What colours have you decorated your trees?

(50 Posts)
LiquidLunch Fri 07-Dec-12 14:30:38

We have two trees.

Both up and bare hmm

Have lots of decorations.

Have gold, silver, red, green, blue, pink and purple decorations. A few black and bronze too.

What do you all have on your trees? Inspiration required grin

brighthair Fri 07-Dec-12 18:09:03

Teal and gold with lots of lights

oldraver Fri 07-Dec-12 18:58:00

I stick mostly to red, gold and green, though if the odd multi coloured one sneaks in I'm not bothered. I have a lot of pressed brass type ones that are very inticate and lots of bells so the tree tinkles if its nudged.

I also have some very lovely (to me) china ornaments they were quite pricey so i dont like to change the tree

FirstTimeForEverything Fri 07-Dec-12 19:05:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gazzalw Fri 07-Dec-12 19:07:35

well ours is gold with a bit of blue but DW was saying that it's a bit passe.....but she has spent years (and a lot of money) accumulating all the wonderful decorations and it would take another twenty years to change the look and colour scheme....

wfrances Fri 07-Dec-12 21:10:55

tree 1
whites,natural,browns
tree 2
red and cream
tree 3
clear glass
kids trees - anything /everything

dementedma Fri 07-Dec-12 21:16:47

Multi coloured, silver tinsel, and decorations which all relate to a certain place or time. A dancing frog,a Russian angel, a handmade teddy,a silver moon and a very special tin Chinaman which is over 50 years old.

LiquidLunch Fri 07-Dec-12 22:18:25

Well, done tree 1 and its silver, pinks, purples, blues and greens.

Got some gorgeous birds, leaves, butterflies, hand decorated glass baubles, bows etc

Tree 2 is going to be red and gold. A job for tomorrow.

I'm surprised how many people don't have a colour theme.

Loving my multi jewel looking tree.

Thanks mnrs!

Are themed trees not, well, a bit pricey? I mean, you must change the theme regularly? That can't be cheap.

Mine has decorations from the past 16 years (since I've had my own house) and I add a few new ones every year.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Fri 07-Dec-12 22:55:54

I do red and gold every year, it wasn't a concious decision I just seem to like the red and gold decorations and that's what I buy, there are a couple of multi-coloured decs on the tree, I think in my mind red, gold, silver and green are christmassy colours.

FirstTimeForEverything Fri 07-Dec-12 23:23:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fanoftheinvisiblebigredman Fri 07-Dec-12 23:38:06

Gold and silver.

It has always been red and gold but we have painted our living room duck egg blue this year and I couldn't bear the thought of adding red.

2kidsintow Sat 08-Dec-12 00:04:47

Last year I bought some lovely baubles in pinks and purples. I was going to be putting those up.
Then, I kind of lost the will to carry on once I'd managed to get the white lights on, that the kids took over. DD2 (whose own tree is a riot of colour and tackiness) decided that only red and gold was allowed on the tree this year.

It is lacking in something. We've not bothered with tinsel and I don't think it is that, but something is missing. Will ponder further...

oldraver Sat 08-Dec-12 00:52:07

I dont know about themed trees being expensive....but I agree with gazzalw....I've collected things over the years and as they have cost a lot I dont really want to replace them. If you go for plain baubles I would think it wouldn't cost as much to change your theme

and as I've seen that some of my china decorations have seriously gone up in price I will be sticking with them and getting my moneys worth

My tree is silver white and teal blue smile it has loads of lights and then some special decs my DD and I have chosen over the years...they not match but the tree is bare without them! We have no tinsel but lots of silver beads smile

There is a pic on my profile smile

steppemum Sat 08-Dec-12 01:17:56

I don't change decorations every year, instead I add a couple to the collection so all our decorations have memories and associations. Some of them I have had for 20 years, as we put them up I bore tell the kids where they came from. They also have their own decorations, some hideous ones that they have made.
I do stick to my colour theme as we add them though.

The tree ones are all red, green and gold. Sorry, I can't bear pink and purple at christmas. I like silver too, so I have started to put all the silver and white in the dining room

Marne Sat 08-Dec-12 12:56:16

We have gone with red and white (white tree with red and white dec's), huge red paper balls on the celing and white pom poms, huge snow flakes in the windows and red and white paper chains on the walls smile.

Last year we had traditional greens and reds.

In our bedroom we have a little tree with soft white lights and cream & glass decorations.
The sitting room is elf-vomit with flashing coloured lights, poinsettia, tasseled decorations...you name it, it's there

I have a 'theme' tree. Red ribbons, little red wooden decorations, white lights and a nice wooden star on the top - no tinsel. It looked like a shop display tree for about two days until the dog knocked it over angrygrin

twinklesparkles Sat 08-Dec-12 15:23:39

Mines a mixture, mostly gold baubles and a few pieces of dark pink/red tinsel
Silver snowflakes
Candy canes
And a few glass bits
smile

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sat 08-Dec-12 15:30:36

all of 'em, complete with <whispers> coloured lights
Christmas is kitsch per se
I always think a tasteful tree looks a little joyless

steppemum Sun 09-Dec-12 21:10:55

we put our tree up this afternoon and it looks luverly grin

But I have a question, as we put ours up, there are just loads of stuff we have collected. Dh and I have been married for 13 years, and we have acquired some, kids have some etc etc. Our kids get given one each each christmas, they have their names and dates on. A big part of dressing the tree is them unpacking all their decorations and putting them on. I have ones I've been given, and ones we bought when living in certain places that we brought hame with us.

So if you have a white and silver tree (for example) did you buy all the decorations at once? Do you not have any personal ones? What do you do with stuff your dcs make? Are we odd in not having a matching tree? Everything on our tree does fit a vague red, gold, green theme, but that is about it

MummyPig24 Mon 10-Dec-12 07:03:02

A few years ago we got an artificial tree and some silver decorations. This year we have a real tree and have used white lights and most of the silver decorations, silver tinsel and things the kids have made. Plus a few red bits. Will continue to add to our collection over the years but right now its mostly silver.

Black tree with white lights, no tinsel and I then have white, silver and black baubles, sparkly white polar bears, black glass stars, silver icicles, black and silver glittery mini presents, silver wicker stars, and a few large, glittery white 'super stars'.
It is a thing of beauty and DD kindly finished it off by bringing home the enormous snow covered pine cone dipped in multicoloured glitter she made at school and put it under the tree grin

HullyEastergully Mon 10-Dec-12 09:37:58

We leave ours completely bare, it is thickly green and beautiful as nature intended. It is surprisingly effective.

LadyMargolotta Mon 10-Dec-12 09:41:01

We have a small real tree this year (tiny). There are only five white/silver baubles on it - a bird, owl, wolf, hare and a baby hedgehog. And green and white lights. Silver tinsels is decorating the base.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now