what things can i make ahead and freeze/store easily

(33 Posts)
waitingtobeamummy Sun 18-Nov-12 10:15:26

And do I cook them before or after (for the frozen things)
First year of working full time and struggling to fit things in!
My dm is making the cake, I want to make mince pies, some biscuits/ fudge truffle things for presents.(and for us [blush¡ We will be having people around for tea a couple of nights.
What can I do?

Crikeyblimey Sun 18-Nov-12 23:52:45

Check out nigella's red cabbage recipe. It has cherry brandy in it! I tend to put a bit less in than she does and I add a baking apple or 2. Tastes fantastic, freezes like a dream, dead easy to make and I just warm it up in the oven (or nuke it) when I need it.

anja1cam Mon 19-Nov-12 09:16:00

Red Cabbage: this is my standard easy recipe, no unusual ingredients, I cook it and then when cooled bung into freezer in suitable microwaveable containers!

===================================================
Apfelrotkohl (Red Cabbage with Apples)

400 g Red cabbage -about one medium one
100 g Apple (any kind) -I tend to use two
1 Onion
2 Cloves
1 Bay Leaf
20 g lard/other fat (I just fry the white bits I take off a few rashers smoked bacon, gives a lovely flabour)
1 TB Vinegar
1 ts Sugar
pinch Salt pinch
black Pepper
1 litre Stock (preferably beef, but any kind will do)

Wash and shred/slice the red cabbage, discarding central stalk. Chop the Onion, peel, core and chop the apple.

In a heavy-bottomed pan, heat the bacon fat till the bits are brown and shrivelled and the fat has run out. Discard brown bits if you prefer. Fry the onion till translucent, add cabbage and apples. Add cloves and bay, vinegar and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well and add the stock. Cover and simmer gently for 30-40mins. Check seasoning. Try to remove the bay leaf and cloves before serving. If you're worried about this, stick them in a small onion and add that to the cooking at the beginning so you can just remove the onion to retrieve the cloves.

I think I used less stock, and I'm sure the bacon fat is not essential, any other fat will do for frying.
===============================================

ChristmasCountdown Mon 19-Nov-12 12:11:07

Great, thanks!

MadameCholetWasMyFavourite Mon 19-Nov-12 12:40:23

I always make and freeze my stuffings, I tried freezing the Veg Mornay last year but it was raelly watery so won't do that again. Also yes to freezing baked mince pies and raw cookie dough.

Pinner35 Mon 19-Nov-12 15:46:09

Yes, freeze the potatoes and parsnips on a baking sheet and then put them into a bag once frozen.

Could one of you kind souls post the recipe for Jamie Oliver's cranberry sauce....the one with butter in. I have a brand new, empty freezer and i need to fill it! Thanks so much.

waitingtobeamummy Mon 19-Nov-12 17:58:21

Thank you all so much for these! I am going to sort the freezer out this week so that I can get going with stuff!

WholeLottaRosie Mon 19-Nov-12 18:27:20

Not for freezing but they literally take minutes: Rolo turtles taste nicer than they sound actually as a combination of sweet and salty and crunchy and gooey. That's a USA recipe though so watch the oven temperature (think they use f and we use c) and in my opinion the pecans don't need to be toasted.
So basically a pretzel with a rolo on top, baked for a few mins, then a pecan half squished down.

waitingtobeamummy Mon 19-Nov-12 21:47:56

Oh my god whole they sound amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now