At what age do you start letters to Santa?

(8 Posts)
TheElfOnThePanopticon Wed 05-Dec-12 20:04:06

DD is 6 and hasn't shown any interest yet.

Doitnicelyplease Wed 05-Dec-12 18:31:50

I did one with DD1 who is 4 and a bit for the first time this year. It was more just a Christmassy activity. She only wants one thing (a game) so we put that on there and a request for some sweeties. We also had to do one for DD2 (only 5 months!) as DD1 said she need one too. We decorated with nice stickers and drawings and sent them to the North Pole.

The country we are in does a reply from Santa so hoping to see that in the next week and very interested to see DD1's reaction!

Ds is 3.6 and he's written his letter. He knows exactly what he wants ( a talking Jessie and lego) so I spelled it out for him and he wrote the letters. I don't mind as I'd never have thought to get him a Jessie ( he hit buzz and woody last year) and he hasn't asked for much smile

fuzzpig Wed 05-Dec-12 15:18:39

Mine haven't yet. DD is 5 (a young yr1). I think really I should've got her to write one this year, but we got her presents very early, and told her that FC brings surprises as he knows what she will love to play with. I do keep an eye on what she talks about and looks at, but at the moment anything she asks for would be based on seeing it once in an advert.

DS is 3 and has severe speech delay, and has absolutely no concept of 'asking for stuff'. Eg if we go in a shop he plays with the toys that are out, but unlike DD he's never said 'can I have one', or thrown a strop etc. On his birthday he shared out all his wrapped presents before realising they were all his, bless him grin I know he'll be over the moon with what we have chosen him.

TBH in a way I'm reluctant to encourage any 'asking for plastic crap' as you put it! But I think DD especially will want to next year. And as DS will be in reception (though only just turning 4 in August) and might be having a go at writing, I think it'll be a good time to start them both off.

I really want to emphasise that it's a 'wish' list and not a list of demands though!

DewDr0p Wed 05-Dec-12 13:39:44

I think we started it at about 4 IIRC?

Top tip: encourage them to think of one thing they want more than anything and just ask for that grin Makes them far more selective about what they choose. I take no credit for this, I think the dc got the idea from nursery or school but it works a treat.

belindarose Wed 05-Dec-12 13:37:24

I mentioned it to DD who is 3.3. She looked at me disdainfully and said 'but mummy, I can't write yet. I'll do it next year'. So that's one job less!

gemdrop84 Wed 05-Dec-12 11:34:33

DD has just turned 4 and we have done a letter to santa this year. I wasn't sure how to do it as she can only write her name so we ended up going through a couple of catalogues, I told her to think of what toys/things she likes so santa gets an idea of what she may like and can bring her a nice surprise! We then cut out pictures of toys/things from the catalogues which she glued on some paper, then added glitter, stickers etc. She understands she won't receive everything on there. Last year she didn't write a letter but she did meet santa although she went very shy and didn't ask for anything!

FireOverBethlehem Wed 05-Dec-12 10:59:09

Ds is 3 and this is the first Christmas that he's really been aware of Christmas in the run up so is getting more excited - he's doing displays and singing carols at nursery and helped us to put the tree up etc.

Nursery offer all their children the chance to send a letter to Father Christmas, and I've just received a flier for a local victorian Christmas market thing where you pay £6 for DS to see Santa and receive a gift from him.

DS atm has no idea that he can ask Father Christmas for specific presents and as we've already bought for him we're not sure that he needs to know this yet. I thought about writing a letter to Santa with him, to post at nursery, asking for presents and nice food and time with his grandparents and christmas music etc but DS wasn't interested. I can understand children with older siblings being into letters to Santa at 3, because they see a 6 year old doing the same, but if you have an only, or oldest child, at what age did you start doing the seeing / writing to Santa thing?

I'm not sure whether DS is missing out on a nice element of Christmas or if I'm holding back the monster of "I want X plastic crap for Christmas". DS doesn't watch TV with adverts, only Postman Pat CBeebies, so it's not like he's seen a lot of toys that might interest him.

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now