I can't be the only person struggling to buy secret Santa gifts. So lets form a drop in help desk

(134 Posts)
Arisbottle Sat 08-Dec-12 18:12:03

My secret Santa gift receiver is a man which immediately makes it hard for me.

We are supposed to spend about £10 and buy four small gifts any ideas

He is in his 50s and spends all his time doing sport

Kelly281 Mon 10-Dec-12 19:32:40

I'm beginning to panic about my SS this year. We had to buy 'a mug for a mug', limit around £5. We were all buying these from Amazon at lunchtime, and my colleagues convinced me this monstrosity was excellent for my SS.

I'm now fretting that the lady will be completely offended! It looks awful blush. Would you be mortified opening this? Everyone else will be opening similarly 'humorous' mugs....

Please, please tell me that you are joking.

reastie Mon 10-Dec-12 19:47:07

Thanks Kelly now next time DH goes on amazon he'll see that in my recently viewed things the shove pictures up of and wonder what on earth I've been thinking wink

scottishmummy Mon 10-Dec-12 20:17:26

Kelly that mug is really vile.I simply couldn't give that to someone

Kelly281 Mon 10-Dec-12 20:20:42

I know, it really is! I would absolutely never have bought that of my own accord, my initial thought was Cath Kidston or Disney! I was caught up the hilarity of it all, I'm afraid.

I really don't think I could watch her open that, but what on earth do I do with it now? I don't want to keep it either! confused

carlywurly Mon 10-Dec-12 20:34:28

I have just bought my bah humbug recipient (who made it clear he just wanted the cash) 4 tins of half price Pringles from Tesco. I've gift wrapped them in a presentation box.
For him, food is the next best thing to cash, so I reckon I'm on to a winner grin

detoxdiva Mon 10-Dec-12 20:38:28

Agh help. I've been in my new job 6 days. I've met the girl I'm buying for once. Now that's a challenge grin

gail734 Mon 10-Dec-12 20:51:30

Can't believe there's actually a support thread for this. Every year, my husband's Secret Santa stress just about gives him a nervous breakdown. He's an anxious person and is convinced that everyone finds out who their "Santa" is and judges them brutally. He's dead paranoid so if I suggest, say, chocolates, he'll say "No, she's a bit tubby. She'll think I'm saying she's fat." Some nice bubble bath? Bath products? I might as well just tell her she smells, or that I'm the office perv and think about her in the bath! Bottle of wine = alcoholic and so on!

Catmint Mon 10-Dec-12 21:42:25

We did home made secret santa gifts, budget up to £5. Lots of lovely cookies, jams, christmas decorations etc...it was so exciting!

TeamSledward Mon 10-Dec-12 21:53:21

I got a plaket of Ann Summers white chocolate sperm in my Secret Santa sad

Chottie Mon 10-Dec-12 21:58:50

Kelly, please don't give that mug, it's just gross.

There are loads of cheap mugs in TKMax. I had to buy a SS and I bought a pretty china mug and put a Christmas tree decoration and a Santa chocolate inside.

lilibet Mon 10-Dec-12 22:05:09

Is this morally wrong?

My secret santa is a £5 budget and I have drawn a lovely woman at work who has recently become a gran. I have looked up her daughter on facebook and sent a message asking for a photo of her ds to put on a mug. The daughter knows me by sight from when she has been in work with the baby so we could all admire.

She hasn't replied to me but her status is open, would it be wrong to copy a photo from there without asking?

It would, wouldn't it?

TiaMariaandEggnog Mon 10-Dec-12 22:28:03

I wouldn't lilibet it's a really lovely idea, but if the daughter doesn't give permission I would try to think of something else

BonzoDooDah Mon 10-Dec-12 23:26:23

parsnipcake for baby to give DD -how about the ingredients to make a gingerbread house?
Recipe for gingerbread was on here somewhere, can buy icing, and loads and loads of different kinds of sweeties to decorate it with.
Then if you need to make something you can part make the house with the "help" of baby to giver DD a "kit" - walls and roof etc ready made - she just needs to assemble it with icing or something then decorate the walls - you can buy tubes of different coloured icing for about a quid in sainsb's etc.

WhenAChildIsBawnTigga Tue 11-Dec-12 09:06:39

I wrote a blog about bad/good depending on your pov gifts here - might give you some ideas.

shameless blog link

I hasten to add I have nothing to do with any of the companies link to and encourage you to price check before purchasing any of them should you be 'tempted' to buy!

ShamelessBlogPluggingTiggaxx

zenaprincesswarrior Tue 11-Dec-12 10:34:37

Try this page for stocking fillers / secret santa ideas, has quite a few random gadgets and gizmo's - there's a chilli shaped bottle stopper from john lewis for £6?!

Hobbitation Tue 11-Dec-12 10:56:45

Ours was £10 - among friends not work people. I bought some M&S earmuffs for £9.50, they are quite fun but very wearable.

Madmog Tue 11-Dec-12 11:13:26

What a pain, having to get four gifts - Secret Santa is hard enough anyway. Maybe go with some of the suggestions here. Perhaps, buy a bottle beer or small one of wine, asprin can be the fun jokey gift to follow it. My Man would like the suggestion of four bottles of the alcoholic stuff.

I've got a £5 secret santa for a lady. I know she loves a bath so got her some nice bubble bath on offer and was going to get her some chocolate to make it up, but I've found out she doesn't like chocolate. Need to think of something else for £3 quick.

Madmog Tue 11-Dec-12 11:42:07

Kelly281, sat here with the flu and have to say you've lightened my spirits and I've had a good laugh at the mug. Not knowing the recipient it's hard to know how she will take it - I know just the man at work who would love it though.

MRSJWRTWR Tue 11-Dec-12 12:26:20

Help for DS1 (13) please. He has drawn the prettiest, most popular girl in the class. £5 and I have to meet him in town after school to get it (has to be handed in tomorrow). I am (he is) quite anxious to get it right.

owlface Tue 11-Dec-12 13:19:13

Lip gloss for the 13yo girl? Could also go round the beauty counters and get some perfume samples etc to make a little package.

Goldenjubilee10 Tue 11-Dec-12 13:21:50

Madmog I'm sitting here recovering from a stomach bug so can sympathise. How about a small bottle of wine to make it up.

MRS my teenage ds's are 17 and 15 so a little bit older but swear by anything from lush. They get something from there for every birthday, Christmas, or other party they are invited to.

My best buy has been book lights from m&s. ds3 (6) has one and sits for hours reading with it whether it's dark or not. They were £4 each and 3 for the price of 2.

TinTinsSexySister Tue 11-Dec-12 13:55:33

I've a £40 year-old single woman to buy for.

She likes going out and having a good time and is quite girly I'd say. She's quite secretive about her age and acts a lot younger (not in a bad way!).

Eeeek!

TinTinsSexySister Tue 11-Dec-12 14:22:29

£40??????

Just 40-years-old.

It's a £10 limit and it needs to be funny rather than nice, 'cos that's the sort of office I work in...

Madmog Tue 11-Dec-12 14:51:23

MRSJWRTWR, I have a daughter and so I'd say the suggestions of Lush (bath bombs) or lip gloss are ones - and what girl doesn't like chocolate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now