Where would you go in the UK for a fabulous Christmas experience?

(52 Posts)
Venay Thu 22-Aug-13 22:16:32

Sorry - I know it is horrible to ask in August! My sister is visiting in December for 3 weeks, and I would like to take her to a traditional British Christmas event. I have tried googling, and it keeps suggesting things like we should visit Santa in Lapland or go to Germany for the Christmas markets, however we have 3 under 5s between us, and I don't think we want to leave the UK.

So, is there anywhere good in the UK that we could visit? My sister is especially interested in history, and would probably enjoy a Stately home - her children won't have seen reindeer or snow or Santa...

Does anyone have any advice?

OldRoan Tue 27-Aug-13 17:24:11

The Somerset House ice rink has a smaller children's one at the back (like the baby pool if you go swimming) with penguins they can push around for support.

I feel very strongly that Christmas needs some sort of show, so maybe a panto but The Snowman is meant to be wonderful (and I see was mentioned upthread).

Stately homes often have Christmas events on - I know some do a traditional X period Christmas (for whatever era the house was built) with Father Christmas on certain days. Hampton Court carol singing - I think the historic palaces will update their Christmas things soon (doesn't Hampton Court have an ice rink?)

BaconAndAvocado Wed 28-Aug-13 21:19:11

We are hopefully doing Lapland UK for the first (and probably the last, eek tres pricey!) time this Christmas.

It's at Windsor this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now