Do you wrap your presents as you buy them?

(33 Posts)
PinkPepper Mon 26-Aug-13 19:41:20

Just that really. I'd love to spend time wrapping them from now so it's all done. But my dm drilled it in me not to wrap anything till right before - I think she found some wrapped presents when my nan passed and felt odd opening them.

What does everyone else do? Is it 'unlucky' to have a cupboard of all wrapped stuff for a few months. I want to enjoy Christmas Eve not spend it tied up with tape

chanie44 Wed 28-Aug-13 12:13:00

I buy presents throughout the year, but ended up in a mad wrapping frenzy a few dad before Xmas.

This year, I want to start wrapping at the beginning of December, doing it in a couple of batches at a time.

BiddyPop Wed 28-Aug-13 15:21:38

I don't exactly wrap as soon as I buy, but I would tend to get wrapping in late November in a couple of nights sessions in the kitchen. I need to have a fair amount ready to give to people when we see them (often we are not travelling for Christmas so need to leave things with DParents etc on visits in late Nov or early Dec - this year, we are travelling so will need to leave things with more distant relatives the week before Christmas which is always manic). I like to get bags together under the study desk grouping the different families in different bags so they are easy to grab.

That said, I often have last minute things to wrap the morning of school breakup, as we leave for trips to relatives, or on Christmas Eve (and once, Christmas morning) for under the tree. But as long as it's only a few, I don't mind that.

And I like to be precise in my wrapping, and use lots of bows, and often make my own tags too - so the more time I can dedicate to it, in advance of the Christmas mayhem, the better.

wanderings Wed 28-Aug-13 16:41:11

My DP and I buy our presents throughout the year; we get lots of them for each other. We hide them from each other (we each know where not to look), and then we have a marathon wrapping session in early December. While this takes place, we chat and tease each other about what our presents might be. (Whoever is not wrapping is blindfolded. wink)

50shadesofknackered Wed 28-Aug-13 20:56:31

I always have a couple of wrapping nights mid December. The tree must be up, I like to do it on my own, put Christmas films on, have a glass or four of wine and wrap all the presents. These nights are part of my Christmas traditions. Plus, if I wrapped them too early i'd forget what I'd bought.

toffeelolly Thu 29-Aug-13 22:44:49

Wrap all mine when the tree goes up ,normally the start of DEC.

galletti Thu 29-Aug-13 22:55:18

I'm with some others here. Mid December, when I have amassed most of the presents. Dh and DD are sent to out to cinema or something similar - usually on a Sunday afternoon and I surround myself with wrapping paper, ribbons etc, glass of wine cup of tea and watch a good film or crap tv I have saved up while I wrap. It's just another tradition in this house. Might be a bit different this year, as wrapping with a six month old puppy could be interesting!

I used to wrap when the DCs were in bed, but don't dare any more in case one of them comes back down again (bathroom is downstairs). School afternoons it has to be now.

I use the ironing board as a table (height is better), ScotchTape gift tape on one of those dispensers with a cutter (no losing the end) and a good quality pair of scissors and good paper (Costco - huge roll)

December evening. Get everything piled up on the dining room table and the Father Ted Christmas Special on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now