Where to buy clothes for older ladies?

(22 Posts)
amck5700 Tue 20-Nov-12 13:36:13

lol - a bit of both - I never wear crew neck - it's not a flattering loook for me - she has admired some of my tops and I think she likes the colours I wear, hence the request for some nice colours but I have bought her tops similar to mine before but I think they are still in her drawer! Just for the record, I am 46 so not realy in the same age bracket.

I'm not sure what look she is trying to go for........other than comfy smile

Thinking now that maybe what she actually wants is just a multi pack of mens t-shirts but in ladies colours.......I'll see if I can find anything like that.

And thanks for Lands end too Scuttlebutter - think it is short sleeve she wants but I'll have a look.

Sonotkylie Tue 20-Nov-12 13:14:02

Might it be that she's admired your T shirts and hoping you'll get her some like yours? My mother does this ... Does that make it easier or have you just fallen off your chair laughing?

Land's End is great for really nice quality, classic ladies wear that your mum might like, things like long sleeved crew neck tshirts, etc. They make them out of Pima cotton, so are soft on the skin, last very well and wash well too. I have quite a few of their things that I layer up with fleeces etc for walking dogs etc, and have found that although not the cheapest the quality is excellent.

amck5700 Mon 19-Nov-12 21:32:04

thanks thegreylady forgot about the woollen mill too, I'm from Edinburgh and Mum still lives there but as I said, really doesn't get out much and barely at all in the winter. She hasn't been that well lately either.

thegreylady Mon 19-Nov-12 21:28:41

Bon Marche and Edinburgh Woollen Mill are both good especially EWM.I am 68 and get quite a bit from there.

amck5700 Mon 19-Nov-12 21:25:22

Just bought a two pack of elastic trousers in Damart. They were cheap but that's what she liked for mooching about in the house and they dry really quick. Might get her some new underwear too as everything is working out well within budget - she says she doesn't need any cardis or fleeces or nightwear or slippers!

amck5700 Mon 19-Nov-12 21:22:41

Thanks, I thought so smile They say scoop neck - but it doesn't look too scooped. She normally likes a crew neck - hope they'll be okay.

everydayaschoolday Mon 19-Nov-12 21:17:18

oh, they are nice - good spot! And good price too.

amck5700 Mon 19-Nov-12 21:12:23

Yes it's great - I really think she thought she was doing me a massive favour by actually saying what she wanted, but I don't think she considered the fact that it was November!

She doesn't go out much now so likes to be comfy and cosy and have things that are easily washed and dried. She likes t-shirts to wear under fleece tops or cardi's and doesn't like anything low on the neck and she likes them loose so that they are easy to get on and off.

These are the ones I bought - one in blue and one in green.

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Dickins+Jones+Ladies+striped+jersey+top/163403789,default,pd.html

Might see if I can get her a nice pair of trousers to go with the tops.

everydayaschoolday Mon 19-Nov-12 21:05:36

glad you found what you were after - and lots of other good suggestions besides smile

amck5700 Mon 19-Nov-12 20:56:36

and another great idea Wanda Thanks too.

amck5700 Mon 19-Nov-12 20:55:51

another good idea Never - I'll have a look there too.

Thanks

WandaDoff Mon 19-Nov-12 20:55:07

MIL used to get a lot of stuff from Bon Marche.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Mon 19-Nov-12 20:53:34

Mum buys things like that from John Lewis Classics range.

amck5700 Mon 19-Nov-12 20:50:47

thanks anicestdown - that was my first thought too - just the wrong time of year I think.

gingers that's the shop I was racking my brains trying to remember - I'll have a look there too - don't mind adding in another given the bargain I got in HoF smile

amck5700 Mon 19-Nov-12 20:48:52

Thank you everydayaschoolday I managed to find a nice stripey one in two different colours - so ordered them just hope they fit ok smile

In the sale too, so were originally 35 quid each and I got them both for just over 25 delivered!!

GingersarealwaysToms Mon 19-Nov-12 20:44:47

Damart was always the name I associated with ladies of a certain age. I just did a quick google and they're still on the go. They were always noted for their thermal undies. T-shirts around about £25 a go so mid price range.

anicesitdown Mon 19-Nov-12 20:42:23

oops - you'd think I'd read through and process your full message OP. Sorry about that...

anicesitdown Mon 19-Nov-12 20:41:43

what about the 'classic' range in M&S?

amck5700 Mon 19-Nov-12 20:31:21

Forgot about them - I'll go look.....thank you smile

everydayaschoolday Mon 19-Nov-12 20:24:02

House of Fraser might have classic styles that you're after.

amck5700 Mon 19-Nov-12 20:22:30

My Mum is 79 - she has asked for t-shirts for Christmas hmm

Nice and convenient request in November!

She wants normal crew neck but nice colours. Where do older ladies buy clothes? Have tried M&S, BHS, Debenhams, Mackays, Next and Primark? - any ideas please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now