What's your gameplan this Christmas?

(33 Posts)
AndHarry Mon 26-Aug-13 22:37:16

If there is such a thing as a Christmas gameplan grin

Mine is to see as many people we like as want to see us over December, to push forward a big family meal out early in the month with a Secret Santa to round up the huge and random extended family while keeping costs down, make the focus having fun with the DC and to have the 25th to ourselves for the first time ever.

racingheart Tue 03-Sep-13 22:49:20

Our DC are a bit older now, so not sure what to do. Will definitely sort it all out by 23rd so we can enjoy Christmas Eve as well as Christmas Day. Last year we had lunch at Roleys then went to the ice sculptures and circus in Hyde Park. Maybe find a matinee of a good musical or panto.

My parents are staying over for a couple of nights. I love having family at Christmas, so that will be good. FiL usually comes the weekend before, so we have a mini-Christmas dinner with him too.

Am also volunteering at Crisis who need people between 27-31st, so will do a couple of days there once my parents have gone back home.

Littlefiendsusan Tue 03-Sep-13 22:28:31

jam I like the idea of your Christmas Eve hampers-what do you have in them?

fuzzpig Tue 03-Sep-13 12:28:43

We will have visitors for the first time in a few years - my parents. As long as they actually participate it'll be fine...

buzzgirly Sat 31-Aug-13 08:28:17

All your Christmases sound lovely, I am very jealous of all the Xmas eve parties you're going to have.

Our elf will arrive on 1st December with advent calendars, new Xmas book, DVD, fleecy blankets and hot chocolate. The elf will get up to all sorts if I remember to do it My lovely MIL is making us a advent calendar which I intend to put in a treat or a note with an Xmas activity. It will things we would do anyway like making cards, decorating tree, panto etc.

And then on Christmas Eve I plan to take dcs out for walk to deliver presents and on return there will be a hamper with new pjs, bubble bath, face cloths and toothbrushes - this is my favourite part of Christmas!

Still not decided on the big day itself either staying here or going to ILs, they are only over the road so it can be decided literally day before!

Blimely you lot are organised! We had Christmas just me, DP and Dc last year for the first time due to chickenpox and quite enjoyed it. We do alternate years and it is DPs family's turn this year. We have invited his parents to ours. Not sure if we've had an answer yet. They did Christmas for 10 adults and 3 dc 2 years ago and said NEVER AGAIN .
I'm also looking for a new job at the moment and want to agree up front that I'll be off between Christmas and New Year. I also have a December birthday and promised myself last year to take the day off this year as I had an awful day last year.

Murtette Fri 30-Aug-13 20:40:37

Well I've had plenty of time to plan ours as MIL called on 17th Jan to check it was their turn to see us this Xmas & to ask if we were going to go to theirs or if they were coming to us as it affected which holiday they booked. We decided they'd come here. So they on Xmas Eve morning & BIL will arrive later that day. They will be sent out with the DC whilst I get on with stuff & then we'll have early supper, bath for the DC and new Xmas PJs & book. The following morning will be stockings for the DC in our room, then downstairs for their big present followed by a fry up & then the rest of family presents, lunch in early afternoon & then a walk. Boxing Day afternoon is the panto and PIL and BIL leave the next morning.
My parents will come & stay the for the weekend before Xmas and hopefully DBro & his girlf will come over one day and poss an aunt & uncle too. The other day we'll probably go to Lapland Windsor.
The weekend before that, I'll go out for lunch with a bunch of girlfriends one day & we'll go to see Santa at the garden centre on the other. The weekend before that we're at Centre Parcs with friends & the one before that (first weekend of advent) we'll go to DD's former pre-school's Xmas fair on the Saturday and then the Sunday will be spent buying the tree & decorating. I'm going to take a couple of days off in the last week of Nov or the first week of Dec to do some Xmas shopping & cooking. I realised last year that they key to having umpteen guests is plenty of meals in the freezer.
I'm looking forward to it already although think there could be a real sense of anticlimax on 27th...

DTisMYdoctor Fri 30-Aug-13 20:30:19

I really want to spend Christmas Day at home for once, but no-one will come to us, and I'm not sure whether it's nicer for DS for us to visit others then he could see cousins and extended family. But I really really want to stay at home!

