Iceland frozen food yay or nay?

(18 Posts)
nappybrain Mon 10-Dec-12 21:59:31

Seen their party food get a mention on here a few times....is it any good or am I safer sticking to the likes of Sainsburys for a boxing day buffet?

baileysontherocks Mon 10-Dec-12 22:06:52

yay iv tried party food from everywhere but i will go out of my way 10 miles just to get stuff from iceland because its better than any other place smile

devilinside Mon 10-Dec-12 22:36:36

hmmm, I wasn't impressed with the selection I brought for last Xmas eve. Their infamous prawn ring was ok though smile

armani Mon 10-Dec-12 23:11:08

No, cheap and nasty imo.

Themilkybarisonme Mon 10-Dec-12 23:19:09

We had some M&S party stuff the other day and it was RANK. Lobster and prawn disc things - utterly grim. Prawn and asparagus ball things -minging. Posh profiteroles - dangerously gorgeous.
If you do their 3 for 2 AVOID lobster and prawn. Bleck.

chanie44 Mon 10-Dec-12 23:21:02

some of the food is nice, others are horrible. I quite like stuff like the chicken skewers. the chocolate coated strawberries look gross,as do the lasagne bites.

spookysal Mon 10-Dec-12 23:23:48

It all tastes the same. Cheap and processed.

That said, the prawn ring always goes fast on a buffet, bizarrely.

BluelightsAndSirens Mon 10-Dec-12 23:34:47

The chicken satays are nice
The ribs are not
The lasagne bites look disgusting
The £5 Chinese party pack is yummy
The choc strawberries are mushy shite
I really like the breaded king prawns
I've never tried the prawn ring.

Their £6 extra large fresh whole chicken was really nice, much better than an Asda chicken with lots left for sandwiches, they also have some great deals on Christmas chocolates smile

Some of it is ok. Not as attractive as on the ads though.

SantaWearsGreen Tue 11-Dec-12 00:47:23

Haven't tried the party selection, by the looks of it as a vegi I couldn't have any of it even if I wanted to (which I don't). Its all cheap processed mush, really not worth the money.

ChippingInAWinterWonderland Tue 11-Dec-12 00:51:46

I was talking about this the other night (their Ad seems to be on all the time!!) - my friends said they hadn't had any in ages - he likes it, she doesn't. I haven't had any in years (decades) - we are thinking about having an Iceland party treat night (just for dinner - not actually a party, we are all too knackered for that) if we do I'll report back (if MN get the Threads I'm on working again!!).

Anyone have any suggestions of 'good stuff' (or stuff to avoid?!) for vegetarians??

CuriousMama Tue 11-Dec-12 01:12:14

Those mini lasagnes look rank.

Morrison's party snacks are nice. And Asda do some chicken ball things that are nice too.

BluelightsAndSirens Tue 11-Dec-12 04:16:35

Mini veg spring rolls are,ok

A
Do do some cheap nice pâté and cheese.

twinklesparkles Tue 11-Dec-12 12:58:52

Some things are nice.. Some are gross

But mostly its pretty good. Its a lot better than co-ops stuff and better than morrisons

Icelands indian platter is lovely.
The chocolate covered strawberrys aren't

You can normally get brand offers pretty cheap there too.

nappybrain Tue 11-Dec-12 17:21:36

Hhhm ok thank...all sounds a bit hit and miss might try a few of the recommends and mix in with other bits from different supermarkets then.. I shall steer clear of choc strawbs and lasagne bites!

twinklesparkles Tue 11-Dec-12 18:35:22

The cakes are nice. Chocolate fudge cake is stunning smile

They quite regularly have chicago town/youngs/ben and jerrys on offer

Oh and they're oven chips aren't too bad, have only had crinkle though

Sorry I'm not more specific, we don't go often. Iceland always seems to be a busy/popular shop though so they must not be too bad

spottymoo Tue 11-Dec-12 19:17:30

We had them last Boxing Day and was all disappointed in the Iceland selection ill stick with sainsburys this year

TenPercenter Tue 11-Dec-12 23:14:15

I think we will get the king prawn £5 pack, you can't go that wrong with king prawns surely. We have had the chinese/indian ones before and they are edible ,but nothing special, all taste a it samey. They also do mini greggs sausage rolls which I am greatly looking forward to trying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now