Please help my sad dd(6) not look 'silly' in her school play

(72 Posts)
ProphetOfDoom Fri 23-Nov-12 21:21:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MiniMousse Sat 24-Nov-12 10:30:23

you could make a no sew tutu in green and red tulle. Instructions here www.theimaginationtree.com/2011/12/easy-no-sew-tutu.html

Bonbonchance Sat 24-Nov-12 11:44:32

Maybe being an elf is actually a better part? One elf (with lines/special things to do) rather than one of the many generic angels? When I've been casting nursery & school shows, the angels weren't always the good parts, more confident outgoing children tended to be innkeepers & things which might not have seemed so good at first, but the children usually realised later on that they had something good!

I wouldn't make a child do something they were unhappy with, and looks don't really come into it much (but if your daughter looks like a cute little elf then that's ideal!) but maybe she's actually got a great part and will get over not being an angel when she finds out what she's actually doing? Watch the Elf film for ideas! Def have a great glittery costume, felt/fleece is really easy to work with & sew - no hemming - I made a costume out of a Primark fleece blanket (£3!) I'm sure Ikea have red ones if Primark don't.

And I had some rather disgruntled children cast as donkeys one year - but they stole the show and they were quite happy in the end! Nobody mentioned the angels grin

cashmere Sat 24-Nov-12 12:14:23

I'd go with a plain green Tshirt, green hat, red and green tutu (using that link above) and red or green sparkly tights.
Do elves have bells on their shoes?

ProphetOfDoom Sat 24-Nov-12 13:45:09

ProphetOfDoom Sat 24-Nov-12 13:54:20

deXavia Sat 24-Nov-12 13:58:37

I just want to show your DD Arthur Christmas - such cool elfs. And they had gadgets! Make the costume as cool as can be and embrace her inner elfness grin

NoHank Sat 24-Nov-12 14:44:55

Yes, I was thinking that too. It seems strange that there is only one elf unless that elf has a specific part to play. So it is a compliment rather than a snub?

Your costume idea sounds lovely btw

Wingdingdong Sat 24-Nov-12 19:39:03

H&M definitely have sparkly tights, think but not sure they had them in red (a few colours!) - also had plenty of other sparkly bits and bobs. I would think an elf would need a bit of magical sparkle dust on her face and probably a couple of stick-on stars and things too?

If you think she needs to stand out a bit more you could always buy a set of cheap battery fairy elf lights from B&Q and stitch them into a top/waistband. Well, if the costume directions said "bright"... And if your DD is going to be different, she may as well be very different!

Wingdingdong Sat 24-Nov-12 19:47:00

Depending on how much you're willing to spend on the costume (or whether your DD would wear afterwards) H&M also had some amazing red glittery shoes for £8 that I'd definitely have loved when I was 6.

I saw them in the shop and thought Dorothy inWizard of Oz but now I can see that they're clearly elf shoes!

www.hm.com/gb/product/06057?article=06057-B

UniS Sat 24-Nov-12 19:51:57

Make sure the T-shirt is long enough to cover her bum even when its been belted into a tunic.

pigleychez Sat 24-Nov-12 20:26:54

Wingdingdong
Those shoes are DEFINATELY elf shoes!! smile

Perfect with a matching red sparkly belt! and some sparkly tights.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 24-Nov-12 20:28:27

LaCiccolina Sat 24-Nov-12 20:31:38

Elves carry a pretty glittery stick too with a lamp on the end, or anything u feel necessary. Bling her up!!!

pigleychez Sat 24-Nov-12 20:31:53

H&M have a selection of coloured sparkly tights http://www.hm.com/gb/product/02813?article=02813-A#article=02813-E

H&M are also good for bright coloured basic tshirts.

5madthings Sat 24-Nov-12 20:32:59

h&m had red sparkly tights yesterday!

if it makes you feel better ds2 is an i pod in his xmas production this year!

Floggingmolly Sat 24-Nov-12 20:42:33

Are you sure she doesn't have lines? It sounds to me that she has a specific role, and the angels are just the backing chorus, basically.
It might be a far bigger part than she thinks!

Cahooots Sat 24-Nov-12 21:50:26
issyocean Sat 24-Nov-12 22:11:52

Lot's of fab Elf like things here

SuePurblybiltbyElves Sat 24-Nov-12 22:12:20

She will be a very cool elf, whilst I bet that 99% of the fairies (why?) will be in polyester pink horrors from the supermarket.
MUA at Superdrug is supercheap, as is Barry M, and both have loads of glitter make up and nail varnish. I think go to town with it.

OohMrDarcy Sat 24-Nov-12 22:24:10

My DD is an alien this year confused grin

Luckily so are the whole class as far as I can tell....

Their part appears to be dancing to take that's Kidz - random

rockinhippy Sat 24-Nov-12 23:49:15

Aww, bless her, I too would be having a chat with the teacher, I doubt she's intended her to be so upset, I expect she thinks your DD I'd happy with her part, but if you think it's best to make the best of a bad job, I can understand that too, so I would suggest you need a forest elf costume

Forest Elf

Look at the one on the fourth row down, to the left, all greens and golds and pretty - this will make her the belle of the show smile

You need a long sleeve white top - tie dye with bright grass green & decorate with gold glitter paint so it's like the picture

Then layer up gold & green net or tulle & organzan to make a tutu - attach this to the hem of the top to make a dress - add a few similar ruffles to the ends of the cuffs .- use fabric glue to decorate with green & gold sequins - leaf &'flower shapes would be great - go mad with the sequins & glitter ;) gold ribbon in a bow around her waist & tie a couple of strips as steamers around her wrists

Make a pair of leaf shaped fairy wings in green or gold organza, with net & iron on fusing to stiffen keep them joined at the center - use gold on green or green on gold fabric pen/paint to draw in the leaf veins onto the wings - stitch onto the back of the dress between the shoulder blades - if floppy slot a bit of garden wire through both of the wings - again lots of glitter & sparlles smile

Gold sparkly tights,

Gold/green Flowers & leaves stuck onto a head band to make a garland for her hair

Maybe green felt pixie shaped Santa socks with no bottoms to them, attached to her shoes with double sided tape

Good luck - if you get stuck on putting the outfit together, post over in arts & crafts, if I'm not around there's lots more good costume making help over there

rockinhippy Sat 24-Nov-12 23:54:34

Weird confused I just checked my link & the image I meant has moved way down the page, but the gold decor for the top is a bit medieval looking, with lots of gold scroll work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now