Christmas for beginners

(56 Posts)

Ho ho ho, I'm hosting Christmas this year for the very first time and dh's family will be joining us for what will be ds's first Christmas.
I am starting completely from scratch so there's a lot to think about!
I'd like to think I have the basics covered (buy tree, roast turkey etc) but please share your top tips/family traditions which make Christmas extra special? Also any hints/cheats to make it easier for me as I'm determined to avoid ending up like Asda Mum grin.
Thanks!

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 02-Dec-12 21:10:10

People are catching on to Aldi. I didn't buy my crown last shop. Popped in today and they didn't have any! I'm guessing that they get lots of deliveries but I can't remember seeing the turkey freezer so bare before.

EggNogRules Sun 02-Dec-12 21:34:42

Aldi's offers change on Thur and Sun and they are always busy on those days. Hopefully I will manage to get one later this week so I can put it in the freezer ready.

ulcombebird Sun 09-Dec-12 13:00:56

Roasted mini new potatoes, brushed with olive oil, black pepper and sea salt served on cocktail sticks with ready made dip (we have humous) transferred intoba nice dish to make it look homemade. Always go down well in our house.

FairyTrain Sun 09-Dec-12 21:27:27

This thread is fantastic! Thank you! Just completed table plan with DH which brough up all sorts of discussions and ideas...I have delegated lots of food prep with everyone brining something. DH suggested writing "jobs for the day" on the back of everyones name place card such as "x carve turkey" "y make sure everyone's glass is topped up" "z clear starters"
I was slighty daunted about it all but this thread has motivated me and made me quite excited...

louismummy Sun 09-Dec-12 22:01:39

make and freeze Jamies make ahead gravy. ditto yorkshire puddings. I make delias chocolate bread and butter pudding it keeps well if not eaten and can be reheated and ideally needs to be prepared the day in advance.

redwellybluewelly Sun 09-Dec-12 22:04:37

Oh my. I 'watched' this thread when it started to come back to next year when we knew we could be home alone.

But we're going to be staying home this year just the three of us! Rather than having to rush our morning, get dolled up and then rush to lunch half an hour away while DD moans about missing nap and being hungry we are doing it all at home! Now I needs to find a small turkey and several dozen pigs in blankets DH and DD eat silly amounts and we can do all our favourites!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now