What do you do boxing day?

(51 Posts)
BankerMommy2010 Mon 16-Sep-13 18:05:31

Boxing day is always a bit boring in my opinion....just wondering how you spend yours? Inspire me!

MirandaWest Fri 20-Sep-13 01:19:04

Drive 150 ish miles to my mum and dads house and stay there a couple of days, then onto a friend near there (where we used to live) and then over to xpils to take DC there and XH joins them there. Then I drive back up here and mark exam papers.

Amy106 Fri 20-Sep-13 01:14:01

We go to the in laws for the day which is lots more fun than it sounds! smile

SkylerRose Fri 20-Sep-13 01:01:06

I have to work..... Always so bloody busy in the cafe I work in too hmm

We have a long lie (so lucky our toddler likes her sleep!). We go to the local pub/restaurant for brunch with friends then a walk along the beach.

We have cooked ham, cheese, crackers, chutney and fruit for tea with vintage port and board games. Sometimes it is just us and sometimes friends pop in.

MERLYPUSS Thu 19-Sep-13 11:13:18

We all congregate at my dads. Have cold meat and salad and unwrap his presents. Usually play daft games that were bought for my DS (5ys)

bananananacoconuts Thu 19-Sep-13 11:12:00

Dare i be so controversial and say up at 4am for the sales! Home by 10 then off to the races with the biggest hamper of leftovers possible!

StuntGirl Thu 19-Sep-13 10:57:52

I tell you what though, as much as I hate Boxing Day I find the 27th to be worse...I dunno why, I think people are just well and truly out of Christmas spirit by then!

MadeOfStarDust Thu 19-Sep-13 10:35:35

<we need a wave emoticon> boxing day is the worst...

I've worked Christmas day in other jobs (Coastguard/restaurant/care home - eclectic!) and it has been a bit of a pain - but you get a sort of camaraderie, lets get on with it spirit going on....

Boxing day retail - everybody seems grumpy or just wanting to spend money and get served and get out..... to spend the rest of their day all cosy and nice ....

StuntGirl Thu 19-Sep-13 10:25:31

I work too stardust sad

Bosgrove Wed 18-Sep-13 21:24:53

If we are in London for Christmas (we alternate the Grandparenst for Christmas) we have a morning walk in Epping Forest with the family then back to my parents for cold turkey, chips and peas.

This year we are going to drive up the In Laws very late on Boxing Day so we can spend the 27th with them.

If we are in the Peak District for Christmas, we normally get up very early to drive back to London so DH can go to the Emirates Stadium and the children and I can spend the day with my parents.

AmberDextrous Wed 18-Sep-13 19:38:03

Go to the races! Great day out every year grin

DP goes out with his mates for a few hours in the afternoon he always has, before DS I used to join him at tea time and have the night out together now I just enjoy it, so DP goes for a few hours I watch a film and eat crap with DS then DP comes home and plays with DS while I get a nice bath, we get DS to bed and have a curry. It's perfect for us

Lots of family for Christmas part 2, then getting the ferry to France for a week's holiday grin

MadeOfStarDust Wed 18-Sep-13 12:05:36

go to work..... sad

do no other MNetters actually work in retail?

starwish Tue 17-Sep-13 20:52:17

Sales in the morning then usually roll up at the in laws after lunch/ early afternoon and stay until late evening, sil and family arrive late afternoon early evening. mil and fil put on buffet style food and then we play games.

BeaLola Tue 17-Sep-13 20:43:59

Pretty much like Christmas Day only without the presents. Parents and inlaw stayover And leave late boxing day.
DH does lovely Buffet lunch and we have lots of fizz and watch a festive film.

OctoberMoon Tue 17-Sep-13 19:55:03

Posted too soon!

My cinnamon yankee candle lit. It was fabulous. We'll be doing the same this year.

OctoberMoon Tue 17-Sep-13 19:54:13

I have some close family come to mine on boxing day, i serve mulled wine, bucks fizz, turkey/stuffing/cranberry/mayo sandwiches, a few m&s picky bits and a big dessert. Everyone came in their pj's last year, we watched vicar of dibley with the fire roaring & my c

Awks Tue 17-Sep-13 19:45:42

Boxing Day here is Ladies Day (coastal fishing tradition) so it is akin to Geordie Shore for the over thirties crossed with Police, Camera Action. It feels like the whole of the female population is pissed and out in the streets, kissing policemen who look terrified

MrsBennetsEldest Tue 17-Sep-13 17:38:31

We do nothing more than relax. We try to remain horizontal for most of the day. I love it, cold cuts, fridge full of food, lots of wine. Perfect.

Longdistance Tue 17-Sep-13 17:37:55

Fried eggs and chips. Been our family tradition for years. Get fed up with roast dinner, and we never make mountains to last til New Year.

flatmum Tue 17-Sep-13 17:34:41

doing as little as possible

BlackMogul Tue 17-Sep-13 17:32:19

When I have done so much work for Christmas Day it is my absolute treat to go out! My Spring treat is Cheltenham!!!!!!

curiousgeorgie Tue 17-Sep-13 17:25:53

BlackMogul - we love horse racing too, Boxing Day racing is my favourite all year! grin

spottymoo Tue 17-Sep-13 17:12:50

Doing as little as possible
We get dss at 3.30 Christmas Day and then go on to ils for Christmas dinner drive 40 miles home before midnight if we're lucky.

So Boxing Day is our day of doing nothing the kids gets to chill with their presents we eat what we want when we want. Love it and wouldn't change it for the world grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now