Sylvanian Families - is 10 too old and any bargains?

(40 Posts)
CambridgeBlue Mon 03-Dec-12 07:32:59

DD has asked for Sylvanian Families for Xmas, I know she enjoys playing with her friend's (but she has loads as she's been into it for ages whereas DD would only have a few things to start with) but I wondered if 10 was too old to start collecting it, especially bearing in mind how pricey it is. I don't mind too much especially if I can get a good deal as I know it has good Ebay value but I wondered if other girls this age and older still play with these sort of toys?

Aftereightsaremine Tue 04-Dec-12 05:24:00

Dd is 10 & loves her sf & she's getting more for Christmas. I had thought last year that would be it but she still really enjoys playing with it all. Also dniece who is 19 still comes over & loves playing sf on her own! So I'd say go for it. You can always sell it once she outgrows it.

Dancergirl Tue 04-Dec-12 10:30:30

Does anyone have any good recommendations for SF? I want to buy dd2 1 SF this year. She already has a couple of houses, the school, hospital and bus and quite a few families. Up to around 35 pounds what should I go for?

beingagoodmumishard Tue 04-Dec-12 12:06:59

dancergirl the car and caravan set is a favourite in our house. If you shop around you can usually get a good deal for the 2 or just buy the caravan separately. The caravan comes with many little features which I am sure your DD will love.

For some reason if you buy the set with the burgundy colour car it is much cheaper than the other colour cars. I know it is slightly more than you said but I think Amazon is offering the 2 for £39

schilke Tue 04-Dec-12 12:37:15

I got this for dd1 (nearly 9 and loves SF). It seemed like quite a bargain.

Dancergirl Tue 04-Dec-12 13:59:02

That's a really good price for the burgundy car and caravan beingagood. Do you know if they're boxed together or separately?

beingagoodmumishard Tue 04-Dec-12 14:22:13
boredtotears Tue 04-Dec-12 14:29:45

Yes, agree, Let her have the sf - avoid the growing up bit for a while longer! Our 6yr old dd has asked for octonauts and hubby said that she is to old to be playing with them, but I have gone & spent a lot of his wages (ha ha) on quite a few character sets for her. She also has nail varnish & watercolour painting stuff, but even with some 'grown up stuff' thrown in, they are still children at 10yrs old. The high school stuff will come soon enough!

PolkadotCircus Tue 04-Dec-12 16:32:14

Amazon has the log cabin ski doo and cosy cabin furniture sets all reduced.Have bought them for my 3 to share(9,9 and 8) along with some fake snow-we're goin ski-ing Xmas morning(ok not really but one can dream).

Personally I'm lovin the retro green radio and tartan throw in said cosy cabin set,oh to be the size of a Sylvanian hamster(who also may be joining in the Polka family skifest Xmas morning). <wistful>

boltygirl Mon 10-Dec-12 00:52:40

hi there...sorry to gatecrash this thread but was wondering if anybody might be interested in purchasing a large assortment of SF houses , furniture , and figures in excellent condition and nearly all in original boxes ? my daughter , Holly , is 13 soon and has outgrown them .

ChippingInAWinterWonderland Mon 10-Dec-12 01:00:32

I'm sure someone will Bolty smile

I like the stuff they have, but hate animals dressed up - I need to find some little dolls the right size!!

The log cabin sounds lovely!! Off to do a google

ChippingInAWinterWonderland Mon 10-Dec-12 01:10:33

I want to be 8 again!!! There are some very cute sets aren't there - but what a price - you'd definitely want to be buying them when they were heavily discounted! £45 for the empty cabin?? It wouldn't even be so bad if it came with the furniture - but empty??

sum04 Mon 10-Dec-12 06:19:17

Boltygirl- soundwave promising smile How much are you looking for and are you able to send me some pics?x

sum04 Mon 10-Dec-12 06:21:48

Sounds *

Frostyfoxy Mon 10-Dec-12 22:55:06

Beinggood - I've bought my ds his first items for Christmas this year so am hoping he will enjoy playing with it too! He's got the cafe, the icecream van and some characters. He had asd and enjoys acting out scenes with his lego men but mostly he is obsessed with cars so I am hoping this will move him away from matchbox slightly and give him another avenue to explore...... fingers crossed!! grin

thegreylady Tue 11-Dec-12 09:23:52

I am 68 and own ( bought by/for me ) a Sylvanian canal boat, a car and caravan and a gypsy caravan. I rearrange them and have them on display-all my dgc except for dgs aged 15 play with them. That includes dgds aged 9,12 and 13 :-)
I also have a dolls house and a large Brio railway. I am not mad...honestly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now