VoldemortsNipple Fri 30-Aug-13 19:21:43

My gameplan is;
not to get the flu last year.
Feed the family something better than the pot noodles and sausage rolls they had last year.
Drink lots
Eat more
Relax grin

I shall be on the lookout for nice things to do with teenagers over the holidays too. You lose so many little traditions when they grow older. Last year I set up a hot chocolate bar with marshmallows, fudge pieces, cream, cinnamon, those chocolate wafer tubes etc which went down well and they love the Christmas eve hamper. I'm making advent calendars for them with makeup and perfume samples for dd and I'm not sure what for ds's. I'm going to put a cinema voucher in number 24 to get them from under my feet for a few hours on Christmas Eve.

HerrenaHarridan Fri 30-Aug-13 12:30:13

I'm still working on it. Been looking for that start your own Christmas traditions thread but can't find it

So far though.

I have a pocket advent calendar which I am going to fill with wrapped toys and sweets (unwrapping practice for 2yo) and also planning to slip a Xmas activity into each pocket to do each day. Decoration making, card making, baking, panto, decks up etc also lots of Xmas films to help her figure out what's going on.

Xmas eve will be hot choc, film and popcorn followed by new pjs

Xmas morn will be open stocking in mummies bed.

Lunch will be goose.

That's as far as I've got smile

IsaacCox Fri 30-Aug-13 10:07:56

On the first Sunday in December, we'll go to my favourite garden center to buy some new decorations. Then we'll go home and put up the two trees whilst listening to christmas music, drinking either mulled wine or hot chocolate. Then we'll watch Elf.

On 7th December, we're going to watch The Nutcracker ballet in Birmingham. On 20th December, we'll go to The Trafford center to buy a few last minute presents (only a few things as we like to take in the atmosphere there rather than rush around like a headless chicken!) Then that night we're going to watch West Side Story in the theatre. The next day (we're spending 2 nights in a hotel in Manchester) we'll go around the Arndale center, the shops in the city center and my favourite, Selfridges. Then at night, we'll visit the Christmas markets and have mulled wine, crepes, hot dogs...

The 22nd is our wedding anniversary and DH is planning a surprise smile

Christmas eve we'll either go to a party at the in laws (not 100% sure if they're having one yet) or we will have a small buffet at home, just me and DH and watch Christmas DVDs/TV.

Christmas day will most likely be us opening our presents at home, then going to my mums then going on to my grans where the whole family congregates for a couple of days.

I may have a party of my own this year too. I had one last year which was great.

Then on 1st January, we're off to Cape Verde for a week smile

I'm so excited, I love the Christmas season!

AndHarry Thu 29-Aug-13 17:23:14

Ah Ragwort, that's my idea of Christmas heaven.

Monsters if someone is out to be offended then they will be offended whatever you do.

Ragwort Thu 29-Aug-13 17:13:11

Going abroad, booked and paid for grin.

ToriaPumpkin Thu 29-Aug-13 17:11:49

This year is going to be an odd one as not only will my best friend have just had her first baby but I'll be pregnant so it's the first year she and I are dropping the beginning of our celebrations (drinking copious amounts of mulled wine in the Edinburgh market)

We've also got some family politics going on as we've not done Christmas with DH's family for two years and BIL and SIL won't come to us so to spend time with them we need to go to them (which is a ball-ache as it is without a toddler and five month pg me as it's several hours and a ferry ride away)

As such, my plans are mainly to make it as special as I can for DS (will be 2.2)

So far on my list I've got an elf (he won't get it properly but it'll be fun) and a fabric advent calendar filled with toddler friendly treats, a walk round town after dark to see the lights, making a wreath, hand print cards/decorations for the relatives, toddler group Christmas party and possibly actually having the Christmas drinks party I've been threatening since we bought the house three years ago!

girlywhirly Thu 29-Aug-13 15:23:58

Oh dear Monsters, that isn't going to go down well. I can see why you don't want to do the journey and also that you want to be at home with your own family.

Tell her that the weather is likely to be severe and would she really want her DGC put at risk? Give a horror story about possibly being stuck in freezing conditions, traffic jams, baby in carseat too long, whatever you can recall from last years problems to do with travelling.

You could also ask if she had ever had to travel same distance to see her own parents at Christmas with DC and if not, why is it acceptable for you to have to with a baby and a toddler? If she never has, she has no idea how hard it can be.

However you break the bad news, do it in good time so that she can arrange the DC'S presents to get posted/delivered, in case she gets something heavy (expecting you to take it home with you when you go for Christmas!) Still can't guarantee she will be talking to you though.

