Cake, Mincemeat and Pudding

(8 Posts)
Scout19075 Wed 14-Aug-13 20:51:31

How long do you normally soak the fruit for your Christmas cake? I tend to go 36-48 hours but was wondering if longer/shorter is better?

And has anyone tried soaking the fruit for your mincemeat and/or Christmas pudding? If so, how was it?

I don't make a Christmas Pudding (because no-one eats it)
I do a fruit cake and cut into 2 (but only marzipan/ice half of it)

I use Amarretto to soak , usually 2 days soaking then lots of Amarretto dripped into skewered holes.

Cake and Wendsleydale cheese smile

I've only made mincemeat once (can't remember it so I don't think it was worth the effort)

I have a jar in the pantry of Sainsburys Mincemeat bought for 10p in January. I can put apple and grated rind in it .

IIRC Delia soaks the fruit for her Creole cake for a week in rum. (I'll have a look for the recipe)

Yes seven days soaking and she heats the soaking liquid first.

Scout19075 Wed 14-Aug-13 22:59:46

A week?! shock I think it was Delia's Christmas cake recipe I've used in the past and it said 3 tbsp. of brandy for 2 lbs. of fruit for 24 hours. I've been doing 6 tbsp. for 48 hours but it just doesn't feel enough (alcohol and soak time).

I don't eat Christmas cake, Christmas pudding or mince pies but I enjoy making them all and my in-laws gobble it all up.

I'm itching to get started -- usually make it all in September/October -- but more-or-less won't be home until September now so have to wait. sad

TeamEdward Wed 14-Aug-13 23:43:16

I triple Delia's quantity of alcohol and steep for at least a week! I cook them in batches though, so have a massive bowl of steeping fruits on the go throughout Oct/Nov. Last year I made 12 Christmas cakes!

Scout19075 Thu 15-Aug-13 11:25:10

Twelve cakes. shock. That's a lot of fruit and orange rind cake. How do you decorate all those cakes?

I think I'll try tripling the brandy and soaking for a week. I'm going to soak the fruit in my homemade cherry brandy this year as an experiment. Do you think I could use those cherries instead of glace cherries?

BiddyPop Thu 15-Aug-13 12:17:24

I made mince meat 3 years ago and 2 years ago. The jar that was 2 years old that i opened last year was divine (I still have 1 left of that batch) - so the longer the steeping, the better in that case!! (Although, they were all fine to use within 3 weeks of making, but the longer the sitting, the better the flavour).

To my shame (only married 13 years!!blush) I have never yet made a cake or pudding, as DM makes a pudding for us (almost) every year, and DMIL makes a cake for us, again (almost) every year. I am sure someday I will do one of those, and I know DM only soaks overnight but leaves to mature once cooked for 3 months (both her puddings and her cake), while I don't know much about MIL's methods....

BiddyPop Thu 15-Aug-13 12:20:41

I wouldn't swop cherries from cherry brandy totally for glace cherries - different textures and flavours (and sweetnesses). But you could do a mix of the 2, which would be quite nice I should think (I did cherries in honey rum a few years ago, and used them as the middle of hm chocolates for 2 years running -delish!!).

And I use a mincemeat recipe that calls for gran marnier rather than brandy, which gives a nice orange flavour. I know DM uses brandy for puddings and whiskey for cakes fruit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now