Christmas wedding - come and provide me with cheesy, OTT inspiration!

(42 Posts)
ballinacup Wed 31-Jul-13 15:14:40

DP and I get married on the 7th December and I want our wedding to be a Christmassy extravaganza.

The budget is not huge but me and my lovely bridesmaids are ready to roll up our sleeves and make stuff ourselves/trawl the shops for christmassy bargains.

So come on, bombard me with ideas!

TheSlug Thu 01-Aug-13 16:51:13

I had a Christmas wedding, 21st December. It was beautiful and everyone loved it. We had Christmas carols in the church before I arrived, My bms were in deep berry red, with furry white stoles, at the reception we had hot choc and mulled wine as welcome drinks, with mince pies and roasted chestnuts as appetisers. lots of Christmas songs all through the day. our first dance was to Mariah Carey's 'All I want...' Bit cringey, but we couldn't decide so just went with it.
our centrepieces were small Christmas trees (45cms high) with teeny tiny fairy lights. they were on gold plates with fake diamonds sprinkled round. On the tables we had Christmas crackers and candy canes, and mini home made fruit liqueurs. all the children got presents of things like comic books, playing cards and toys to keep them entertained at the table. We also had photo baubles made and hung them all on a tree for guests to take away as favours. Instead of a guestbook we had a medium sized Christmas tree with sparkly, round red gift tags for people to write on and hang on the tree. We also had tins of Quality street for people to have with their coffees after dinner.

the only thing we didn't have was a Christmas meal- we had sausage and mash smile (completely outs self)

Can you still get those chocolate truffles from Thorntons which look like Christmas puddings? They would be sweet as favours.

RoadsTwo Thu 01-Aug-13 17:04:30

My sis had one and we made cracker wedding favours. Guests loved it! Instead of jokes, we had table games to keep people entertained. Sort of pub quizzy, but not eg "Where did S & S first meet?", "What is it about them and ducks?". Some risqué questions in there too that set some tables giggling!

devonsmummy Thu 01-Aug-13 22:13:13

Oh yes candy canes!
They'd look great used as table decs
Maybe a huge vase with them hanging around the edge
Or small tree branches with them hanging from them

WaitingForMe Tue 06-Aug-13 08:18:58

I wonder if ilovevenice and I have a friend in common as I did the empty Christmas tree and asked guests to buy us a bauble.

I loved my Christmas wedding. I had a giant bunch of mistletoe instead of a bouquet, had cosmopolitans instead of champagne (looked very festive on the trays) and went to New York for my honeymoon.

I was all over the poncetastic thread and everyone was so lovely. There were dozens of tiny details from those genius ladies.

i would love to have a christmas wedding. dp might take some convincing as he hates the cold.

lisbapalea Tue 06-Aug-13 22:15:02

I also had a December wedding. Things I remember are:

large Ikea tealights burn for a longer time so don't need to be re-filled during the day, or buy long-burning candles from somethingforthewickend dot com

Ikea lanterns lighting the way to/from church and venue

sparklers and/or fireworks when you leave

Christmas songs as table names - our top table was the Mariah song etc

loads of carols in church so everyone sings loudly!

Christmas tree at the venue, small trees with lights outside entrance to church

we had Christmas music throughout the day - jingle bells when signing the register etc, old school Christmas croony music during the meal, proper Christmas cheese for the dancing

we bought Christmas gift bags and stuffed them with entertaining things for the child guests - e.g. Colouring in pics of Father Christmas etc

ballinacup Wed 07-Aug-13 10:32:05

I've been shopping for my centrepieces!

Got a load of hurricane vases reduced to £6 in Sainsbos, church candles to go in them and I'm going to add berries/pine cones etc around the bottom of the candles inside the vases, and sit the vases themselves in Christmas wreaths.

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Wed 07-Aug-13 12:04:07

Sounds awesome!

The comment about crackers upthread reminded me we had them as place settings at the Christmas wedding I attended, acting as favours, icebreakers and place names. I thought they were great fun!

I had an xmas wedding. I had a normal dress with a fur stole but i wish now that i'd had a long riding coat.

I had hurricane lamps with big church candles and with wreaths around the bases. My Mil dried hers and still uses it each xmas. I also had candy canes to take next to my guest book and served hot choc and mulled wine as reception drinks.

For the music i had vivaldi's "winter" and my minister suggested "in the bleak midwinter" for the line "i will give my heart" at the end but i couldnt sing it for blubbing each time i heard it after that so we sang Good King Wenceslas instead and everyone loved it! They said it was great to belt out a song they all knew rather than miming to hymns.

I used favour boxes that used looked like mini wrapped presents but i also looked at crackers too.

There was only one thing i didnt have and that was a brass band. I kept hearing the colliery bands playing and i cried each time, my wedding was on the 27th so i kept saying to dh i really would like a brass trio or something because its just soo christmassy and emotional. He kept rubbing my hand or patting it nodding sagely saying naaa you dont want that to the point i convinced myself he'd booked it as a surprise. I kept saying how they bound to be free and appreciate a booking after xmas as its bound to be a real lull for them. And he didnt bloody book them.

Makes me want to do it again with the riding coat and brass accompaniment now.

MooseyMoo Wed 07-Aug-13 20:09:31

What about Candy Cane Sleighs for favours?

Dilidali Wed 07-Aug-13 21:08:25

Aww, I love this thead!
Never thought of Christmas as a 'time for a wedding'.
I'll think about what you're asking OP smile

siblingrevelry Fri 16-Aug-13 11:20:08

Ballinacup saw these and thought of you!

www.dotcomgiftshop.com/set4-red-mini-rose-candle-in-bowl?all=1&ctid=5668&pos=126

Hope your plans are coming along x

ballinacup Fri 16-Aug-13 14:12:56

Oh sibling they are lovely! I've ordered a load. Don't know whether to have them as favours or just scatter them around artfully...

Secretswitch Fri 16-Aug-13 14:22:59

Ohhh..congratulations ballinacup! We went to a New Year's Eve wedding two years ago. Such a lovely romantic time..
I am watching this thread and getting excited for you!

lucysmam Sat 17-Aug-13 13:30:57

love this thread, I now want a Christmas wedding (when we save up)!!

The little star biscuits might make nice favours, wrapped in Xmassy cellophane with ribbon & a bauble.

Loads of spray painted pine cones in gold/silver scattered on tables.

Fairy lights, I love fairy lights grin would have them up now if dp would let me!!

Littlemousewithcloggson Sat 17-Aug-13 22:56:50

You can get small felt stockings, maybe put the sweets for the favours in them instead of jars? Very christmassy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now