To have started my Christmas shopping..

(81 Posts)
insummeritrains Mon 26-Aug-13 12:10:04

Am prepared for a flaming grin

Every year I leave my Christmas shopping till the start of December. Inevitably I end up stressed and running around in a packed shopping centre and buying stuff without a lot of thought.

This year, I've decided to be a bit more organised and started picking up a few bits and pieces and can't believe the good stuff I'm picking up in the sales. Will end up saving an absolute fortune!! Got me thinking that this is the way forward..no stress and cheaper, more thoughtful presents. What's not to like?!

monkeymamma Mon 26-Aug-13 16:55:10

I did this for the first time last year - saw something I liked for a close friend in Sept, them there didn't seem any reason not to keep going till I was finished. It spread the cost and meant I managed to find very thoughtful, appreciated gifts that were all within budget. Usually I panic buy in Dcember, throw way too much money at it all and then get intimidated by the 'perfect gift guides' that magazines love so much. You know, £150 for some grouse flavoured oatcakes in a rattan box is an ideal stocking filler for your husband type of thing. Urgh I hate those things - when will they start compiling them with the kind of budgets that real people have in mind?!!

HickeryDickery Mon 26-Aug-13 17:17:33

I'm starting next week. We want to get DD1 Birthday out of the way then we start for Christmas. We like to be finished by December so we can avoid the Town Centre.

BuskersCat Mon 26-Aug-13 17:32:25

#i bought my first Christmas present in the January sales!!

We have a lovely little pile now, just little ones now that we will pick up as and when. There are only 3 pay days left to go

chanie44 Mon 26-Aug-13 17:37:14

I've been doing this for a few years now and I totally recommend it as it spreads the cost out, makes December less stressful (more money for the party season) and I can pick up some bargains in the sales.

Word of warning - most shops won't let you return something you've bought 6 months ago, so make sure you know it's a present they will like.

cardibach Mon 26-Aug-13 17:41:39

I don't get the 'spreading the cost' argument for buying early - isn't that what saving is for?

chanie44 Mon 26-Aug-13 18:21:05

It's two halves of the same coin. I prefer to 'spread the cost' as it means I can get some bargains eg I once bought some pjs in the sale which were £10 from £20. If I saved the money, I wouldn't have been able to get them at that price in December.

The disadvantage of course is that you can't return the present if the recipient doesn't like it

londone17 Mon 26-Aug-13 18:59:46

I've almost finished mine including food and cards.

SarahAndFuck Mon 26-Aug-13 19:09:23

I started mine about three weeks ago OP.

We do a combination of saving and buying early. We put money away so we can by things closer to Christmas but if I see the perfect thing for the perfect person a few months early I will buy it and put it away.

I tend to buy cards in the January sales and put them away in the present cupboard.

SlobAtHome Mon 26-Aug-13 19:14:20

Glad to see so many Christmas folk around. I love it! :D

bronya Mon 26-Aug-13 19:27:41

I'm doing this, as my salary will decrease from October, and we can pick up things that are on offer now. Have already got DS's presents, am on the hunt for DF's (v specific but difficult to find!), will get gift cards for relatives' children so just need to put money by for those.

Yonionekanobe Mon 26-Aug-13 19:30:14

I'm expecting DD2 on 30 December so have most of DD1's presents, just in case...

MamaBear17 Mon 26-Aug-13 19:43:03

YANBU. I am starting mine next week (after pay day!!) I have been writing lists and working out budgets for the next four pay days so that I can make Christmas lovely for my family without overspending or getting into debt. I absolutely love Christmas and everything that goes with it. We are taking our dd to see Santa for the first time this year as she will be almost 2 and a half so will hopefully be old enough to enjoy the experience. Christmas rules!

DontmindifIdo Mon 26-Aug-13 19:45:57

Not starting this early, I will not do Christmas until I've put away the summer clothes and started wearing winter boots. However, I do insist on all Internet purchases being done by mid November since the disaster that is known as "the year Amazon ruined Christmas" (about 8 years ago now, the year that everyone realised amazon existed and they couldn't cope with the massive demand, I think it snowed as well, so we only had half the gifts until mid jan).

I do get the "spreading the cost" thing, I'm on mat leave now and I put aside a little from my last two preSMP pay days to cover the costs, hate going into January with a big credit card bill.

DontmindifIdo Mon 26-Aug-13 19:49:39

Oh and as well I have my dads birthday in October, DHs in November, and DSs in December, so often I generally buy them things and give some for birthday and others hold back for Christmas.

ipswichwitch Mon 26-Aug-13 19:51:06

I have started buying for DS and will aim to be done by beginning November. I'm pregnant and due 14th December and there's no way I'm schlepping around the shops with a bored toddler and newborn.

<stealsjakesmommys themed gift basket idea>

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Aug-13 19:56:15

Evening
We will shortly be moving this to our Xmas topic

ipswichwitch Mon 26-Aug-13 19:58:24

However, I won't be buying chocolate til the last possible second, since I can never hide it from myself and end up eating it all, several times over

raisah Mon 26-Aug-13 21:12:26

I remember last year people complaining about the celebrations tin shortage last year. So I thought I'd let you all know that Tescos have got tins of Celebrations, Heroes & Roses for £5 now.

ShakeAndVac Mon 26-Aug-13 21:23:03

I'm usually one of those who leaves it until the last minute to do Christmas shopping, but I have actually started to get a few stocking fillers for the kids.
Mainly because they take so long to fill up and find decent things to go in (as well as all the bits and pieces adding up cost wise!) that I've started to get a few things now as I see them so that there's not as much to get nearer the time.
Not made a start on the main things though!

LimitedEditionLady Mon 26-Aug-13 23:22:23

I feel im spreading the cost as i find things that i know the kids like on offer throughout the year.I have a lot of children i buy gifts for and it can be a bit stressful trying to buy ten kids at different ages a gift in december plus i dont wana just get a generic xmas promo gift for them i want them to know i thought about them.Also i like buying presents,i get more joy buying for than recieving.

SecretLimonadeDrinker Mon 26-Aug-13 23:51:36

YADNBU

I love Christmas and have whispers just finished my Christmas spreadsheet.

Couchpotato I am in awe of your Christmas planning. This year will be our first year hosting both families for Christmas, the lists keep me sane

Dawndonnaagain Tue 27-Aug-13 00:33:30

I have just hHad my m&s points through, so Christmas chops and biccies will be purchased tomorrow.

Isetan Tue 27-Aug-13 06:28:26

Way ahead of ya. I make a budget (this is imperative otherwise you can easily overspend).

Christmas decorations and cards bought in January when they are practically giving them away. Presents for people are purchased when what I want is at least 50% off.

I make a picture of the inevitable food waste from the previous year and stick it to the budget and food list for this year (rarely tempted to overspend now).

I store DD's presents (Christmas, advent/stocking and birthday) in a crawl space that is a known spider hang out, DD hates spiders. This onsite present store has come in handy when I've had to get presents at short notice for forgotten birthdays.

I have never understand people bankrupting themselves over Christmas.

Bullygirl Tue 27-Aug-13 06:49:12

Gully I missed the brilliance of the Christmas lay buy so much when we lived in England. Dd's and dn's Christmas is sorted. I've been putting stuff away for the few family and friends I but for for the past couple of months and will start buying alcohol next month (alcohol is MUCH more expensive in Australia than it is in the U.K. MUCH!). That leaves me with money in December for cherries and prawns. grin

IsaacCox Tue 27-Aug-13 07:06:45

Yanbu. I started in January. I have a cupboard that is slowly filling smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now