which orchard board games...

(39 Posts)
ThePathanKhansWitch Tue 27-Nov-12 18:53:54

Do your kids have? And which ones would they tell me to buy for a 5 yo?

hushabyehill Tue 27-Nov-12 19:03:32

My 5 year old absolutely loves Post the Most. It's a bit more complex than some of his other games, but easy enough to get the hang of and more entertaining for dh and I. Would definitely recommend it.

YouBrokeMySmoulder Tue 27-Nov-12 19:04:38

Greedy gorilla is good.

cazza2878 Tue 27-Nov-12 19:30:27

Shopping list is a classic.

Slightly more challenging is pop to the shops (learn about counting the right money out to buy things as you go round the board).

BikeRunSki Tue 27-Nov-12 19:33:07

Don't get the fecking ladybird one, it is tedious in the extreme. My 4 yo likes Tummy Ache though.

ThePathanKhansWitch Tue 27-Nov-12 19:38:43

Oh thankyou, better have a look at amazon!.

bluepapermonkey Tue 27-Nov-12 19:40:16

Tummy ache is great, avoid the magic cauldren one - yawn.

EverybodysSnowyEyed Tue 27-Nov-12 19:50:16

Post the most

Dd likes shopping list and spotty dogs. Have bought her pop to the shops for Christmas. The incy wincy spider one is a bit pants so avoid that.

PenfoldRocks Tue 27-Nov-12 19:59:26

Tummy Ache and Crazy Chefs are faves here

TeaOneSugar Tue 27-Nov-12 20:04:55

Shopping List

cazza2878 Tue 27-Nov-12 20:11:45

Post the most sounds good but wondering why its £20 odd on Amazon whereas most other orchard games are in £6-£8 region?

UrbanSpaceManBaby Tue 27-Nov-12 20:13:44

We seem to have lost inchy, winchy spider [think it sneaked in the charity bag]
Haba games are good

Orchard - get them used to playing a game, everyone against the raven, no losers, no tantrums
Cheeky Badger - bit of luck, bit of skill, mercifully quick
Animal upon animal not as popular
Junior monopoly very popular here

ThePathanKhansWitch Tue 27-Nov-12 20:14:04

Thanks for the tip on magic cauldron, i was looking at that, one to avoid then.

cazza2878 Tue 27-Nov-12 20:24:52

I was not a fan of dotty dinasours - fed up of finding all the blinkin pieces all over the house! Too many bits!

NotWilliamBoyd Tue 27-Nov-12 20:26:13

What a Performance

My two, 6 and 8 still like Pop to the Shops, Bus Stop, Shopping List, Greedy Gorillas and Tummy Ache. Most of them I don't mind but Bus Stop I find extremely tedious for some reason.

DS LOVED Wild World Lotto when he was a bit younger, probably about 4. We played it ad infinitum, it still comes out occasionally.

BornToFolk Tue 27-Nov-12 20:31:34

Agree that Bus Stop is tedious and Incy Wincey Spider can go on for bloody ever!

My favourite is the Flower Pot Game as it's quick to play! DS (5) has had Crazy Chefs for a couple of years and still loves playing it.

woopsidaisy Tue 27-Nov-12 22:34:45

We have Shopping list,Ladybirds and Red Dog Blue Dog. All very popular and good fun. Request is in for Incey Wincey Spider, as played in school. DS is 5, but DS1 is 8 and he likes to play them too!

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Tue 27-Nov-12 22:38:52

DS loves the Shopping List, Crazy Chefs and Mix and Match People ones the best. You can get different booster packs for Shopping List, which tends to keep it in the favourite spot.

He also has the traffic one, but doesn't love it, it's just too needlessly complicated!

nelliesmum Tue 27-Nov-12 22:44:10

TUMMY ACHE...

Arkady Tue 27-Nov-12 22:48:48

Bus Stop is grim. Even DS1 didn't like it and he adores Orchard Toys games. We have about 10, and he is desperate for What's the Time Mr Wolf, as they have it at school.
Walk the Plank is popular right now. Prior to that Pop to the Shops was the one true game.
When he was 3 Ten Green Bottles was his favourite. Had a few games at the weekend, and its ok, but wouldn't buy it for a five year old.
I like Doodlebugs, which is a card game, not a boardgame.

SkiBumMum Tue 27-Nov-12 23:00:12

The rowing boat one with coloured spots is properly awful.

Crazy chefs and Shopping list rule here.

Glad it's not just me with Bus Stop. I think it's because the first person to get round isn't necessarily the winner, then you have to wait for everyone else to finish, then you get all the arguments about whether the red dice or the white dice is the one for the number of places moved, then you get the DCs arguing because one of them wanted a passenger the other one has got, just awful.

silver28 Tue 27-Nov-12 23:11:41

Dinosaur race is really good (my opinion as well as 4.8 yo DS's).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now