Where to go for Xmas- debate started already!

(10 Posts)
starjules Sat 22-Jun-13 21:56:58

We always used to go here there and everywhere, but now we have a LO Christmas is at our home. Everyone is welcome to come to ours more the merrier, but we are not leaving. A couple of family members have said a few things about it but I don't care. Christmas is for little ones and little ones want to stay at home and play with their new presents and also its crap driving over Christmas as you cant drink if you are driving, there is always someone who wants a lift. Just say you want to stay at home and they are welcome to come to you. HTH!

GeekInThePink Fri 21-Jun-13 17:36:38

For years as a child we were driven here there and everywhere. Then in our teens we begged our parents not to. The years at home were my favourite. Lazy mornings drinking champagne and eating chocolate just relaxing and then Boxing Day or the day after family came to us.

We always have Christmas at home as a family but it's an open house day.

ArtexMonkey Fri 21-Jun-13 16:34:57

What I would do is push for Christmas Day all at home doing yer own thing, then bath dc, put them in jamas, drive to ILs and do it all again Boxing Day. That way, no rushing about in the main body of the day, dc get to spend the whole day playing with their santa presents and aren't falling asleep en route then not settling at night etc. also: two Christmas dinners. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Belugagrad Fri 21-Jun-13 16:29:10

I know one sleep, you're right, I just want to please everyone and myself! smile

They live just under 2 hrs away, I think I'm going to push for Xmas eve/ morning at home and then Xmas lunch and
Boxing day at in laws, thanks for all being so understanding smile

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 21-Jun-13 15:02:56

Err you're an adult. You don't' have' to go to anybody's if you don't want to. Especially if you have your own family, which should be your priority. I really don't understand all the Christmas angst.

girlywhirly Fri 21-Jun-13 14:57:42

Are the ILS very far away, could you go and arrive just before lunch so that you have some of the morning at home? It's difficult if you have to travel any distance. If you have to stay over you can still do some traditions.

I remember one Christmas eve afternoon driving to widowed MILS (pre DC), a 2hr journey which took twice as long, and when we arrived at amost teatime she wanted us to take her to the local supermarket to get the shopping as she didn't drive! DH asked her why she hadn't thought of getting a taxi there and one back, and she just said 'I hadn't thought of that. I only know that I couldn't get loads of shopping back on the bus by myself.' He said 'it's Christmas eve, you could have got it all done this morning if you'd got a taxi, we've just had the journey from hell on the motorway and now we'll have to hope there's stuff left. You really must get out of the mindset of always using buses, you're not impoverished, you can afford taxis when you need them.' Quite a cringey moment.

After DC, we alternated between ours and hers. The bonus of going to hers was not having to plan any meals or shopping for 2-3 days, and often got leftovers to bring home.

ArtexMonkey Thu 20-Jun-13 21:50:28

I think children should be at their own home on Christmas Eve/morning, and extended family need to fit in with that, whether it's coming to stay, or getting together on Boxing Day or whatever. I accept though that we are very lucky in this; neither set of parents is uptight about having to see us on the day itself, and we live less than 45 mins away by car from them all. I just don't get this dragging children and their presents and paraphernalia all around from pillar to post over Christmas. It's not right.

Belugagrad Thu 20-Jun-13 21:39:54

Jealous of the skiing! Yes alternating is a fair compromise, I just don't want to compromise!sad last year we hosted to put off going to in laws, it's just about traditions and things, I do like them! I suppose I have to make new traditions, I know dd will like most options but I'll be the grump

Xenia Thu 20-Jun-13 16:24:28

For 20 years we dragged loads of small children in second hand breaking down cars up North to visit both sets of relatives Christmas after Christmas every single year (I think),. Actually we sometimes drove up on 25th afternoon as their father worked most Christmas mornings which was pretty difficult too. I hope it was appreciated. It was very hard work. I think it was the right thing to do.

Perhaps you can alternate between your in laws, your parents and your own home or something like that.

Not surprisingly I have quite a few takers - indeed 100% take up - for this years booked over Christmas skiing holiday in a luxury hotel. I do appreciate how lucky I am to be able to afford that for everyone.

Belugagrad Thu 20-Jun-13 16:12:39

Just that really(my sister called to
Make plans) I'm going to sound spoilt but I've always had Christmas where I wanted but this year I have to go to the In laws, , it will be fine but not the same. My sister said she'll have mum. I sound like a baby but I want Xmas morning at home with dd....sympathy or tough love welcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now