Not too ££ "one-size-fits-all" possibly consumable present for copious nieces and nephews?

(14 Posts)
OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 13-Aug-13 10:12:31

As per this thread I am trying to get organised much MUCH earlier than usual.

I would normally ask siblings what their DC want but it feels far too early to talk about Xmas in RL grin

So I thought I would present them with a fait accompli!

I have TEN nieces and nephews and 3 godchildren (!) and wanted to get a nice but not too expensive something.

They all have lots of toys so it's really just "the thought".

Age range 1-14 (!)
Any thoughts gratefully received
tia

iloveholidays Tue 13-Aug-13 10:20:59

I know the feeling, we have 10 nieces and nephews with one more expected any day now...

How about...
A book... Where wally books were keep on amazon last time I looked.
Art and craft or colouring stuff
voucher for the older ones
Character socks/pjs... Could try character.com

Personally I'd probably just go into a big supermarket and pick out a toy suitable for their age and gender smile

I would get them all dressing gowns and slippers smile
Too boring?
Either that or Claire's accessories/iTunes/amazon gift cards? With a lindt chocolate reindeer.

MooseyMoo Tue 13-Aug-13 10:37:53

10! <feels faint>

Any of them into bugs/insects? Could get them a magnifying glass

For the teens, how about a movie night theme, with popcorn holder, popcorn and a DVD

ilove beat me to mentioning character.com for pjs. Lots of positive comments from people on bargain thread

There's a lovely bookset called Winter Wonderland by the book people. Could you split it up between the younger ones?

FrantasticO Tue 13-Aug-13 10:42:31

B&m had christmas reindeer tins with the choc wafer tubes, reduced to 50p.
That and a pair of character pjs linked in Xmas thread and job would be done for younger ones?

Good luck and hope your keeping well, your wise getting it all done before the baby invasion grin

CMOTDibbler Tue 13-Aug-13 10:43:37

Frankly, my nieces and nephews are very happy getting a selection box each - we spent years trying to buy interesting presents, but this is actually the most successful thing. As they've got older (22 to 16 now), they also get an iTunes or Amazon voucher, younger they got a book or pjs.

As you are going to be increasing the number of children in your generation to 12 soon, it might be time to suggest a secret santa arrangement so each child gets a nicer present from one auntie/uncle rather than everyone panicking! A friend who has 25 nephews and nieces says this works really well in his family - they pick an adult and a child each to buy for.

professorpoopsnagle Tue 13-Aug-13 10:45:54

Marking place- we have 20 nieces/nephews to buy for! It's not just about the money, it ends up trying to get them something which they haven't got.

I once got personalised wooden name jigsaws- the NCT online shop was the cheapest, about £8 I think.

Could you get a 'family' present of some sort- voucher to soft play centre or zoo, a dvd? I also once did a butterfly house thing

For the older ones, love to shop vouchers?

TallulahTT Tue 13-Aug-13 10:46:34

For the older ones a bag of popcorn and a cinema gift card? Looks like a present but helps them when planning outings with friends and doesn't clutter up the house!
Amazon is often good for decent colouring in pens combined with a colouring book, there is a gruffalo version to colour in.

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 13-Aug-13 10:46:53

CMOTDibbler

Frankly, my nieces and nephews are very happy getting a selection box each - we spent years trying to buy interesting presents, but this is actually the most successful thing. As they've got older (22 to 16 now), they also get an iTunes or Amazon voucher, younger they got a book or pjs.

As you are going to be increasing the number of children in your generation to 12 soon, it might be time to suggest a secret santa arrangement so each child gets a nicer present from one auntie/uncle rather than everyone panicking! A friend who has 25 nephews and nieces says this works really well in his family - they pick an adult and a child each to buy for.

I know. 12! My dad is v excited about the prospect of a whole footy team and a reserve, love him! grin

We do a secret santa for the adults but think that we're nearing the point to do it for the DC too. good point.

I am thinking chocolates too.
I have seen some sweet cotton tote bags with initials on on ebay.
Might just do that tbh.
Thanks all

iloveholidays Tue 13-Aug-13 10:51:53

Cotton bag company did lovely personalised cotton bags, I used them last year.

Good luck!

BiddyPop Wed 14-Aug-13 17:25:43

My Dad and his 5 siblings agreed a couple of years back that they would only buy for their Godchildren and the Godchildren only buy for Godparents (9 of us in our generation - it really meant for the 6 adult "kids" as real children still get small pressies each, and DD does too, but that has a monetary limit).

Would they all be interested in something similar but not quite the same? Like different colours of t-shirt or sweatshirt, personalised with their names? Could do a bulk order now with a local or internet supplier.

Would "nice aunty Olivia" be likely to give very practical things like a hat, scarf and gloves set? Or different favourite character pyjamas (can add slipper socks if you wanted!).

Do Thorntons do anything like choccie reindeer that you can get names on (like Easter eggs can)? You could run in as soon as they bring that stock out, get them done then (presumably early to mid-November?) and put away until needed.

onlysettleforbutterflies Thu 15-Aug-13 13:56:14

I got all the children in my family a personalised A4 poster from gettingpersonal.co.uk last year and then framed them for their bedroom walls, worked out about £8 each. They have designs to suit all age ranges.

Belugagrad Sat 17-Aug-13 05:55:32

I'd buy several packs f books from book people an break up the sets. Cheap an educational!

Barbeasty Sat 17-Aug-13 08:01:52

Last year I got my 10 nieces and nephews kilner jars with the dry ingredients to make various chocolate brownies, rocky road, muffins etc.

They all loved them, and things like rocky road are good for really small ones to do with a parent, older ones can make things alone.

Then the jar can be used for whatever.

Recipes and instructions were from links on the homemade Christmas thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now