Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

Present for dad difficult to buy for

(11 Posts)
leobeebs Mon 19-Nov-12 20:26:06

We stopped buying presents for parents once we bought a house as had no cash. Parents lived far away so postage was always ££. Anyway my mum died in the summer and really want dad to have something to open as he won't have mums gifts.
Trouble is he doesn't do anything especially since mum died. He's diabetic diet controlled, can't read as his eyes aren't good and can't get around that well.
So any ideas?

iseenodust Mon 19-Nov-12 20:35:43

Story/detective series on CD?
My mum's eyes are very poor but with a Kindle she just sets it to very large print and is glad to be back reading.

adeucalione Mon 19-Nov-12 21:00:23

DAB radio, Kindle (can change size of font as iseenodust says or some have audio), hamper of nice Christmas treats that he might not bother to buy for himself, bottle of single malt, box set of a favourite TV or movie series.

leobeebs Mon 19-Nov-12 21:11:08

Thanks for the ideas. Was just looking at the Lakeland book and they have nice hamper things in.
It's quite difficult as we've not seen each other for 8 years. Mainly due to my mum and the way she treated me. So I feel like I don't know him anymore and if I ask what he would like he says he can't be bothered with anything sad. Appreciate he is grieving still but really want to help him.

iseenodust Mon 19-Nov-12 21:18:31

Could you consider popping an invitation to visit you in with his Xmas card? You clearly still communicate. It might be company he would most appreciate?

leobeebs Mon 19-Nov-12 21:23:02

Would love him to come but he has lots of health issues and his gp has said he can't travel. We do communicate now every week and its great whereas before I hadn't spoken to him for years due to controlling mum. If one good thing has come out of this is I've got my dad back and it's lovely. I feel like a normal person now not a horrible one.

joanofarchitrave Mon 19-Nov-12 21:28:10

Diabetes UK page on hamper ideas here

How about a small photo album of photos of you/family (don't know if you have kids) over the past eight years? Not loads, maybe just one a year?

iseenodust Tue 20-Nov-12 10:43:02

It is tough for everyone as parents age isn't it? Glad you are in a better place.

TeeBee Tue 20-Nov-12 11:12:18

A jumper
Nice slippers
Digital photo frame uploaded with photos of your family (including your mum)
Photobook
Does he like music? Some CDs?

TeeBee Tue 20-Nov-12 11:12:41

Nice cushion
A posh blanket

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 20-Nov-12 11:27:12

If you feel up for visiting, maybe you could get him tickets (even a made-up IOU), for an 'event' or a attraction that you could visit when you're together. Doesn't have to be flash, could be a ticket for a walk in the park or whatever. Eeven if it's only driving to a park and hobbling 10m to a bench, as I do with my dad!)

And maybe some 'accessory' for the 'event', eg new nice socks, gloves for the walk in the park?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now