What kind of things do you put in Christmas stockings?

(45 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Mon 29-Jul-13 09:24:27

We never had Christmas stockings growing up (huge sacks of presents in the living room instead!) and I'd love to start doing them for my DD's...

I've ordered personalised stockings but is it literally an orange, satsuma and the general sort of crap you get in a party bag?

What do you put in yours and how old are your DC?

*can't spell - typing fast - sorry!

BiddyPop Thu 01-Aug-13 14:15:07

As kids, we got a book, fruit (red apple, green apple, orange, stsuma, banana, kiwi, sometimes a pear too), box of sweets (like a 1lb box of fruit gums or similar), and then some presents. The only difference in my Parents house now is that ANY person other than themselves under their roof on Christmas Eve gets the book, sweets and fruit treatment still - so my siblings still get their stockings (which are in a pair of regular wearing socks - no fancy ones) and if there are DGrandkids there, their own parents look after those contents (although my DF possibly still organises fruit and sweets for those too).

I found a poem a good few years back, and use that for DD:

Something you want,
Something you need,
Something to eat, and
Something to read.

DD gets a book and a lorryload of fruit, with some sweets. (Ah, traditions).
I always get her something useful but nice - like fancy patterned multipack of knickers, nice socks, coloured hair grips or clips, maybe a hat/scarf/gloves set if bad weather ..... usually a nice type I probably wouldn't get her normally (I'd rarely get character knickers, for example, just plain coloured ones) but useful to have and possibly more likely to be used if Santa brings them.

And then a few bits and pieces of fun stuff, like maybe bottle of bubbles (for blowing in garden), transfer rubbing set, stickers, spinning top, fancy keyring (for bicycle lock), purse (for pocket money), little toys, curly straws, mini joke book, little jigsaw, craft things, ball for her sport, skipping rope, moshi monsters mini, small lego set, .....

I don't tend to get washing stuff - but then she gets a Lush Santa or an Ickle Baby Bot bath bomb on Christmas Eve in the hamper (along with new PJs and slipper socks, for all the family).

The towels you have to put in water to use (face cloths, small towel, I even see t-shirts in shops now!!) are great for stockings.

I don't tend to fill it full of crap, no - mostly things that have some use whether that is totally practical or to keep her occupied. But there is always some little nonsense there too.

BiddyPop Thu 01-Aug-13 14:49:02

Oh, and summer sales, and back to school time, are great times to look out for things to put away. (You only do plain pencils for school? - Santa might bring a nice charater one for writing with or a fancy rubber, that kinda thing).

A gift card can be useful too for older folks (tweens, teenagers, or even adults if there are adult stockings!), and I know last year I kept meaning to (but don't know if they still do them) get the paper vouchers for McD's that are worth a happy meal she can buy herself one day. Just never got round to it.

Do they have dolls or action figures? A new outfit for those is small.

Small toys like little bouncy balls, playdoh tubs, small dinky cars or toy soldiers, marbles, kaleidescope,

Accessories for a game they have, or expansion sets - extra lego blocks, a toolkit for action man, an extra food item/set for the kitchen/shop they already have?

A character toothbrush and toothpaste (encourage teeth brushing!!).

Pack of cards

Jewellery or makeup (suited to age, mostly a girls thing)

Pack of seeds for spring

Glowsticks - great fun on dark nights!

Blank or Thank you cards, and stamps (blatant blackmail!!) - very useful to make birthday cards for friends too later in the year.

Markers (especially if Mum normally only allows crayons or pencils!), twistables is another rarity in this house that Santa sometimes brings.

An apron to help in the kitchen, or small sized but practical tools (like child sized brush and spoon set!!).

Small sized cutlery or a nice cup/glass to drink from. You might have plenty, but sometimes an extra set is handy to have, or to help move from 1 stage to the next.

If there is something that they USE, get extra supplies of it. Like small marshmallows for hot chocolate, or plain coloured paper for art, or anopther pack of pipecleaners or coloured matchsticks or bottle of glue....replace that bottle of red paint that has just been finished (clever Santa to know about that being empty!).

Kiddie torches for emergencies.

Sorry, I tend to get carried away with ideas....

Feelslikea1sttimer Thu 01-Aug-13 14:54:48

I use a stocking to put anything in that will keep them in bed for an extra 5 minutes... They are teenagers now but I'll stick a cd or a DVD, a magazine, some sweets, has to be a satsuma at the bottom and other 'jokey' gifts that are probably totally uncool but unlike to see them being kids and giggling over silly stuff smile

(It never actually works and they are still in my room at 6am asking me to go downstairs and 'seeing he's been'

chanie44 Fri 02-Aug-13 11:18:29

I get a mixture of
Practical - bag, umbrella, drinks bottle
Small toys, books, cars, dolls
Treats - chocolate coins

They also have an Xmas eve hamper with pjs, toothbrush, bubble bath.

I buy things throughout the year when on offer eg the electric toothbrushes are half price, now £3.

Once unwrapped, I put some of their presents away and give them back throughout the year.

iloveholidays Tue 06-Aug-13 18:11:58

I'm really trying hard to avoid party bag stuff this year... got too much last year and just looked a bit silly against the nicer thought out stuff. I've already started getting some bits from the bargain threads..

from giftshopdotcom website got some stickers, stationary, craft sets, apple shaped sponges, notebooks, donut shaped boxes. I also picked up some beaded necklaces, hair accessories in the Sainsburys 70% off sale all for £1 each.

also where's wally books which were only £1.39 on amazon... not sure if they still are and a doodle book I got for £1.99 on amazon.

