Aldi's Four Bird Roast

(60 Posts)
JakeBullet Sun 09-Dec-12 09:16:01

Am I being dead skanky doing this as the Christmas meal at home? Anyone tried it....is it as good as I am hearing?

There's only going to be me, DS and exDH (yes really) for Xmas dinner.

Every year I knock myself out buying a turkey, stuffing it, getting all the timings right for cooking etc and this year I just want to take it easy. I have bought one of these, it's in the freezer along with smoked salmon for breakfast etc.

I just want to relax and enjoy things this year without all the hassle. I want to be able to have a drink and know that all the prep is sorted out for me.

It's not something I would usually buy and in the past I have bought into all the hype about turkey (or other meat). This year though I am on benefits for the first time ever so don't have the spare cash I am used to having. Aldi's had good deals on the salmon and other stuff so I went there.

Don't know why I am asking really lol, surely if we enjoy it then that's all that matters.exH said "ooh delicious" when I told him what I'd bought.

So anyone else tried it? What was your opinion?

AnaisB Sun 09-Dec-12 11:02:23

And in terms of showing respect to the animal the name "pigs in blankets" takes the piss!

HollyGoHeavily Sun 09-Dec-12 11:08:17

Relatives cooked one of these on Boxing Day last year - tbh, it wasn't very nice. Some of the meat was quite greasy and other bits really dry and the stuffing was grim. If you want a no fuss, no mess option i'd go for a turkey crown - you just shove it in a roasting tin and baste a few times. It's very easy to carve and no waste.

AllTheYoungDudes Sun 09-Dec-12 11:10:12

I've cooked it,it was ok.I wouldn't have it for Christmas dinner cos we always have beef.

Bigwuss Sun 09-Dec-12 11:15:20

We had one last year, the kids loved it as it was a bit different.

whateveritakes Sun 09-Dec-12 11:33:00

We had it last year and if you think stuffing birds is disrespectful let me assure you these are so removed from any sort if bird it wouldn't matter.
It tastes like cheap stuffing (think cheap pre packed chicken and stuffing sandwich) and the meat is processed to death. Wasn't anything like I'd thought it would be (ie nice).

If you want quick and no fuss why not get Quail (Waitrose do two for £4 something). Red magazine had a nice suggestion for them last month.They cook in 20 mins and are different. Small birds though so won't be left overs.

nellyjelly Sun 09-Dec-12 11:35:37

Buy a turkey crown from M and S instead. Still turkey but cheaper than the whole thing.

derekthehamster Sun 09-Dec-12 11:40:38

Oh, I have a friend coming over for tea later, so I thought I'd try one of these. Nevermind, i have plenty of veg to go with it if it's horrid grin

ProfYaffle Sun 09-Dec-12 11:45:42

We've had it, I agree with others, it was fine but stuffing dominated and the layers slid apart when we carved it. Personally I don't think it's special enough for Xmas day but cheap and convenient to keep in the freezer for the inbetween Xmas and New Year period when you want a bit of a break from faffing in the kitchen.

JakeBullet Sun 09-Dec-12 11:45:55

Right....you've all talked me out of itgrin .

Will get Turkey Crown from somewhere and use this another time. I always make my own stuffing so can be a plain turkey crown.

yeah I agree it's not exactly one bird shoved in anothergrin

BendyBobsBrusselsSprouts Sun 09-Dec-12 11:53:51

I always get a turkey crown. There are quite a few of us so I get a large one, but I just want it for Christmas dinner and a little cold for later, no more than that and everyone gets breast meat.

I'm deeply suspicious of whole turkeys being eaten over the course of days and days in leftovers. Sounds like the road to a stomach upset to me.

The four bird roast - hmm I'd like to try it but not for the first time for Christmas dinner. Too much riding on it and I wouldn't risk it.

They always remiind me of that old song 'there was an old woman who swallowed...' all those things to catch each other confused

Wow, I'd heard of the three-bird roast but am very excited to hear there's a four- bird roast! It's like razors, where they keep adding an extra blade grin

<holds out for five bird roast>

ceeveebee Sun 09-Dec-12 12:12:35
nkf Sun 09-Dec-12 12:15:10

I find the idea of three or more bird roast a bit weird. I don't know why. I can see it's not so very different to stuffing inside poultry but don't the meats just sort of cancel each other out?

BendyBobsBrusselsSprouts Sun 09-Dec-12 12:16:31

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall made one with ten once. I remember seeing the programme and boggling at the logistics of it.

RooneyMara Sun 09-Dec-12 12:24:56

I would have thought it harder work than just a bird?

I mean it's not hollow so will probably take a good while to figure out if it's cooked all the way through or not iyswim?

I'm a useless cook and even I find a roasted chicken not too tricky...but I'd be downright scared of a huge lump of stuff like that!

RooneyMara Sun 09-Dec-12 12:26:55

Yes NKF I think that's it, it's not like meat with stuffing, or meat with something else, it's meat with, erm, more meat, and they are all going to get lost in each other.

TimeyWimeyStuff Sun 09-Dec-12 12:33:48

We had an amazing three bird roast from a local farm shop last year. Always a winner with me!

Snog Sun 09-Dec-12 15:52:46

WE are getting the Adlington 3 bird roast from ocado this year - goose, chicken and pheasant
I'm pretty excited about it and i hope its tasty as its certainly £££!

JakeBullet Sun 09-Dec-12 16:55:46

Just been looking at the price of turkey crowns shockshockshock

Might just stick with the Aldi thing and toast to a more successful 2013 financially.

Hah! It's been a revelation being on benefits....don't think I ever considered how expensive stuff was at Xmas before grin.

Ho hum!

serin Sun 09-Dec-12 19:39:39

We bought the Aldi one a couple of christmases ago when it was the 3 bird Turducken (turkey, duck, chicken!)

Seriously, it ruined christmas dinner.

I am not a fussy eater and do the weekly shop in Aldi but honestly the thing was beyond vile.

The kids still tease me about it.

Eat it now if you must but dont let it spoil your christmas dinner!

You could always try a Lidl goose - they're £19.99 and really good - this'll be my third year of having one - I do it á la Gordon Ramsay with a citrus and 5 spice rub, and red wine and date sauce (Googole will find recipes for both). Seriously tasty, plenty of meat - would probably feed 6 at a pinch, but actually feeds 2, plus scraps for dogs, and some left over for a salad on Boxing Day, when we also have some cold turkey from a (Lidl, £9.99) turkey crown, plus home baked ham (butchers, dunno how much it'll cost yet).

Hassled Sun 09-Dec-12 19:50:57

Agree the Aldi one is bloody vile. It tastes like school dinners smell.

Hassled Sun 09-Dec-12 19:52:32

If you're skint, buy a chicken. A good roast chicken is a fine meal - it will be much nicer than that Aldi shiteness.

SpeckleDust Sun 09-Dec-12 20:05:33

Aldi sell fresh and frozen turkey crowns in the lead up to Christmas. The fresh ones are still a bit pricey, but the frozen crowns are only £9.99. I got a fresh one a couple of years ago and it was very good (with very little waste).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now