so its only....

(1001 Posts)
RabidCarrot Wed 26-Dec-12 10:10:42

364 days till Christmas grin

Well MadBusLady in eight days time you can release your inner Rabbie Burns and have a good old Burns Night grin

Haggis, neeps, mashed carrots, tatties
Whiskey
Some strange pudding (Athol Brose) made with cream, raspberries, toasted oats and whiskey (see a theme here) grin

Lots of speeches and Rabs Yer Uncle smile

buzzgirly Thu 17-Jan-13 21:53:49

We had a celebration today - my ds 1st birthday! That may have been the quickest year ever! He was pretty oblivious though, dd was completely over excited though.

I think the pudding you are meaning 70s is called cranachan - I'm not that keen on it, but I love haggis!

That's the one buzz . (So what's Athol Brose I wonder. I didn't make it up, honest)

Happy Birthday buzz-baby . Happy First Birthday grin

RabidCarrot Fri 18-Jan-13 06:59:37

Off to Tesco to do the weekly shop and stock up on toilet roll in case of snow grin

RabidCarrot Sat 19-Jan-13 09:17:03

grin I stocked up with looroll at Costco .
My dad phoned me today (he lives near Glasgow) "I've gone out and bought two loaves"
OK , he's 76 yo. And diabetic.
But I told him it's people like him panic buying bread (2 loaves for him and my mother- shameful) that empties the supermarket shelves.
Hoiks bosom in a Les Dawson fashion and clutches pearls shock

DD and I traipsed through the snow feeling festive (would have been nicer at Christmas if we'd had snow. Oh well, next year?)

So, how are we doing, CountDown wise then ?

GiraffesEatPineapples Sun 20-Jan-13 00:12:07

Bought some cards this week smile

I'm stealing the countdown.
Rabid must be Missing In Action on the way home with her toilet roll hoard.

wink

RabidCarrot Sun 20-Jan-13 12:12:06

Thank you 70s my internet died this morning, but DP has given it a good kicking stern talking too grin
Yep 339 so in to the 30s

buzzgirly Sun 20-Jan-13 13:29:59

I bought some cheap cards today. I have put them away and will probably find them in about 2 Christmases!

I'm jealous that you all have snow, we have had none at all.

RabidCarrot Sun 20-Jan-13 13:52:51

it is snowing again here, yesterday we went sledging and built a 6 foot tall snow man that looked just like DP

RabidCarrot Mon 21-Jan-13 09:06:22

I was tidying up DD room (off school due to snow) and found her copy of The Night Before Christmas (Christian Birmingham illustrations- it's lovely).

And wistfully thinking 4 weeks ago if we'd had the snow, outside would have looked like these lovely pictures with all the house lights.

sad git emoticon

RabidCarrot Tue 22-Jan-13 06:49:30

BiddyPop Tue 22-Jan-13 14:15:11

We've had a small flurry of white stuff today (on dry clear ground) after a VERY frosty start. Yesterday was a slushy start as there was about 3cm of melting snow on my car, but it didn't last. But traffic is crawling (I think as much because there are a LOT of commuters who normally cycle in the area who aren't braving the elements this week and driving the cars they usually use only at weekends). So I am spending too long driving which leaves not enough time for everything else (and I'm sleeping badly). And stressed out trying to keep manic workloads, paying bills and household organisation, settle DD (bashed elbow which I may have to get xrayed tonight and missing her Dad) and distract myself from missing DH (he travels for work, and after 6 weeks of him home over Christmas, we are back into the "2 weeks here, 2 weeks in South Africa" cycle again sad).

So thoughts of Christmas are on the back burner (I had hoped to get to Boots before sale ends).

I DID hear that M&S had a last markdown last Fri though, so as I was very late taking lunch (basically, 15 mins to go to chemist and collect mending), I ran in to M&S next door to chemist and thought about a lovely handbag (60 to 15 and lovely, but too red a brown for me, I wanted more black/brown) but came away with a pair of jogging pants (13 to 3.75) and a long-line wine cardi (65 down to 24, but girl messed up scanning tag and scanned joggers twice, I only copped later at home as sometimes there have been amazing reductions at last minute so I learn to say nothing, but got both for 7.50!). Then ran back to office in sleety slush and worked like a demon for the rest of the afternoon.

Traffic was so bad Fri pm that city centre gridlocked - I had DH with me, au pair was already going to be babysitting and collects DD from afterschool club on Fri anyway, so we abandoned thoguhts of getting home and went for a pizza in town instead and a pint at our local (we'd both have fallen asleep at cinema, which had been original plan earlier in the week). So nice surprise at the end of the week.

RabidCarrot Wed 23-Jan-13 07:49:02

RabidCarrot Wed 23-Jan-13 07:52:25

Biddy you have a lot going on, take a deep breath and don't run yourself in to the ground, the thread needs you

BiddyPop Wed 23-Jan-13 10:58:02

Don't worry, the mad panics at work should be over by tomorrow lunchtime (if not tonight), and as I broke a tooth having dinner last night, I have a dentist appointment at 4.30 tomorrow, so will have to leave work at 3, after a training session most of the morning!! And I don't feel 1 bit guilty about it!! grin

I may even need a liquid dinner after a filling (I always chew my cheeks otherwise), so it may be fermented grape juice as the best option!!

BiddyPop Wed 23-Jan-13 10:58:21

wine

RabidCarrot Wed 23-Jan-13 11:56:27

loving your style

RabidCarrot Thu 24-Jan-13 06:59:04

Oh this time last month was The Big Day sad
Only another eleven months to go.

Hmmmmm, I wish I knew how many days that would be...
(Takes socks off to enable myself to count up to 20 )

LentilAsAnything Fri 25-Jan-13 00:46:56

11 months! Woo hoo! smile
I wish we still had festive smileys, if only for this section!

Wallison Fri 25-Jan-13 00:53:55

I'm so pleased that I found this thread; I love Christmas!

This year I got some wrapping paper that said "A present from Santa" on it and it was red background with white and gold writing on it. I would love to get it again for next Christmas but can't remember which shop it was from. Does anybody have any idea?

RabidCarrot Fri 25-Jan-13 06:53:58

This thread is not accepting new messages.