Advice on the best play kitchen for a toddler

(25 Posts)
WaitMonkey Mon 30-Dec-13 17:02:34

We had the ELC plastic one, it was rubbish. Now have the Ikea one, so much better. You've made the right choice.

goldengirls Mon 30-Dec-13 11:14:06

We looke around for hours at different children's wooden play kitchen toys for my little girl and boy this Christmas, there are so many around now form Kidkraft Teamson oplum and John crane tidlo and to get one to suit both genders is difficult. in the end we bought one from wooden-toys-direct.co.uk play kitchen an went for the John Crane tidlo Country kitchen. I have to say thats it's amazing and there little face were a picture come Christmas morning.

ChristmasCountdown Wed 21-Nov-12 22:50:17

DS has a wooden one from elc - they don't stock it anymore, but they do have two wooden kitchens on offer now, with a further 20% off available if you use the offer code on the home page.

JJWMummy Wed 21-Nov-12 22:05:23

We've got DD1 the Step 2 Cozy kitchen for her 2nd birthday (12th Dec), it is plastic granted, but it's good quality and sturdy, very similar to Little Tikes.

We got it in Toys R Us for £50 reduced from £70, that ws a few weeks ago now though.

Had so many over the years (DS1 is 13 now) and learnt my lesson, cheap plastic will break and wooden ones are really hard to clean and/or fall apart.

debdee Wed 21-Nov-12 21:26:47

We were going to get the Ikea one for DD for Xmas but found the Melissa & Doug corner kitchen on Amazon which is reduced in price & is gorgeous!

gemz86 Wed 21-Nov-12 20:52:14

Oh gosh there are so many fab ones. I love the little tikes one afrodizzywonders. I'm swaying towards the ikea one as the offer on at the moment seems great and i've always liked the look of it (also dont think I've ever heard a bad review for it). I've been having a look at the great Little trading company. They have some beautiful ones on there but they are quite expensive x

Afrodizzywonders Wed 21-Nov-12 20:44:07

Try again! that link didn't work Little Tikes Kitchen

Afrodizzywonders Wed 21-Nov-12 20:41:49

I bought this one second hand for £100 on ebay from Little Tykes my DS who is 2.2 is in it all the time, loves it. Its nice and sturdy, well made and I can tell is going to last, has some sound effects. Very happy with it and would recommend it.

FarelyKnuts Wed 21-Nov-12 20:29:49

Whatever you do DO NOT buy the plastic ones. DD was give a peppa pig one, piece of rubbish falls apart if you so much as breathe near it!

X-post with Fanny.

lurcherlover Wed 21-Nov-12 20:27:39

I'm getting the ikea one for 2-year-old ds this year. I've got him a cute basket of play veg from there too and am going to get a little toaster, kettle etc.

I've just got the Ikea one for dd for Christmas. It's lovely, and the height adjusts so should last a while. And it's down in price to £46 for the basic kitchen or £60 including the extra top section. For your budget you could get some of the pots and pans and stuff to go with it, they're very sweet.

FannyFifer Wed 21-Nov-12 20:25:30

Ikea one currently reduced from £90 to £60. grin

4forkssake Wed 21-Nov-12 20:22:58

The Melissa & Doug kitchen on amazon is lovely.

BeaWheesht Wed 21-Nov-12 19:48:55

We got the asda wooden one for dd last year - she will be 2.3 this year and she loves it. Think it's £35 just now. You could spend the extra on lovely play food and accessories etx.

there are fab accessories for a play kitchen at ELC at the moment. same as the lovely wooden ones you get on line, but a wee bit cheper.

gemz86 Wed 21-Nov-12 19:28:04

Thanks for all your replies. Wooden definately seems better than plastic. I've loved the ikea one since seeing it in store. Think I will probably go for that one x

buzzgirly Wed 21-Nov-12 17:22:14

We bought a wooden Kidkraft kitchen for my daughters 2nd birthday from GLTC. She is now 4 and it still gets played with everyday. All the kids that come over love it.

Clothilde Wed 21-Nov-12 17:09:43

I don't have it, but have heard nothing but good things about the Ikea one. They also do great pans, dishes, utensils and play food.

Eskarina Wed 21-Nov-12 16:29:33

Another fan of the IKEA kitchen here!

Tikkabillajive Wed 21-Nov-12 14:30:49

Another vote for the IKEA one - one of our all time best buys. DCs are 7 and nearly 5 and I am only just starting to consider putting it away as I'd like some more space! They both still play with it now and then though. It's sturdy, durable, looks nice and has plenty of space inside to store pots, pans and pretend food.

DewDr0p Wed 21-Nov-12 14:20:15

Sorry meant to say I saw that Ikea one recently and thought it was lovely!

DewDr0p Wed 21-Nov-12 14:19:47

We had the ELC one and it was pretty good.

What they liked a lot was the toaster and kettle (esp the kettle) that we added onto it - so whichever you go for I would considering adding these as accessories!

MegBusset Wed 21-Nov-12 13:48:55

The Ikea one is great smile

gemz86 Wed 21-Nov-12 10:22:54

As the title suggests im on the lookout for the best toy kitchen set for my ds who will be 2.3 at Xmas. My mum and her partner want to get him one that will last a good few years and are willing to spend about £100 on it. I don't mind too much if the age recommendation is for 3+ as I would rather this than buy one too babyish that won't get enough use. I want it to be nice and big, as tall as him and with enough space for him to play with his pots and pans etc. so far I like the ikea wooden one and also the little tikes cook and grow two stage kitchen. Can anyone give any thoughts on these or recommend any others that are worth a look xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now