What date do you put up your christmas decorations?

(49 Posts)
MonthlyAFIWish Fri 23-Nov-12 21:16:00

Always put our up 1st december but away that weekend, so wondering if i could get away with putting them up earlier or is pre december a complete no-no?
When do you put yours up?

Clothilde Fri 23-Nov-12 21:27:48

21st December, and they come down on Twelfth Night.

peanutMD Fri 23-Nov-12 21:27:56

I put mine up 2nd Saturday in December and take it down on 2nd January.

If its up to long I get fed up of it.

Completely your decision though, I have seen people with theirs already here and I do think they must be mad grin

derekthehamster Fri 23-Nov-12 21:29:18

2 weekends before xmas (15th or 16th this year) They come down on or before 12th night

First or second weekend in Dec, but depends a bit on dates as DD's birthday is mid Dec. Never before December though.

cece Fri 23-Nov-12 21:31:07

A few days before xmas day - although DC nag me, so usually about the 20th Dec.

I take them down on the 27th or 28th Dec. Never keep them up for New Year.

WipsGlitter Fri 23-Nov-12 21:31:49

Two weekends before Christmas. I find it depressing when people put them up earlier.

PrincessOfChina Fri 23-Nov-12 21:34:03

When I was a kid it always used to be whenever we broke up from school.

I rebelled when I moved out and always put up on 1st December. I think we were away last year on 1st so would have put them up the following weekend.

Before December is wrong. My boss is travelling from Chicago this weekend to meet me and she has insisted on putting her Decs up before she leaves as she doesn't want to get home on the 1st and not have them up. Crazy.

Prizepudding Fri 23-Nov-12 21:34:17

I have already seen two Christmas trees up in windows shock We will likely do it two weeks before.

chocolateistheenemy Fri 23-Nov-12 21:35:32

Mine are probably going up this weekend if I can get away with it! Can't wait. I get them down again on 1 Jan so not that many days of having them up!! I love Christmas and so do my DCs!

We are putting the tree up this weekend.

LadyLetch Fri 23-Nov-12 21:37:13

I always do ours on the first weekend in Dec, down on 2nd Jan.

chocolateistheenemy Fri 23-Nov-12 21:37:38

Haha! Each to their own... happy almost-December, fellow MNers blush

Ours go up around mid-December. When I was a child we were never allowed to put decorations up until Christmas Eve and I hated having to wait so long.

Ours usually come down at the start of January though as I'm sick of them by then! grin

exexpat Fri 23-Nov-12 21:39:12

Last day of term (or next day if there is something going on that evening) so usually a week or so before Christmas. That way we're not all bored of it by Christmas.

Second sunday in December usually. Am stressing about it a bit this year because I have many gorgeous glass baubles I have collected over the years. And a 17 mo wrecking ball DGS... I may need an electric fence grin

Two weeks before usually, but we have a real tree.

sausagesandwich34 Fri 23-Nov-12 21:53:17

I do mine 2nd week in december but the decs have been up at work since october so I'm getting a bit past it now

Usually 10 days before .When we had a real tree it was about a week before. Last year I bought a fakey tree, so it can go up with the decorations.
They definately don't go up on the 1st. DS birthday is the 7th. grin

New Years Day is spent taking them down, then NYD dinner is in a strangely nekkid , clean house . wink

I used to put them up on Xmas eve, but now I have a 6 yr old and I love winding him up with excitement so they go up on Dec 1st now. I'm nearly as excited as him!
<need to get myself a life emoticon>

CharlotteBronteSaurus Fri 23-Nov-12 21:56:17

2 weekends before
TBH I would rather wait until the weekend before but am an organisational fiasco and normally spend that weekend shopping and wrapping

MrsDimples Fri 23-Nov-12 22:01:35

We put our tree up last weekend.

DD is three and it is the first year she gets it. She's been asking for a tree and to decorate it for a while. We decided, what the fuck, it isn't hurting anyone and she's more of the pleasure for longer. There are lights and a few baubles on, that she is taking great delight in regularly rearranging.

We've not put any other decorations up yet.

The day after we'd put the tree up, she touched the tree and said, "I love the Xmas Tree, I love the lights" grin

helebear Fri 23-Nov-12 22:01:41

Princessofchina we used to do the same. The day we broke up from school was always a half day so we used to come home & decorate the tree.

ArthurandGeorge Fri 23-Nov-12 22:03:45

Usually mid-Dec bu away that weekend this year and weekend after feels too near Xmas (and the dc will have hounded me to death by then) so will be in two wees time. Never pre-Dec.

steppemum Fri 23-Nov-12 22:06:18

we have dutch SinterKlaas on 5th Dec, nothing to do with christmas (even advent calendars) allowed before 5th grin

ds birthday on 14th. he gets to choose if christmas decs up before or after his birthday.

usually go up on 15th! Down on 12th night, but maybe before they go back to school.

Think it depends if you have artificial tree or real - real don't last as long, so can't be up on 1st dec.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now