Where do you find unique, unusual and/or interesting Christmas decorations?

(48 Posts)
DSJamesHathaway Fri 16-Aug-13 20:51:30

I'd like to get some new decorations this year but I don't want to go down the route of a few packs of bog-standard baubles and some tinsel. Where can I find interesting and original decorations? Ideally I'd like one or two of each one so the tree is really interesting when you look at it and you can spend a while as there are lots of different things on it to see (if that makes sense).

goldenlilliesdaffodillies Thu 13-Nov-14 19:07:24

HomeSense have great decorations and local garden centres (BlackBrookes) are good.

cr78 Thu 13-Nov-14 18:53:31

These Driftwood Christmas Trees on Canvas are lovely and really unusual!
driftwoodchristmas.weebly.com/

They're made with cornish driftwood and lit by lovely fairy lights. A real talking point!

And I found them here much cheaper than not on the high street

rgds
s

ScrabbledLeggsAndToes Sun 09-Nov-14 23:01:49

Those Newbridge silver ones are beautiful.

fragolino Wed 08-Oct-14 22:24:20

what a brilliant website - WOODEN BLANKS...fabulous!

TK MAX, HOMESENSE,

Unique - different un usual, and cheap!

Longdistance Wed 08-Oct-14 22:20:52

Can I recommend BHS. I've bought many nice decorations from them over the years. I may need to pay a visit, as my decorations are becoming quite scant over the years with dds accidentally breaking them.

poolomoomon Wed 08-Oct-14 22:11:05

eBay, Etsy and tk maxx. Almost all of mine are from those three, some are ikea too. My trees a massive higgeldy piggeldy mash up of different quirky ones, you find all sorts of weird and wonderful ones on there.

Londondecs Wed 08-Oct-14 16:14:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DSJamesHathaway Wed 28-Aug-13 21:15:14

Thank you everyone for soe great ideas. I found some nice wooden cut out ones today whilst on holiday so following girlywhirly's advice I bought 3.

I am also planning on buying some plain wooden shapes and decorating them thanks to shimmeringinthesun

BiddyPop Tue 27-Aug-13 10:29:33

Thank you Blue from me too - I have a new thing to put on the tree this year!! (I did science, DH is an engineer, and DD likes both (v logical aspergers kid) and we ALL love TBBT!!). grin

fuzzpig Mon 26-Aug-13 22:20:52

Wow thanks blue! grin

littleoaktree Mon 26-Aug-13 22:14:25

Make them yourself grin - seriously though there are some lovely ideas on Pinterest, I made quite a few last year.

Sass and Belle had some lovely ones last year, doesn't look like they have any on their website for this year yet but definitely one to watch.

GemmaTeller Mon 26-Aug-13 21:57:13

Pinterest

WafflyVersatile Mon 26-Aug-13 21:56:20
WafflyVersatile Mon 26-Aug-13 21:56:11

Not really what you're looking for but someone might be.

Krampus tree ornaments. for scaring the children.

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/krampus+ornaments

Oldraver Mon 26-Aug-13 21:36:33

Oooh I've bookmarked the Newbridge ones.

The Christmas Shop website isnt showing as many things as previous years..I think it may of been sold recently and the site in different but thay have masses of stuff in store.

I have the first 6 of these Crown Derby ones. They look much nicer in real life.

DoItTooJulia Mon 26-Aug-13 20:28:54

Macy's do some gorgeous ones.

Great if you know someone going to NYC, but you can order online!

Blueboys2009 Mon 26-Aug-13 19:47:23

Fuzzpig - not a tree ornament, but here's a small Isaac Newton bust that you could probably wedge between a couple of branches and hope nobody touches the tree balance ever so carefully on the tree. Alternativey these are actual tree ornaments (gues who's got a geek for a husband!?))

WafflyVersatile Mon 26-Aug-13 19:33:48

Vatta, I think the swaddling babe hanging from the tree is my favourite.

newpup Mon 26-Aug-13 19:29:08

I have a huge tree and love it covered in different individual ornaments. I have hundreds of different ones and have been collecting them for 17 years. My favourites are ones that have come form America, they are lovely and I always buy one whenever we go.

Museum shops like the V&A have lovely ones, garden centres and craft fairs are great.

Those newbridge ones look lovely chloe2.

Chl0e2 Mon 26-Aug-13 19:09:07

I love the newbridge silver ones. I buy one or two each year and have done for about 7 years so the tree looks amazing now. they are gorgeous. not sure if I can link at this time of year.

oh yes, here's the link

Vatta Mon 26-Aug-13 19:03:44

Omg waffly those were disturbing!

Have saved the page to freak DH out nearer the time smile

fuzzpig Mon 26-Aug-13 18:43:38

What I really really yearn for on my tree is a golden bust of Sir Isaac Newton, like Sheldon hangs on his tree on Big Bang Theory. Never been able to find one though!

lade Mon 26-Aug-13 18:23:22

Another vote for the Christmas Shop (link above). They have some lovely stuff in there.

I also like John Lewis Christmas Decorations too.

WafflyVersatile Mon 26-Aug-13 11:43:32
BiddyPop Mon 26-Aug-13 11:35:03

OOh yes, I just saw someone mentioned an art gallery - Art Galleries and Museums often have some quite interesting decorations in their gift shops. And because lots of people avoid those shops, they are not that commonly seen!!

And I have seen trees where the cookie cutters have been hung (either kept as decorations only or cleaned and hung after use), which can be lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now