I'll also pick up drinks bottles, replace bath toys which is always a necessity each Christmas, chocolate, magazine and only other bits they might need like socks, pants etc.

I also do a Christmas eve hamper with pjs, bubble bath or foam soap, toothbrush etc. all bathtime/evening related.

the elf brings a few Christmas related books, DVDs and craft sets during December when we don't have much on.

oooh... I can't wait!

toffeelolly Thu 08-Aug-13 20:41:08

The newspaper the sun normally do tokens you collect for Lego, throughout the year, so I collect them all throughout the year for D's stocking he loves it, they normally start a few months before Christmas. Also buy little things throughout the year so they normally have a fair amount. And mine also love chocolate coins.

dementedma Mon 12-Aug-13 20:02:21

Teen/adult dds get cheap earrings,brooches, hair slides, nail polish, bath bomb from Lush,knickers,diary,little knicknacks,miniatures of Baileys,chocolate,makeup/toiletries,socks

Pre-teen Ds gets socks, boxers, CD,gadget type things from Hawkins Bazaar or Firebox, joke stuff like Whoopee Cushions,body spray,pencils,chocolate etc

num3onway Mon 12-Aug-13 20:09:50

Where can I get nice personalised stockings?

MrsOakenshield Mon 12-Aug-13 20:10:40

wowsers, to people's DC really get all of that in their stocking?? Holy moly.

DD is 3 and last year she got a clementine, chocolate coins, a Mr Man book, tights, some new knitted clothes for her dolly (from my aunt) and a little farmer to go with her farm animals (from my mum). Think that was it. Can't imagine she'll get much more this year.

Teen DDs get make up (usually mascara and foundation), Christmas socks, bra and pants, a book, a chocolate orange and an iTunes voucher. Then anything else I find that takes my eye - last year it was lush bath bombs and body shop body butter.

DS (6) gets socks, pants, a book, chocolate (coins or a Lindt reindeer) and a new pack of top trumps cards. He got a wind up torch and a small transformer figure as well last year.

BiddyPop Tue 13-Aug-13 09:14:48

Mrs Oakenshield,

In our case, DD gets a lot of fruit (red apple, green apple, orange, satsuma, banana, and a pear/kiwi) and some sweets - which takes up a lot of space, a book, and then a few more small things - some fun, some practical.

But my list is long as I have lots of ideas that fit into that category, some I have bought over the years and others I intend buying this year or in future years.

DD's stocking is not particularly large though (about 1' long and 4" wide) and it gets full, but not spilling all over the place.

iloveholidays Tue 13-Aug-13 11:27:56

I always go overboard with stockings... something magical about them. This year I'm just picking things up as I go along. presents under the tree are the ones I can't fit in smile

I tend to save the more expensive gifts for birthdays.

makingcontinents Sun 18-Aug-13 02:10:23

I don't bother with fruit anymore. My children just put it into the fruit bowl.

RhondaJean Brazil Sun 18-Aug-13 23:04:41

Right what will usually go in my DDs...

Chocolate coins in the toe.
Little toys - Moshi blind bags, something on 70 percent off in sainsbos.
Nail varnishes
Nail care set
Jewellery (cheap, Avon/Claire's sale type things)
Packet of funky tissues
Avon Christmas bubble bath
Lush bath bomb
New face cloth - usually one of the drop in water to expand ones
This year I've got them umbrellas
Stickers
Funky pens and pencil or other small bits of stationery
Little notebooks
Maybe a tiny craft set
And a Lindt Santa peeping out the top

I love doing stockings, it's maybe my favourite bit of Christmas because I get to pick complete surprises.

HamletsSister Sun 18-Aug-13 23:08:55

New outfit to wear on Christmas Day!

MumnGran Sun 18-Aug-13 23:45:05

Mine have always had new nighties/PJ's on Christmas Eve ... and new slippers always used to be in the stocking the next morning, but once they grew up had to appear with the nightclothes because they were just too big to fit in the stocking with anything else!!

Toe is always stuffed with a bag of chocolate coins and a satsuma (just because its traditional). The rest of the stocking is pretty much family tradition now, too ......
1. always something nice for the bath (Cinderella'y bubble bath when small, posh bath bombs or oils now.
2. Nail varnishes ...play type when small.
3. Tights .... Disney, then...."cost a fortune" by M&S. now.
4, Jewellery ...Cinderella tiara style then, nice earrings these days.
5. Pencils/crayons/sharpeners/rubbers/notebook .... in latest school craze
6. Dolls clothes or dolls house furniture
7. Sylvanian figures (for about 5 years!!!) - or latest small collectables
8. Joke shop toy - e.g.whoopee cushion, electric buzzer, fake poo......
(last 4 replaced as adults with make up, face creams, nice knicks, etc)
plus
9. One total surprise object that the recipient saw, and wanted.
and a chocolate santa on a stick to put in the top.

Mine are now late 20's early 30's, for pitys sake, and for the last 6 years I've had to do boys versions for their partners (one of whom thinks we are barmy about it!).
I buy bits through the year as I spot them.

Something that went down well with my elder two this year was a disposable camera each to take photos on Xmas day.

EugenesAxe Mon 19-Aug-13 00:07:47

A disposable camera is a great idea! But mine too small - 3 and 1. I love stocking presents. They tend to be small necessities, silly toy for Christmas morn, food, books.

There's always a satsuma and Choc coins. Usually some other choc treat too.

Last year I gave DS:

Magic flannel
Books
Perspex cup with floating penguins at bottom for bedtime water
Popping pig game
Bath crayons (rubbish but never mind)

RhondaJean Brazil Mon 19-Aug-13 18:08:16

Love the disposable camera!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now