:38

I think Judith gives excellent advice!

onlysettleforbutterflies Wed 18-Sep-13 22:24:09

One of those finger print necklaces. .

NumTumDeDum Wed 18-Sep-13 22:24:38

What about a locket with a picture of your dh and your dd?

BikeRunSki Wed 18-Sep-13 22:26:39

When I was 30 DH gave me a Tiffany "A" (my intitial), then when DS was born he gave me an "S" (DS's initial) and by chance I also got a Links "A". After DD was born we got a jeweller to make me her initial, then go them all mounted on a bangle. I love it and plan to add any grandchildren in time to come.

HelgatheHairy Thu 19-Sep-13 10:22:25

I love the idea of a necklace she could borrow! Thanks so much for the idea. I used to have a Tiffany's necklace i loved that I bought when I was 19 but I lost it.

I like the initial idea as well. At least I have ideas to work on now.

Thanks all.

hamncheese Thu 19-Sep-13 10:26:55

My DH got me a locket with DS name and DOB engraved on the back, and I put pics of newborn DS in. I love it.

Fozziebearmum2be Thu 19-Sep-13 10:30:07

LOVE the necklace/bracelet idea. Got married last year and me and my mum spent ages going through jewellery for me to wear for my 'something old'. She didn't really have any old jewellery from her (only costume type jewellery) so settled on my granddads wedding ring which I hid in my bouquet.

But, would have loved to wear something of my mums on the day.

OP - do get something this year if you find something you love which fits the bill smile

Editededition Thu 19-Sep-13 10:36:38

If this is a celebration resent, then does it matter that it is not an "everyday" item but something special that you would not otherwise own?

I think the earrings are a perfect idea, but if you are still not keen.....what about a charm bracelet that he can add to, with special events in the future? there are some really nice 'modern' options around these days.
(racking brains to think of the name of the one DD has....will come back)

Editededition Thu 19-Sep-13 10:39:53
ShoeWhore Thu 19-Sep-13 10:44:54

What are you into OP?

I really love shoes but usually buy them in office/schuh/Dune kind of shops and when dc1 was born dh bought me a pair of Manolos. They are fabulous and I chose a fairly classic shape so they don't look dated - I don't wear them all that often but it feels very special when I do smile

Not saying you should get shoes but I would think of what you really love and take it from there. My family's present to me for a recent milestone birthday is a piece of art (I am still searching for the right one!) but I love that idea as well.

HelgatheHairy Thu 19-Sep-13 11:23:30

I found a necklace I really like on the Tiffany's website but I'm also wondering how much it would cost to get something custom made.

Thinking of a heart within a heart within a heart to symbolise DH, me and DD.

Thanks for the inspiration!

My mum bought me a bracelet with 4 silver "plates" and had mine, dh's and my 2 boys names engraved on them, it's beautiful.

In fact, type into google "the Bradford exchange", they do some beautiful customised jewellery. Hope you find something you like.

MrsZimt Thu 19-Sep-13 21:20:36

I would go to a local jeweller and find out about a custom made necklace/pendant.
After my 3rd (and last) child my dh had a ring custom made for me (never found THE one I liked in 10 years and knew exactly what I wanted) and all our names are engraved inside. I love it and never take it off.

carolmillen Thu 19-Sep-13 21:22:28

I don't rate Tiffany's. Don't get me wrong - I love the packaging and the Audrey Hepburn linkage etc etc and I've had a few things from there in my younger years. But you are paying for that. I think you could get better value elsewhere.

BlackMogul Thu 19-Sep-13 21:41:39

I always buy jewellery that is secondhand. You can get wonderful pieces but a lot cheaper than new. It's fun to look around the antique markets. Bought rings for both daughters when they were born and first one just gone to DD1 on her 21st birthday. It cost about £350, 21 years ago, but DD was thrilled with it. Monica Vinander has lovely modern jewellery at reasonable prices and I like the Tiffany lower case letter silver pendants.

BeaLola Fri 20-Sep-13 00:45:10

I would go for a necklace or a classic bangle and have it engraved.

As a complete alternative to jewellery what about a bronze resin or similar cast of your DD tiny hand or foot?

StarsAboveYou Fri 20-Sep-13 00:51:55

I got a lovely bracelet with the birthstone for the month of DS's birth.

I hope you find something you love OP

SarahAndFuck Fri 20-Sep-13 17:17:35

I got a silver necklace with three dog tag style pendents on it, one for each of my children.

One one side I had their names stamped and on the other side a small symbol (two have stars and one has a sunshine) so it doesn't matter which way around I wear it.

It cost about £30 on etsy.com and it gets complimented a lot.

Etsy have all sorts of things like this to suit any budget. You can have all sorts of things put on them to make them personal, names, dates, the co-ordinates of the place they were born, small gems set in the pattern of their star-sign.

this is the shop I used and the lady who made my necklace is lovely, but there are plenty of others on the site if you don't like her particular style. She was happy to customise an existing design to make it slightly different for me though, so if you do want to make some changes she is very good at working them out with you to give you what you want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now