DP thinks I'm mental!

(80 Posts)
lucysmam Tue 01-Jan-13 21:12:33

Started this years Christmas shopping last Saturday (few reduced decs to replace broken/6 rolls wrapping paper for a quid/cards for school and us/couple of stocking fillers/new snow blanket to replace tatty old one) spent about 4 quid on the lot

So on Saturdays list for this week I have more stocking fillers & am going to mooch around & see what else is on offer cheap.

Plus I was going to get started on the odd little bits of crafty/making I do do for Christmas.....

Please tell me I'm NOT mental & I'm NOT alone in having started already.........................................

QOD Thu 03-Jan-13 15:35:46

I bought Xmas cards today, naice ones, for 50p

mynameis Thu 03-Jan-13 15:58:35

Ooh where from QOD? I thought I was doing well with 50p Primarni ones grin

Oreocrumbs Thu 03-Jan-13 17:02:32

Got some nice wrapping paper in M&S today, 49p a roll had been £3. They only had one design though, but it is a nice one!

I'm struggling to find nice cards and paper in most places. They have either all gone or they didn't put them out this year.

Went to asda on the 27th and thought I would get some bits then but there was nothing out confused. Surely they couldn't have sold all of the christmas stock by boxing day so I think they must be keeping some back for next year.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Thu 03-Jan-13 17:10:02

I've got 8 rolls of wrapping paper reduced to 50p each, a toiletry set for my uncle reduced to £1, some stocking bits for dsc, dog stockings the kind with toys rather than treats reduced to 10p each

I will pick things up throughout the whole year as and when I see them.

Wingdingdong Thu 03-Jan-13 18:21:19

I wouldn't buy presents but I have been buying up Sainsbury's stocks of gold, silver and red tissue paper at 49p a pack, plus glitter pens, ribbons and anything else that will liven up DD's craft box. Shiny wrapping paper is particularly sought after for crowns, pirate treasure, etc and DD doesn't care if it's embossed with holly leaves!

I've also been buying cheap books, especially non-Xmas sticker/activity books. Not as presents but for DC during the year as reward/bribe/treat when sick etc. book of 1000 transport stickers for £1 in Sainsbury's, which I'll tear sheets from to keep in my bag.

QOD Thu 03-Jan-13 21:24:01

My naice cards are from <cough> Chavda

But we'll nice!

PoppyWearer Fri 04-Jan-13 08:29:58

Me too, OP! Have bought DS's birthday presents (he'll be 2yo in the summer), and cards and wrapping paper from Paperchase and Waitrose. Paperchase never very cheap, but I love their kids' paper. Was gobsmacked to see wrapping paper for 70p in Waitrose, nice stuff too, and matching tags.

I also got some basic-but-good-quality arty bits in ELC. Stocking fillers for next year if they don't get used in the meantime.

Also got some non-Christmas chocs in Waitrose - large tubes of Smarties for 34p. They won't last to next Christmas but I can decant them a few at a time for the DCs as the odd treat.

Have also been buying next year's Christmas jumpers/pyjamas etc for the DCs.

Was gutted to miss out on the Asda Little Tikes Cozy Coupe offer - wanted a new one to replace our battered second-hand one but not going to pay full whack.

PoppyWearer Fri 04-Jan-13 08:45:06

OP, rather than £5 per adult in your family, why not each draw an adult's name from a hat and if you would have spent £50 on ten adults, spend £50 on that one person and everyone gets a better present that way?

We do this in DH's family now and it works much better than lots of smaller stuff you didn't want anyway.

Scout19075 Fri 04-Jan-13 20:23:56

I bought a few more presents today and even managed to finish present shopping for one of my friends at home. blush grin When you see what she likes for 75% off RRP you snatch it while you can -- so two Tatty Teddies plus TT gift bag for just over £6. Nice! And the singing Pluto I spied for £20 before Christmas which was reduced to £10 on-line and in the shop rang up at £5.99 at the till (AND it was the only one left in the shop). Result! My Mom is going to be so excited by it (Mom loves Pluto and he's hard to find).

