What to buy for fussy FIL?

(9 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Sat 08-Dec-12 08:17:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Loulousmummy Fri 07-Dec-12 16:54:44

I bloody love MN! I was totally stumped and you lot have came up with some great ideas I will shamelessly share your ideas with OH and BIL and pass them off as mine

For Christmas he will be having an mp3 player from us, I will smuggle some cds out next time we visit, he has so much he wouldn't notice anyway!

Really like the idea of something to do on holiday, will speak to MIL, and I'm looking into getting a document holder that can be personalised from dd.

And I will speak to BIL about something for the garden. We can maybe do something joint.

Thanks so much smile

Katienana Fri 07-Dec-12 14:32:16

Tickets to a test match in the summer? We bought my grandad a barometer once which he loved. Does he have a garden? What about a bench, birdhouse our water feature?

dontmixthecolours Fri 07-Dec-12 14:24:52

My FIL is similar. The only thing he's ever liked/used that we bought were vouchers for a local concert venue. That way he can choose what he wants to go and see and when. Good luck!

girlywhirly Fri 07-Dec-12 14:21:24

Could you get matinee tickets or evening ones for a midweek theatre performance, or something holiday or travel related. Something to wear or do on holiday, or new hand luggage, travel document wallet for his health/ insurance docs, smart new wash bag etc.

C4ro Fri 07-Dec-12 13:40:11

Subscription to The Oldie is just under 40 GBP and can just renew each year (or some other magazine). A collection of Giles cartoons?

BiddyPop Fri 07-Dec-12 13:35:06

MP3 or iPod with all those scottish CDs uploaded to enjoy during dialysis?

wednesdaygirl Fri 07-Dec-12 13:33:00

Pay for a paper to be delived every week or a mag

Mp3 player and put music on for him

Loulousmummy Fri 07-Dec-12 13:28:31

I can't put it off any longer, I need to get something sorted for FIL's Christmas. He's almost 70 (Start of January actually so need something for that too!) He's on dialysis 3 days a week for 6 hours so I thought maybe something to keep him amused during that time?

He can't drink alcohol and has quite a limited diet due to dialysis and being a meat and two veg man and would never try anything new He can drive but isn't really that mobile, doesn't play golf. He likes cricket. He likes Scottish music but has every cd/dvd going related to that. PIL's have plenty money, having several holidays abroad a year so a little uk trip is a no no. A voucher for somewhere nice to eat is out as he's so fussy and only eats in his local pub.

His dialysis is on a Saturday evening which limits a show or something not that I can find anything he'd like anyway

So any thoughts for Christmas, and a 70th birthday 2 weeks after? OH is no help at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now