Elf on the shelf, your own or the original?

(12 Posts)
altinkum Sun 18-Nov-12 16:37:39

I don't like the original elf on the shelf teddy so I'm getting my own made.

However still going to do the michevious elf, and the adult no touching....

What are you doing with your elf if its not the original one, and if it is the original one is it the same concept as doing it yourself.

I'm wanting to do this for tradition, in my own version... But needing ideas as its all new.

Ds's are 3 and 6 so they still very believe in the magic of Christmas.

I bought the Gant one from Ebay because I thought the original looks quite creepy (I wouldn't be able to sleep with him in the house just in case I forgot to hide the knives!!!)

I've stolen lots of ideas from the internet, for example DD is going out for a walk with Daddy whilst I set up the elf outside, he's going to spill the sugar bowl, bring the christmas eve hamper, climb decorations, eat some of mummy's special chocolate etc. He's also going to do good things like sweep the kitchen floor for me, bake cookies, bring a gingerbread house for us to decorate.

I am so overexcited I have even produced a spreadsheet so I know what he'll be doing each day smile

altinkum Sun 18-Nov-12 16:48:11

Are you taking pictures,? Of him doing his naughtiness?? Or just leaving him so the kids and find him?

Haha I am too, I've got a hamper that is going to be filled with elf stuff, and we are also watching elf on Xmas eve as part of their hamper.

Some very good ideas ty

SchrodingersHat Sun 18-Nov-12 19:11:46

I've made my own elf (adapted the mollie doll pattern that was in mollie makes a few months ago). One idea I had was to take a photo each day of the elf and then after Christmas get a book made up (using photobox or another website) which the elf could send DD in January when he/she has gone back to the North Pole.

reddwarf Tue 20-Nov-12 15:26:44

If you're using your own elf, are you getting the book or just not bothering at all? I kind of like the sound of it as a fun thing to do, but can't get hold of it.... Don't want to go too mad as have 1 older cynics and only 1 excited little one.

Clothilde Tue 20-Nov-12 15:51:59

I've ordered a Maileg elf who will be arriving with a letter from Father Christmas, the advent calendar and some Christmas books and activities. I've also been inspired by the "good deeds" thread, so our elf will be coming to learn about Christmas here, and share some of the Christmas Spirit from the North Pole, so will be leaving little Christmas spirit tasks for the children to carry out (things like feeding wild birds, writing a Christmas card, taking part in the school play, giving someone a compliment, saving enegery by turning offf the lights...)

InspectorGadget Tue 20-Nov-12 16:22:40

I've slpurged on one of the ruby range ones. My kids are only little (3 and 1) so I reckon I'll get my moneys worth out of it.
I really love the idea, but think the branded elf on a shelf elf/book/dvd is a total rip off, the elf looks creepy and cheap and I'd rather make my own rules than follow whatever is in the book/dvd.
Also I cannot for the life of me understand why the elf would be 'naughty'? We are trying to teach our children to be good and nice and behave well and then a wee elf comes along and unrolls all the bog roll, or defaces family photos with a sharpie, or spills cereal all over the place and and we're all to have a good chuckle at it... oh look at our cheeky elf, he's chopped off a whole branch of the money tree with a kitchen knife, oh the little rapscalion, look kids.... we took pictures of him doing it, such a naughty elf hahahahahaha.
WTF? I just do not geddit. Although perhaps I've picked up the wrong end of the stick?
Anyway our elf won't be reporting back to santa either, he'll just be joining us every christmas to make sure we are all ok, he'll pop back to the north pole every night to sleep in his own bed and will come back somewhere different each morning, he'll definitely be magic and mustn't be touched so will always be out of reach. Maybe in years to come he'll bring back tiny gifts occaisionally, and I love the 'good deed' idea so will probs do that in the future too.
He'll leave a pj/dvd hamper on christmas eve when he goes off to help santa.
I think the kids will LOVE it, but I do tie myself up in knots sometimes worrying about going to extraordinary lengths to make christmas a magical time for them when they are little only to dissapoint them when they're a bit older and admit it was all a sham.

izzyishavingababyAGAIN Tue 20-Nov-12 18:01:33

Im blogging ours, they are naughty, but they come out with us on day trips, the DCs love them, we have Aurora ones. There is a lovely list here somewhere Ill try to link.

crissyboo Tue 20-Nov-12 21:33:11

I love this....my elf has just arrived today, I ordered him from ebay www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14-Aurora-Rag-Doll-XMAS-ELF-BOY-CHRISTMAS-Soft-Toy-NEW-/271042958398?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D3600921788042108554%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D271042958398%26 he is too cute and I can't wait for 1st December to introduce him to my (already over excited) 4 ½ year old.
My hubby does not get it and does not really ‘do’ Christmas but this year I intend to make it as magical as I can for my boy smile

I have a few ideas of tricks and treats for our elf to get up to so just cant wait to get things going smile

Flisspaps Tue 20-Nov-12 21:38:16

We bought a Little Kingdon Ben Elf last year, he'll do. No pictures, just hiding around the house to spy on DD.

bondigidum Tue 20-Nov-12 22:21:49

I'm in two minds. Deliberating over whether to get the actual eots set or the eots plush elf which is far less creepy.

The elf in the set is growing on me, he's got a certain charm about him which I like.. I can't quite put my finger on it. On the other hand he could just be doing that to worm his way into our house and then kill us with a pickaxe whilst we sleep.

bondigidum Tue 20-Nov-12 22:25:34

*incomplete post.

I quite like DCs not being able to touch, that way he doesn't become a toy and instead stays quite the militarian watching over them to then report back to Santa. Really I like him because it might just make the DCs behave wink

He shall arrive on the doorstep on the morning of the first bearing a letter from FC himself addressing the DCs and explaining who he is and why he is there. Then on Christmas Eve after our walk he will have magically disappeared and a letter will be left beside their Christmas eve 'stockings' explaining that his work is done and its been nice.

I think i'll get him to do naughty things, for my own amusement of course wink and definitely take pictures!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now