To have started my Christmas shopping..

(81 Posts)
insummeritrains Mon 26-Aug-13 12:10:04

Am prepared for a flaming grin

Every year I leave my Christmas shopping till the start of December. Inevitably I end up stressed and running around in a packed shopping centre and buying stuff without a lot of thought.

This year, I've decided to be a bit more organised and started picking up a few bits and pieces and can't believe the good stuff I'm picking up in the sales. Will end up saving an absolute fortune!! Got me thinking that this is the way forward..no stress and cheaper, more thoughtful presents. What's not to like?!

Mintyy Mon 26-Aug-13 14:29:13

There is a Christmas Topic for nutters like you!

LeGavrOrf Mon 26-Aug-13 14:30:35

IT IS AUGUST BANK HOLIDAY FUCKING MONDAY!

I've already started. Can't get too far ahead though as we have nowhere to store stuff (house renovations) and DHs side of our family do a secret santa for the adults, so I don't know who I'm buying for yet. I think I'm going to have to make a spreadsheet to keep track of what bits I've bought and where I've stashed them. Last year I was still finding stocking fillers I'd forgotten about, in March. blush

YANBU. Especially if you or your partner is pregnant!

2 years ago I did not get a Christmas present because DH planned to use the last paycheck (and weekend) before Christmas to buy it. We knew DS was due the 27th so I sorted everyone else's gifts out by October.

I went into labour on the Friday, and didn't give birth until after shops shut on Christmas eve...

The trouble is what if people (mainly children) change their minds?
Or what if someone then buys themself the gift you have bought for them between now and christmas?

I am tempted to get ds's now as it is quite cheap on amazon and I have to say generally once he's decided he wants something he doesn't change his mind. But what if he does?

I always say that I'm going to get it out of the way early and end up with a last minute panic, not this year though, my due date is 27th November and the last thing I want to be worrying about with a newborn is Christmas shopping! grin

YANBU. At this moment, I have stockings prepared and compete, bar for chocolate, and wrapped presents for everyone bar two people, with nearly all cards written, and with presents placed in gift boxes if necessary. Also have written down exactly what's needed for Christmas dinner and bought some extra decorations. blush

Silverfoxballs Mon 26-Aug-13 14:45:21

I have bought almost all the gifts already, I buy most in January sales every year, crackers, wrapping paper everything.

Loving the raging on this thread.

insummeritrains Mon 26-Aug-13 14:46:08

Bah humbug, mintyy!

where is the Christmas topic please?

Yanbu and i'm jealous envy as i'm skint until next week!
Can't wait to start getting organised for Christmassmile

insummeritrains Mon 26-Aug-13 14:49:45

See, I class the beginning of Christmas as December 1st..since we are almost in September I make it about 3 months to Christmas..that's 12 weeks, that's....well I can't be bothered to work out the days. Point is, it's not that long!

Does anyone know when the festive radio times comes out? wink

Beastofburden Mon 26-Aug-13 14:50:11

HOw did Xmas become such a huge task that we need months to prepare for it?

I do mine in december largely by being less ambitious than you guys, I think. One nice present each for key people, a lot of kids-only deals among the extended family. My mum makes the Xmas cake and some chutney as her present to all of us (she's on a pension), so she does start before December, but I don't think anyone else does.

Not criticising, you understand, just offering an alternative way to do Xmas, where you don't feel you have to do quite so much, and its just one day, with a nice family meal, a few treats all round, and a chance to travel around and see extended family for the rest of the holiday.

SweetLathyrus Mon 26-Aug-13 15:10:21

Started mine last month too, because DH saw something in a shop he wouldn't buy for himself and I will have forgotten about by Nov/Dec, but he will love when he sees 'it'

Mintyy Mon 26-Aug-13 15:13:30

I find this thread genuinely sad tbh.

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 26-Aug-13 15:22:21

Haha re Radio Times, not for a while yet. Did look if M&S had put the christmas food online last night as the shop was empty last year so might pre order. Their deserts are lovely.

Have made my list and will start looking online for those I have not yet bought so that there is no rush and i have time to find the perfect gifts.

I know MN usually only advocates an orange in the stocking and one tree gift otherwise children are spoilt but i just close my ears and shop grin

We start early because it is much cheaper - for eg second hand kids toys on eBay will go for much less in the summer than in October/November.

Our kids are young enough that they aren't set on having one thing for Christmas, there are lots of things they would like. get a couple at a good price, put them away and job is done. Any special requests get suggested to grandparents etc (who spend way more than we do)

Other relatives get handmade so they require thinking about in advance too

My excuse fr being organised is that I'm having a baby around December 1st, but track record means it's probably going to be at least a month early, so I want to be ready by November at the latest for Christmas as by then I will have a baby and two toddler and in the meantime I'm having to spend time with my family for a month due to my brother- in another country where I won't be able to get Internet access and I have limited space for gifts in a suitcase. So I have to finish by the end of September to be comfortable that we will have presents, cards etc; for Christmas.

How is it sad to start Xmas shopping now? Some people have to spread it out over a few paychecks, meaning a few months if they get paid monthly.

insummeritrains Mon 26-Aug-13 15:35:18

Ok, mintyy reckon you've made your point.

AnneUulmelmahay Mon 26-Aug-13 15:50:00

We asked for a specific Christmas topic, to then be hid, as Christmas can be sad, or triggering for some. I know y'all having a laff etc but do have a wee think, please.

TheOnlyPink Mon 26-Aug-13 16:02:58

Ya most definitely nbu. I have started with a few bits and pieces this month.

manalive makes a good point, people who are paid monthly only have 3 or 4 more pay checks until Christmas. I am one of those people and have my wedding anniversary, ds2 birthday and nearly all the yearly bills like car insurance in the same time. So a little every month means its not a huge burden.

insummeritrains Mon 26-Aug-13 16:03:39

Are you serious? Then couldn't everything be triggering to someone out there? Cars? Ghosts and spooky stuff? Illnesses?

Jeez, it was meant to be lighthearted.

insummeritrains Mon 26-Aug-13 16:04:17

Sorry, that was to Anne

twistedtoffee Mon 26-Aug-13 16:09:32

YANBU to spread the cost and hassle over a few months.

What is unreasonable is shops putting out big displays of Christmas cards and decorations in September; discussions about the office party starting up in early October; Santa arriving at shopping centres all over the place in early November; and people putting up their Christmas tree the last week in November. By the time Christmas actually arrives the whole excitement and novelty has worn off. Could we keep all the displays, discussions and decorations until 1st December? Pleeeeeeese!

CatAmongThePigeons Mon 26-Aug-13 16:12:01

I started at the end of July grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now