Homemade Christmas presents.....yes or no?

(66 Posts)
DoItTooJulia Sun 01-Sep-13 19:33:07

Was only thinking for family, not friends or children.

And was thinking lemonade and a Christmas goodie to eat or soap.

Naff or not?

2kidsintow Sun 01-Sep-13 23:05:07

Home made foodstuffs. No thanks. I'm ridiculously fussy about eating things that have been made by other people.

Home made smellies/crafts etc. Lovely.

LegoCaltrops Mon 02-Sep-13 06:14:20

I do sell my knitting. but not the rest of it. can't be bothered as I'd need a food hygiene certification, - no way with a job as well and a toddler.

Mojavewonderer Mon 02-Sep-13 09:09:35

I love homemade stuff! I especially loved the homemade stuff my friend did for me because I am shabby chic mad and she makes gorgeous cake stands out of old plates with chrome fittings and beautiful bunting that will have pride and place in my new country house styled kitchen. My mum loves receiving homemade jams and chutneys. I think there are some amazing things you can make that aren't tacky! I have made my mum a cross stitch picture of dolphins and framed it before which she loves. I am about to start making my own shabby chic cushions and will be wrapping some up for my mum for Christmas. So yes I think if you can make soap that looks and smells amazing then why not wrap up for presents. The stuff in my local garden centre is home made and they make loads of money from it.

yellowballoons Mon 02-Sep-13 09:17:26

Wrap and present it well.
then at least people will like the wrapping, even if they dont appreciate the actual gift

DoItTooJulia Mon 02-Sep-13 09:22:26

Ah, thanks all. It seems it's not naff!

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 02-Sep-13 09:47:05

Food, drink and soap would be a no for me but anything crafty or jewelry etc would be most welcome.

misskatamari Mon 02-Sep-13 10:11:11

I personally love handmade things but I'm a craftaholic. If you thought people might be a bit worried about home made edible things (as some posters seem to be) you could do something like this perhaps...

sundae

Although I would probably go with the
homemade - you know your family best and how they would respond.

Ooooh I have also seen lovely looking homemade vanilla extract - loads of tutorials online and is apparently yummy smile

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 02-Sep-13 10:14:33

The Sundae idea is great. Children would love that.

misskatamari Mon 02-Sep-13 10:37:53

I know, I so want to do it property grin

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 02-Sep-13 15:51:04

Hullo all, some great ideas here - we're just going to move it to the Christmas topic so it can inspire others.

Therealamandaclarke Mon 02-Sep-13 18:49:34

In Nigella's Christmas book she has some fab (IMO) recipes for edible Christmas gifts. Combined with a batch of cinder toffee or some homemade cheese biscuits - superb.

Therealamandaclarke Mon 02-Sep-13 18:50:34

And that sundae thing looks gorgeous.

Zeeky Thu 05-Sep-13 17:53:35

A word of warning though - I've found from previous years' experience, it's best not to put too much fresh stuff/perishable food in a hamper, as there is often so much food around at Christmas anyway, that your lovingly made gift can get forgotten (as happened 2 years ago, when PIL "forgot" about the hamper full of truffles, mince pies, fudge, lemon curd etc, despite having been given it a week before Christmas, thus giving them ample time to eat the fresh bits before the rush of Christmas. They "found" it after New Year and gasps to bin half of it. Needless to say, they didn't get one last year!)

I would agree with that, the rush of Christmas starts about a week before here and goes on for a few days after, we have a very fully stocked up and menu planned house in that period to save too many shopping trips and extra perishable stuff really isn't going to get much of a look in. Something you can save like chutney or jam is much better. We found cream truffles buried in a hamper a couple of years ago when we got back from being away for New Year, felt bad about it.

Zeeky Thu 05-Sep-13 18:12:56

Yes, chutney, jam, flavoured spirits etc seem to work better in my family as they are enjoyed when all the Christmas glut of chocs, nuts, cake etc is gone.

Saying that, I love getting the annual hamper from my sister with bags of fudge and coconut ice in, and eat that in favour of the tins of quality street and roses that are knocking around. I guess it depends on your recipients!

dementedma Fri 06-Sep-13 21:30:34

Home made from the kids is lovely, otherwise I'm not that keen tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now