Anyone taken Christmas decorations down yet ?

(37 Posts)
busymummy3 Sun 30-Dec-12 22:35:29

We always take ours down on Twelfth night (one of the last in our street ) but I have noticed that this year even those who have them down day after Boxing Day have still got them up !
Dread taking them down- House always looks so bare sad

TheJanuaryProject Sun 13-Jan-13 09:16:29

My neighbours still have nasty looking decorations on their window and someone across the street has a wreath on the door. It's just wrong.

gazzalw Sun 13-Jan-13 08:45:35

DD has a book about the Queen - her life history in potted form for children. Anyway it clearly states (and I'm sure the facts will have been checked) that Christmas decorations are left up at Sandringham until February...so there is a royal precedent....

Have to say I've seen quite a few twinkling lights in people's sitting rooms but I know some people take down the tree/cards and leave up the lights which is quite lovely.....

You would expect students might be a bit anarchic about it!

Also, doesn't the Russian Orthodox Church celebrate Christmas in January sometime so you might find that's the reason some people haven't taken them down yet....

Lisatheonewhoeatsdrytoast Sat 12-Jan-13 22:38:31

Student flat today in Edinburgh, looked in window while was at traffic lights, tree still up lights still on :S

I passed a house on Friday that still had some window decorations up.

<<Shame on you, householder>> shock

Garnier Sun 06-Jan-13 19:02:12

Down this morning. Bare but spacious!

gazzalw Sun 06-Jan-13 18:59:18

Sorry I've used an apostrophe wrongly....apologies!blush

I guess the Christmassy emoticons will be gone by tomorrow too sad...

gazzalw Sun 06-Jan-13 18:56:09

All done and dusted and a bit sad. It does all look a bit stark... But because of new and rearranged furniture can't say that the Christmas tree showed it's true beauty this year. Also the growing kitten was in it too many times wrecking the carefully positioned decorations...So maybe a blessing really.

Not sure why but this Christmas just didn't seem as Christmassy as usual.....maybe it's as the DCs get older....

Only another 330 days or so until the whole thing starts again :-)

pumpkinsweetieMasPudding Sat 05-Jan-13 23:53:26

I took mine down on the 3rd, miss them already. Looks so bare now & i miss the sparkly lightssad

MirandaWest Sat 05-Jan-13 23:46:12

I'm enjoying the lights from the Christmas tree for one last night sad

busymummy3 Sat 05-Jan-13 23:44:28

Yes Bacon ,Twelfth Night is 6th January, Feast of The Epiphany ( The Three Kings ) traditionally when Christmas ends and decorations etc taken down.

shockers Sat 05-Jan-13 19:05:47

We took ours down on Thursday. All my friends have taken theirs down early too this year.

BardOfBarking Sat 05-Jan-13 19:04:38

Mine came down on Wednesday night blush I get them up earlyish first weekend in December and then I like them down on New years day as a rule.

Fresh clean house for the new year.

BaconAndAvocado Sat 05-Jan-13 18:57:01

Being thick, is Twelfth Night tomorrow?

TheJanuaryProject Thu 03-Jan-13 17:55:41

Ours came down today. I love having them up, but the room was starting to feel cluttered and untidy. The tree was in the window too, so I was desperate to let some daylight in.

judefawley Thu 03-Jan-13 01:29:40

We've been away and when we got back, they looked wrong.

Took them down today - it looks so nice and spacious.

Poor tree is already chopped up and in wood basket.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Thu 03-Jan-13 01:16:23

Took everything down this evening. I LOVE Christmas but they've been up for almost a month, life still isn't back to normal thanks to visiting in-laws and I'm just fed up of looking at them.

busymummy3 Thu 03-Jan-13 00:46:35

All down and our new carpet looks beautiful !

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Tue 01-Jan-13 17:03:01

Our tree came down today but only because it really dried out this time, first time we've had a problem. We knew it was time when last night the angel fell off taking with it several baubles and a deer. When a Christmas tree starts shedding ornaments of its own accord you know it's had enough.

gazzalw Tue 01-Jan-13 16:54:45

DW took the Christmas cards down today....think she's itching to feel productive. It does rather seem as if the whole world grinds to a halt over Christmas/New Year....

Took mine down yesterday as had a cleaning blitz of the house so that it would be all sparkly clean today so it made sense smile It does feel nice for it all to be packed away smile

MrsNPattz Mon 31-Dec-12 21:33:14

Ours came down Boxing Day as we were going to visit my family the next day until the 5th so didn't want them up when we got back!

MonsterBookOfTinsel Mon 31-Dec-12 16:58:19

Ours will be down Thursday of Friday. Getting Dh to do it when I go to visit my mum with dc.

tacal Mon 31-Dec-12 16:55:38

Mine came down on the 28th. It was good to get things back to normal.

gazzalw Mon 31-Dec-12 16:39:19

Up until 12th Night here too...and we're atheists blush. We usually put the tree up on the first Sunday of Advent but were a week late this year so it hardly feels as if it's been up any time at all and only another few days before it has to come down..

Mind you our newest pusscat has been using it for climbing practice and has virtually annihilated it so maybe it will be good to retire it for the year ;-)

changeforthebetterforObama Mon 31-Dec-12 09:39:30

Up till Twelfth Night here too. Brought up a Catholic (long ago lapsed) but the traditions die hard. Although, thinking about it, I completely forgot to put the crib up this year..... blush Have been really ill so perhaps that will absolve me a bit grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now