MonstersDontCry Thu 29-Aug-13 09:41:53

My gameplan is trying to tell my mum that we won't be traveling the 400 miles with a 5 month old and two year old to spend Christmas with her, without her not talking to me. We want to spend Christmas alone.

Any suggestions welcome! grin she isn't one of these women you can just explain things to.

girlywhirly Thu 29-Aug-13 09:34:09

Captainswearpants, my mum used to do the same as you, all relatives in the north got their presents during our visit at half term. Saved a fortune in postage.

PaleHousewifeOfCumbriaCounty Thu 29-Aug-13 09:03:21

Decs go up 1st of december in the middle of the night when the elf moves in. Pranks from elf all december... Visit to grotto in lake district... Pantomime with nana...family tea party on xmas eve... Xmas day now spent at home with the three kids, and anyone who wants to join us for lunch is welcome. Rest of holiday is spent reading, eating, drinking, going for walks, chilling and playing smile

chanie44 Thu 29-Aug-13 08:41:50

Ds will be 3.8 at Xmas, so I'm hoping he will understand and get excited. Dd will be 1.4 so too young. I'm going to do elf on the shelf, plus various activities in December like crafts, gingerbread house etc.

Have been buying presents thorough out the year and will step it up at the end of September.

We plan on having Xmas day at home, just the four of us, which I excited about.

I'm also going to host an Xmas eve party for our siblings and their children - will be buffet food and give them some Xmas eve treats like a chocolate Santa, snowman soup and magic reindeer food.

MirandaWest Thu 29-Aug-13 07:48:39

I do love Christmas really and the best one was when DD was about three months old and all possible people came to our house on the day itself. Was lovely smile. But things do get more complicated <sigh>

MirandaWest Thu 29-Aug-13 07:46:24

I have no idea quite how Christmas will go. I will be marking exam papers from about 15th december. My family all live about 150 miles away. Not sure what XH will want to do this year (he lives nearby and so far we have spent the day together but not sure this will carry on forever). I want to spend time with my boyfriend. XH wants to spend time with his girlfriend although his lives about 200 miles away in the other direction. The DC need to see their paternal grandparents as well.

I partly wish everyone else could just work out Christmas without me but think that's a little unrealistic....

FriskyHenderson Thu 29-Aug-13 07:36:15

I wrote myself a list last Christmas. It has a list of who to buy for, to get more XYZ but less ABC. So while I am itching to buy some wrapping paper from Studio (sheep that I am wink) I know I must not

Relatives-wise, as usual we will invite MIL up to see the DC advent services and various concerts etc in the last week of term and as usual she will refuse, so we will traipse all of us up to her after Christmas and take her out for lunch. We will aim to see my parents a week or two before as they go completely overboard and are very unpleasant stressful to deal with. Then Christmas day will be spent in seclusion grin, Boxing day with friends. Christmas eve is traditionally the day we flap around, go out for lunch and do a cinema night with new PJs, chocolate hamper and Christmas DVD.

I'm not going to book a Santa grotto trip (as my list tells me) bebecause we booked the one Everyone raves about (Painshill Park) last year and it was shit. And very expensive. They enjoyed the freebie at the church bizaar 10x more and the gift was not tat much better

AndHarry Thu 29-Aug-13 07:24:53

I love how busy December gets. The lead-up to Christmas is my favourite part!

tiffany can your dh's mum and brother not join your family for Christmas? We've done similar and it was a bit strange at first but worked really well in the end. Something to think about?

FranklymydearIdontgiveadamn Tue 27-Aug-13 18:54:23

My gameplan is getting through December!
Now that all 5 dc are at school they have lots of parties/discos for the various clubs they are in, school productions and panto trips. The 2 eldest are also in choir which sing for OAPs and in shopping centre in December. On top of that dh and I both have staff do's, and usually 2 black tie events to go to. It is always manic, but I do love the buzz. Come around the 21st or so it calms down. I finish food shopping on the 22nd. Then from 23rd on we all stay put at home. Everyone comes to us thank goodness, usually a steady stream of callers on Christmas Eve. Grandparents and some other family on Christmas day, it varies from year to year. Then we have a big crowd on boxing night but its all very relaxed and no pressure.

CaptainSweatPants Tue 27-Aug-13 17:01:00

Is it very sad that I'm considering starting Xmas shopping early, visiting family at october half term & distributing presents & staying home for Xmas?

In mitigation we live 3 hours from my family & 6 hours from inlaws

I want to stay at home for once stamps feet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now