I never ever though I would say this but.... I NEED A FAKE XMAS TREE

(42 Posts)
curlypoo Sun 02-Dec-12 17:34:04

I have ALWAYS been a real tree girl but now, 5 children in with new lovely floors and too hot heating I must concede defeat and go the route of faux.... Please ladies, do make a recommendation of a tree that is lovely.

culturemulcher Sun 02-Dec-12 19:29:28

NO YOU DON'T.

Step away from the fakery. They're fine in department stores, hotels and offices. At home they're just horrible

Phew. I feel better for getting that off my chest.

As you were.

BobbyMcGee Sun 02-Dec-12 19:42:57

We had one from homebase for a few years. Big bushy 6 foot tall one already pre-lit (it actually had decs with it too but we chuckle those for our own). Think we paid £100 but it lasted us 5 years and has now gone to my mum so still going strong.

It was lovely and once filled with wooden/homemade decs and cinnamon/orange sticks it looked and smelled wondeful.

curlypoo Sat 08-Dec-12 14:40:42

eeew no luck as yet...

anyone else got any pointers for a fake tree virgin?

katcatkat Sat 08-Dec-12 15:16:02

http://www.diy.com/nav/christmas/artificial-trees/B-and-Q-Eiger-Christmas-Tree-7-6-228cm-12498710

We have this one its large but good easy to assemble not easy to pull over and we like it.
It has a mixture of textures for the tips which stop it looking so plain.

IslaValargeone Sat 08-Dec-12 15:19:02

Don't do it, Don't be practical,
Christmas is no time to be practical! We did fake once, I couldn't cope, it wasn't the same. I missed the smell and everything.

Primrose123 Sat 08-Dec-12 15:23:17

We always had a real tree, but have high ceilings and had to buy an 8ft tree for the living room. It was getting so expensive that we admitted defeat last year and looked for an artificial one. 8ft fake trees are about £200!!!

I found one in the sale on Amazon (before Christmas) for £99 and bought it. It was wonderful. I'll try to find a link if they still have one.

I do miss the smell of a real tree though. I might get a little one to go on a table somewhere.

KatherinaMinola Sat 08-Dec-12 15:30:09

I bought this one last year. Everyone thought it was real - obviously the base was covered with presents.

Reviews for this year not so good though so maybe worth checking out instore. They do a 6' one in the same vein.

Primrose123 Sat 08-Dec-12 15:30:42

This is the one I bought and am very pleased with it. It's not available any more, but they have a 6ft one if that's any good.

girlywhirly Sat 08-Dec-12 16:06:13

I'm with piprabbit. The National Tree Company are American and they do really good quality trees. I have one! There are some garden centres in the UK who stock them, and also who will deliver an internet order. It's a bit late now as many might be out of stock of the size/type you want.

The trees in M&S and John Lewis are absolute rubbish for the same price imo. I don't know how they have the barefaced cheek to ask the prices they do.

poozlepants Sat 08-Dec-12 16:12:52

We bought our first fake one this year- same as Starjules reommended. B and Q mixed tips, 7ft. It was half price at £45 plus an extra 25% off. It looks great and I was the hater in chief of all fake trees. Last couple of years the real ones have been really rubbish, expensive and wilted by Christmas Day as everyone starts the christmas lark early. On top of that we now have a cat who insists on climbing the tree and gnawing at the branches until he was sick we have had to go fake.

NaokHoHoHo Sat 08-Dec-12 16:26:11

I've no way of getting a real tree home so now that I'm not visiting either my parents or DP's for the first time in my adult life, I had to buy a fake tree yesterday. It made me a bit sad too. However I put it straight up when we got it home and I have to say it looks really nice, even though I'm flat broke and thus bought the cheapest ok-looking one I could lay my hands on. Cost £20 in Tesco (originally £25) and I'm pleased with it smile It's very nice and full actually, I was most concerned about getting a really scrawny looking one so I looked for one where the display tree looked decent. It's display tree D in Tesco.

heidihole Sat 08-Dec-12 17:55:59

I could have written your post. This is my first year with a fake tree for all the reasons you said. I researched a lot on Google and eventually bought a PE tree

Read about it here www.hayesgardenworld.co.uk/article/artificial-pe-christmas-trees

and I bought from that site too. I don't work for them i promise, i'm sure loads of other places sell PE trees but they are the best I think. Mine looks totally real.

curlypoo Sat 08-Dec-12 20:24:27

I just tried again to have a look at trees in b and q and got myself in quite a stroppy tizz about it all. The thing is a real one of the right size is almost £50 without a holder (mine is in France!) - the whole thing is nearly depressing as nanfucker being in the x-factor finals (yes, i need to get out more!)

Thank you for all your suggestions, I am checking them out

CointreauVersial Sat 08-Dec-12 23:36:10

I just realised my Argos January Sale tree (which cost, IIRC, £28 because it was ex-display and missing a box) is about to celebrate its 15th Christmas.

6 foot real trees are about £50 a pop round here - just think of all the extra money I've been able to spend on mince pies and Quality Street every year. grin

betterwhenthesunshines Sun 09-Dec-12 08:41:42

heidi wow - they look good - this one is my favourite

SilverAndSparklyKat Sun 09-Dec-12 10:06:05

Without wishing to lower the tone: fuck practical, it's Christmas! Go and get a nordmann that doesn't drop and enjoy the realness.

pugsandseals Sun 09-Dec-12 11:46:52

Ours came from Snowhill Garden Centre near Crawley. It cost £150, but 12 years on & it's hardly dropped a needle! Beautiful trees, but I'm afraid you have to be there as soon as the display goes up in November to get one- would be all sold out by now. However, I think it would easily last 20 years without looking sorry for itself. We've moved away from this area now & I haven't got a clue where else to get another one from when ours finally dies! Sorry if I offend anyone, but the Tesco, B&Q, John Lewis ones look cheap & tacky by comparison to ours & anyone visiting always makes comment on it!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now