Aldi's Four Bird Roast

(60 Posts)
JakeBullet Sun 09-Dec-12 09:16:01

Am I being dead skanky doing this as the Christmas meal at home? Anyone tried it....is it as good as I am hearing?

There's only going to be me, DS and exDH (yes really) for Xmas dinner.

Every year I knock myself out buying a turkey, stuffing it, getting all the timings right for cooking etc and this year I just want to take it easy. I have bought one of these, it's in the freezer along with smoked salmon for breakfast etc.

I just want to relax and enjoy things this year without all the hassle. I want to be able to have a drink and know that all the prep is sorted out for me.

It's not something I would usually buy and in the past I have bought into all the hype about turkey (or other meat). This year though I am on benefits for the first time ever so don't have the spare cash I am used to having. Aldi's had good deals on the salmon and other stuff so I went there.

Don't know why I am asking really lol, surely if we enjoy it then that's all that matters.exH said "ooh delicious" when I told him what I'd bought.

So anyone else tried it? What was your opinion?

HoHoHokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 12-Dec-12 14:11:46

I have cooked it a couple of times and think it's really nice.

RaspberryLemonPavlova Wed 12-Dec-12 14:08:09

We like them here, adults and children. It will be fine.

JakeBullet Wed 12-Dec-12 13:48:18

We are having it......I was going to get a chicken but sadly my car battery died this week and so did the radiator......it's cost me just shy of £130 I didn't really have to get both done. Still, at least the car is on the road again.

Aldi 4 Bird Roast it is then....

I've had that, it was rubbish. Tiny and you'd never know there were 4 different flavours.

Elfontheshelfiswatchingyou Tue 11-Dec-12 21:16:30

The Aldi 4 bird roast is nice, just highly flavoured. You could get that and a Quorn roast (3 for £5 in Asda) for people who want something bland. I cook the
Quorn roast for just under the time stated then slice and put in a dish with veg gravy for 15 mins in the oven, as Quorn can be a bit dry. Still only £15 for all the meat (and non-meat).

The M&S Four bird joint is £120!

Back2Two Tue 11-Dec-12 20:31:58

Please tell me they don't call it a turducken? Turd?

TapirAroundTheChristmasTree Sun 09-Dec-12 20:24:34

We had this for xmas dinner last year - it was a big hit, even my notoriously fussy ds liked it.

derekthehamster Sun 09-Dec-12 20:18:37

Just finished the aldi one, new and improved recipe on the packaging if it makes any difference. It was yummy grin

sausagesandwich34 Sun 09-Dec-12 20:13:29

our butcher does a 7 bird roast with a quail in the middle which I've always found odd as only one or 2 people at most get any so what's the point?

SpeckleDust Sun 09-Dec-12 20:05:33

Aldi sell fresh and frozen turkey crowns in the lead up to Christmas. The fresh ones are still a bit pricey, but the frozen crowns are only £9.99. I got a fresh one a couple of years ago and it was very good (with very little waste).

Hassled Sun 09-Dec-12 19:52:32

If you're skint, buy a chicken. A good roast chicken is a fine meal - it will be much nicer than that Aldi shiteness.

Hassled Sun 09-Dec-12 19:50:57

Agree the Aldi one is bloody vile. It tastes like school dinners smell.

You could always try a Lidl goose - they're £19.99 and really good - this'll be my third year of having one - I do it á la Gordon Ramsay with a citrus and 5 spice rub, and red wine and date sauce (Googole will find recipes for both). Seriously tasty, plenty of meat - would probably feed 6 at a pinch, but actually feeds 2, plus scraps for dogs, and some left over for a salad on Boxing Day, when we also have some cold turkey from a (Lidl, £9.99) turkey crown, plus home baked ham (butchers, dunno how much it'll cost yet).

serin Sun 09-Dec-12 19:39:39

We bought the Aldi one a couple of christmases ago when it was the 3 bird Turducken (turkey, duck, chicken!)

Seriously, it ruined christmas dinner.

I am not a fussy eater and do the weekly shop in Aldi but honestly the thing was beyond vile.

The kids still tease me about it.

Eat it now if you must but dont let it spoil your christmas dinner!

JakeBullet Sun 09-Dec-12 16:55:46

Just been looking at the price of turkey crowns shockshockshock

Might just stick with the Aldi thing and toast to a more successful 2013 financially.

Hah! It's been a revelation being on benefits....don't think I ever considered how expensive stuff was at Xmas before grin.

Ho hum!

Snog Sun 09-Dec-12 15:52:46

WE are getting the Adlington 3 bird roast from ocado this year - goose, chicken and pheasant
I'm pretty excited about it and i hope its tasty as its certainly £££!

TimeyWimeyStuff Sun 09-Dec-12 12:33:48

We had an amazing three bird roast from a local farm shop last year. Always a winner with me!

RooneyMara Sun 09-Dec-12 12:26:55

Yes NKF I think that's it, it's not like meat with stuffing, or meat with something else, it's meat with, erm, more meat, and they are all going to get lost in each other.

RooneyMara Sun 09-Dec-12 12:24:56

I would have thought it harder work than just a bird?

I mean it's not hollow so will probably take a good while to figure out if it's cooked all the way through or not iyswim?

I'm a useless cook and even I find a roasted chicken not too tricky...but I'd be downright scared of a huge lump of stuff like that!

BendyBobsBrusselsSprouts Sun 09-Dec-12 12:16:31

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall made one with ten once. I remember seeing the programme and boggling at the logistics of it.

nkf Sun 09-Dec-12 12:15:10

I find the idea of three or more bird roast a bit weird. I don't know why. I can see it's not so very different to stuffing inside poultry but don't the meats just sort of cancel each other out?

ceeveebee Sun 09-Dec-12 12:12:35

Wow, I'd heard of the three-bird roast but am very excited to hear there's a four- bird roast! It's like razors, where they keep adding an extra blade grin

<holds out for five bird roast>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now