QOD Fri 04-Jan-13 20:50:35

Sainsbury 70% off sale today ! Pizza express mug, cuddle mug x 2, marmite egg cups, wh bag and make up bag set and nandos salsa pot set all from £1.50

Secret Santa sorted and some friend pressies during the year :D

mynameis Fri 04-Jan-13 21:21:21

70% off you say

<rushes off to sainsburys.com>

notapizzaeater Fri 04-Jan-13 21:25:05

I bought 6 tubs of sweet mincemeat 1.3 kg sell by date oct 14 at 30p each - was texting my mum asking how many she wanted - they weren't obv reduced just on an end of aisle ...

fuzzpig Fri 04-Jan-13 21:30:10

I have started practising some festive cooking - didn't get around to any before or during Xmas so I've just tried a few things. I am terrible at stuff like that so I thought I'd start now in the hope of being more confident by Xmas this year.

rhondajean Fri 04-Jan-13 21:33:52

Bloody hell and I can't get to sainsbos till tomorrow.

myron Sat 05-Jan-13 01:47:58

Wait rose wrap at 40p per roll and gift tags at 10p per pack of 10 today. Also Stocked up on some choc coins for party bags for dd's birthday in a few weeks at 25p per bag. Loads of Xmas choc and puddings also further reduced which i passed on. Monsoon had girly accessories at 70 % off so bought a few items for dd's birthday. Being frugal and waiting for 70% off rather than 50% off but seems to be less stock this year than previous years.

I was in Debenhams and saw some tablecovers and napkins.
Original price £95.
They had white for a large table 50% off
Red but only medium.
The cream was 50% off then reduced again to £28.

I searched for a large enough cover before Christmas (got a white on) so I bought the cream damask with 8 napkins.
DH was hmm. Doesn't understand.
But when I set the table nicely he'll be "Oh that's pretty"

Oreocrumbs Sat 05-Jan-13 10:11:19

Went to the big asda last night (my local still hasn't put anything out) and they have the last of the christmas stuff reduced right down.

Got the extra wide rolls for 37p, the 10m kids rolls for 25p and the nicer foil ones for 50p.

Also had hello kitty 10m rolls for 37p - loads of those.

Had some decorations and bits, all really cheap now.

If you are not dieting they have loads of the biscuits and chocolate reduced too.

lucysmam Sat 05-Jan-13 13:18:35

not managed to get to asda yet, both kids been poorly. Back to school and nursery monday so will have a scoot into town to see if there'sanything useful still about

fuzzpig Sat 05-Jan-13 15:42:22

I'm really gutted I've not been well enough to get out to the shops. Possibly a good thing as I've not spent any money...

I have set up a separate "Christmas 2013" wishlist on amazon though, and have stuck a few things on there. They are things I'm a bit concerned won't be available nearer the time so I may get them soon. I am still lusting after the chunkichilli (recommended on here) stockings but they are £22 each so £88 for the four of us. Was really hoping they'd be on sale now Xmas has passed. Also looking for a wooden advent calendar and some nice child friendly tree decorations (everything I looked at in the shops was really tacky/flimsy) if anyone has any suggestions please?

We've also agreed to invest in better storage for our tree (25 years old and going strong!) and decorations, and wrapping paper - will be getting some Really Useful Boxes for that.

rhondajean Sat 05-Jan-13 16:09:03

Bugger I need to go to Asda too now, not long back from sainsbos, got four packs of cards and five rolls of paper and nandos pirisalsa set all with 70 percent off grin

DoubleYew Sat 05-Jan-13 16:46:29

fuzzpig, Johhn Lewis online had lots of reduced felt type tree decorations in Clearance. Not sure if they'd still be in stock.

Also cox and cox 75% off. Expensive P&P though.

DoubleYew Sat 05-Jan-13 16:47:47

Also dotcomgifts for wooden advent calender, mine has come yet so not sure of the quality of it.

fuzzpig Sat 05-Jan-13 17:21:18

Ooh will have a look thanks. Actually have a £10 JL voucher to spend smile

I bought 2 stockings from M&S (£3 and £2 ) for the DC for next year.

Even though next year they will be 14 and 11.6 yo, you never get too old for a stocking do you? grin

nkf Sat 05-Jan-13 22:07:29

It is a leetle early, surely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now