(72 Posts)
ProphetOfDoom Fri 23-Nov-12 21:21:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BarbecuedBillygoats Fri 23-Nov-12 21:23:29

Elves are cool
They're much cleverer than fairies and they're nicer too
They even have their own language

BarbecuedBillygoats Fri 23-Nov-12 21:25:09

Sorry was just googling cicely barker. Elves can still have lovely shimmery wings and flowers in their hair

brumblebee Fri 23-Nov-12 21:25:50

Could she have some sparkle too? Sparkly tights and coloured glitter in hair perhaps.

Virgil Fri 23-Nov-12 21:27:10

Go mad with a glitter pen on her bright top and tights. Plus glitter her hair with glitter spray. That stuff says in for days so if you spry her in he morning there will be no chance of it ong out before the play.

Sparkly nail polish?

Snazzyfeelingfestive Fri 23-Nov-12 21:27:15

I also think that elves are cool and just as cool as fairies, but I can see how this won't cut much ice if every other girl is a fairy. I dislike the 'girls must be girly' imperative intensely, but I think I would be asking questions in this instance about why only one girl of all of them is being made an elf, because in that case, it's singling out one child to be different. Not on.

IMO I would go into school on Monday, get the story, and if this is really what's happened, tell the teacher you don't think it's helpful for your daughter to be made to feel like the odd one out, and you would like her to be a fairy too. Why would a fairy have to have long hair anyway?

Virgil Fri 23-Nov-12 21:27:54

Sorry for typos!

Tell her you have to be pretty and clever to be an elf and half pretty vacuous (is that the right word) can be a fairy!

The best green sparkly tights, little felt elf shoes in bright red and a fitted t shirt with a little felt collar same colour as tights. Felt hat with the biggest rainbow coloured Pom Pom on the end that you can make, she will be the elf that rocks next to all those dumbarse fairies!

picnicbasketcase Fri 23-Nov-12 21:28:47

If she has been excluded from all the 'girly' roles because she has short hair, I think I'd have to say something. Not on.

picnicbasketcase Fri 23-Nov-12 21:30:12

Xposts and said almost exactly the same as other people! You can definitely make her look the most fab elf ever but she still shouldn't have only been given that role because she has short hair.

squeezedatbothends Fri 23-Nov-12 21:31:02

Show her a little clip of Liv Tyler in Lord of The Rings and explain she's an elf too...and yes, getting her glittery red and green outfit accessories will be lovely too! Teachers can be really insensitive about this sometimes. When my little boy was in reception class he desperately wanted to be an angel. 'Don't be silly,' said his teacher, 'angels are girls.' His name is Gabriel!!! I had to bite long and hard on my tongue that year!

derbyshiregirl Fri 23-Nov-12 21:32:11

This thread is bringing back horrible memories for me of being a 8 yr old girl at a convent school and being the only blonde girl who wasn't allowed to be an angel in the nativity because I wore glasses

Uppermid Fri 23-Nov-12 21:32:24

Glitter, glitter, glitter

RightUpMyRue Fri 23-Nov-12 21:33:10

Isn't Tinkerbell an elf? She looks more like an elf than she does a fairy. Is DD into Disney at all? Might be worth watching Peter Pan.

Fairies are wimpy and have nothing to do with Christmas too whereas elves are very Christmassy and magical and pretty.

ProphetOfDoom Fri 23-Nov-12 21:33:19

BarbecuedBillygoats Fri 23-Nov-12 21:34:12

grin angels are girls hahaha

BarbecuedBillygoats Fri 23-Nov-12 21:37:44

What do nettle and lizzy look like in Ben and holly. I can't remember

I would go for glittery tights, shorts, top with wings and flowers in the hair

And I would have a word

BarbecuedBillygoats Fri 23-Nov-12 21:40:50

According to cicely barker (flower fairies) the wings are no different
I think you can do what you want. Would anyone dare argue

FannyBazaar Fri 23-Nov-12 21:43:35

Bells. Elves have bells on their shoes and hats don't they? And maybe some more bells too...

BarbecuedBillygoats Fri 23-Nov-12 21:43:42

According to cicely barker (flower fairies) the wings are no different
I think you can do what you want. Would anyone dare argue

ProphetOfDoom Fri 23-Nov-12 21:44:19

Do Elves not have wings too?

ProphetOfDoom Fri 23-Nov-12 21:48:02

LostSeasonings Fri 23-Nov-12 21:51:14

You can make her a hat from a couple of bits of felt really easily.

You can get plain bright t-shirts from ebay. You can get glitter gel to put on her skin too smile

Cahooots Fri 23-Nov-12 21:53:03

More this less this

Basically go for elf that looks a LOT like a fairy. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now