Anyone up for a Greedy Coeliacs' Xmas Thread?

(56 Posts)
SpringHeeledJack Sun 02-Dec-12 21:03:39

just that, really

am just over a stomach bug and spent two hours shoving my way thro Sainsbos ^on my own^- these two factors combined have made me obSESSed with Christmas Food

anyone got any recipe ideas, link em on here

and also feel free to RANT about the plethora of fucking pastry snack ads- TOWERS of pastry snacks- gah!- yeah, you, MandSWaitroseIcefuckinglandSainsburys etc etc

sorry to post and dash- off to watch Homeland

Will bump tomorrow

<gives secret wheat free salute to all>

MoreBeta Tue 04-Dec-12 18:32:45

I used a standard chocolate sponge recipe but with with GF Doves farm flour instead of normal flour.

I fold in extra whipped egg white and some extra baking powder to make it really light. I avoid Xanthan Gum if at all possible as it makes cakes heavy and sticky and pastry hard as a brick.

MistyB Tue 04-Dec-12 19:46:59

MoreBeta which Doves Farm flour do you use for pasty? the plain or the white bread?

sittinginthesun Tue 04-Dec-12 19:52:45

Marking my place. Haven't actually made my cake yet, but my mince pies usually work well.

Half my family are GF, so I'm buying GF beer, biscuits and chocs as presents this year.

We always get sausages, stuffings etc at M & S as they are mostly GF.

MoreBeta Tue 04-Dec-12 21:46:45

I use this Doves farm GF plain flour.

SpringHeeledJack Tue 04-Dec-12 21:57:55

MoreBeta- I remember being on a thread with you when I first got my coeliac diagnosis and was all fretty

amongst other Useful Stuff, you linked to a fabulous g/f polenta cake- it's been a staple of mine ever since

you're the GLUTEN FREE DON

grin

MistyB Wed 05-Dec-12 07:05:13

Thank you!!

MoreBeta Wed 05-Dec-12 09:54:42

SpringHeeled - blush

The sad truth is I just looooouuurve cakes and pudding so much I had to find a way to feed my habit after I was diagnosed.

Life is just so much better with cake. grin

SpringHeeledJack Thu 20-Dec-12 21:42:06

digging up thread in case any other GCs have tips they'd like to offer

and to ask- do any of you do Yorkshire puddings? Ever?

if so how do you manage it? I have the yearnings

We are having roast rib of beef with yorkshires on christmas day this year and our 7 yr old DS is coeliac so the yorkshires will be GF.

I've made them several times before and they've been fabulous - I will dig out recipe tomorrow and put it on here. They were tasty, soft inside, crunchy out and puffed up wonderfully. After years of no yorkshires as we didn't feel it was fair on DS2 our yearning was satisfied!

SpringHeeledJack Fri 21-Dec-12 11:21:18

you STAR

if you don't find the time to link, don't worry- I'll do em for New Year

<dribbles slightly>

Heavymetalmater Fri 21-Dec-12 18:56:59

Delia smiths sticky chocolate log is flourless and is yummy.

Recipe for GF Yorkshire puddings - makes 12

50g doves farm plain flour
50g cornflour
3 eggs
140ml milk (or I use rice dream so they're dairy free)
Pinch salt

Mix well, rest in fridge for half hour
Heat fat in tin (I use small dot of goose fat for each but otherwise sure butter or oil be fine) pour mixture in, half hour in hot oven 200 in our fan though thinking of turning down slightly as bit burnt last time

What do GF people dredge their parboiled potatoes in before roasting? If anything? I was reading nigella law sons Christmas book and her suggestion is to parboil pots in morning, dredge them in semolina and leave in pan till ready few hours later, to tip into hot fat and roast.

I'm wondering if leaving them drained but not dredged in anything would work as well when doing them few hours in advance. Would be quite handy to get the parboiling/draining bit out the way.

CMOTDibbler Sat 22-Dec-12 20:59:53

I did yorkies this evening - 120g doves farm SR flour, 200ml semi milk, 2 eggs, salt and pepper. Secret is to bung in the mixer and mix the hell out of it. I use rapeseed oil as it heats so well.
They were gorgeous.

I don't dredge potatoes - but you could use DF plain flour I guess. But really rough up the potatoes and they'd be fine

MoreBeta Sat 22-Dec-12 21:08:45

Really interested to see people doing Yorkshire puds with Gluten Free flour - but does this have Xanthan Gum premixed in it to make them stay risen?

I do gluten free Choux pastry for profiteroles, etc but it always flops after rising nicely. Still tastes great but I want a gluten free choux pastry recipe that stays crisp and risen without Xanthan Gum. Does anyone have such a recipe?

CMOTDibbler Sat 22-Dec-12 21:23:54

The DF SR flour has Xanthan gum in it.

I haven't done gf eclairs, but intend to so on Monday. All the recipes I've seen use xanthan, though I guess you could try psyllium husk

MoreBeta Sat 22-Dec-12 21:49:36

I think I might try with Xanthan Gum. I dont like using it but needs must.

Psyllium I presume is availabe in health food shops? Its a bowel cleanser isnt it? Does it give you the runs?

CMOTDibbler Sat 22-Dec-12 21:54:52

I haven't used it - but its a very hyrophillic substance that makes a matrix apparently.

Am now thinking about Baileys eclairs...

CMOT - I'm going to try your recipe for yorkshires this lunchtime. Might not go with the ham and red cabbage we're having and seemssilly to be having a practice run so close to Christmas day, but if I can better them I would love to!

Will update later. It is quite a different recipe from mine so worth comparing them. Tks

I use same recipe as mintchoc and always works fine for me (don't have fan oven though)

notapizzaeater Sun 23-Dec-12 21:44:06

Easy yorkshires - 90gcornflour, 4 eggs, milk to double cream consistency - whisk together cook 180/190 for about 15/20 mins - never fail to rise....

I made a baked mincemeat cheesecake last night for us all to eat tomorrow :-)

I have made the following GF goodies this Christmas:

Mince pies
Rocky road (I managed to find GF amaretti biscuits)
Christmas pudding
Christmas cake
Trifle sponges- took three attempts but have come up with really good approximation of the lady fingers you can buy- bodes well for Tiramisu also! Will post recipe if anyone is interested, they were very easy.
Mini quiches
Also made puff pastry today, although haven't yet made it into its intended cheese straws and sausage rolls so will report back on that one tomorrow! Took bloody hours to make, so it had better be good!

I didn't do a trial run of CMOTs Yorkshire recipe as I had too many things to do and a party to go to before a Carol service. I'll just go for the usual recipe.

Tomorrow is our main GF cooking day - DH is making GF cheese straws with potato starch in a new recipe, GF blinis for smoked salmon and I'm making GF gingerbread for after church on christmas morning with coffees before we get started on the wine and nibbles!

Sometimes seems funny that in a family of 4, with 5 more close family coming for Christmas day, everything we eat is GF despite only 1 of us being coeliac, and that 1 being the youngest member of the family at 7yrs old! Funny the dominance it has and noone mentions it, everyone assumes everything needs to be GF and if they make things to bring, I know they'll be GF or they won't bring it. I'm glad, it must be tough if family question it or make mistakes.

I'm making GF blinis too tomorrow mintchoc- its a new recipe though, have you a tried and tested one?

No sorry it's not tried and tested, tomorrow is our first time. The recipe uses buckwheat flour which is also new to us so not sure how it will go. Our main problem with GF cooking seems to be that most things we make has a short shelf life and is best the day it's made.

So we've been considering doing the blinis on Christmas day but decided that would be too stressful so one day ahead should be ok.

Do you find that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now