Do you buy clothes for your kids that they love but you HATE?

(25 Posts)
hdoodle Sun 18-Nov-12 19:58:30

Sitandchew, what about this from ebay? Faux fur!

Wheredidmyyouthgo Sun 18-Nov-12 19:51:14

DD is only two, so I don't have this issue yet, and would like to think I'd be philosophical about it, as long as it wasn't something inappropriate. I will have to remind myself of this in however many years when she demands something outrageous!

fuzzpig Sun 18-Nov-12 11:03:55

Haven't had this issue yet as mine are 5 and 3 so I still choose it all.

The elves will be delivering this nightie on Xmas eve though <shudder>

insanityscratching Sun 18-Nov-12 07:33:22

I let dd choose her own clothes within reason even if they aren't to my taste. I do though suggest an outfit if we are going out somewhere so some of the more dubious choices don't get much of an airing tbh. She's 9 now though and her choices are far more tasteful.

MrsCantSayAnything Sun 18-Nov-12 03:12:55

Sometimes. Last year DD2 fell for a hideous Peppa t shirt...bright green with a livid pink Peppa...and diamonds! It was from M&S too! she was stroking it and I had to offer it.

SHe was so happy it was worth it.

PurplyWurply Sun 18-Nov-12 03:07:25

TheSitChewAceChien lidl kids waterproofs usually have a slightly rubberised finish which isn't noisy and are fleece lined. They have new ones which hopefully will be the same material in store on Monday but they usually sell out fast.

anja1cam Sun 18-Nov-12 01:05:51

I probably would. Not really an issue around here yet - they're 5 and 8 and the older one has declared a hate for pink which suits me well :-) Not done much clothes shopping together yet, and so far we've always been able to agree on the choice, also we've had endless bags of stuff from our cousins up to this point, and so far she's happy with what I've got for her but I'm under no illusion that this will change. As long as it's not inappropriate etc I'd probably let her have what she wants, possibly after a discussion what I think about it smile

I would have bought her the above example if she really wanted it, esp at that price. Yes it's hideous but I don't have to like it / wear it...

SissySparkles Sat 17-Nov-12 23:58:52

Yes, within reason. If it's suitable and the quality is ok then I'd probably buy it. For instance I recently bought her these monstrosities

Yes I know.

But they're sensible enough and she does spend 5 days a week in school uniform so why not let her wear something she really likes on the weekend? I told DD that I didn't like them and why, but she patiently explained that if you're a 5 year old girl they're "really cool".

And she's going to be wearing exactly what she wants in 10 years time so I might as well get used to it.

AudrinaAdare Sat 17-Nov-12 23:08:37

Fleece or maybe Jersey is the correct term for the fabric.

You probably don't want to be googling younger boy+leather+fur.

Bless him - he sounds ace grin

Aw thanks for the lovely thought anyway Audrina smile

Your DS' coat sounds much nicer than one I imagined from DS' description- think it was the furry hood that was giving a bad mental image! Never thought of fleecey- bet that's what he meant though.

So leather and fleece.
Not rubber and fur grin

AudrinaAdare Sat 17-Nov-12 22:51:01

It really wasn't to our taste either grin but he liked it.

AudrinaAdare Sat 17-Nov-12 22:46:58

TheSitChewAceChien my DS had a coat a bit like that last year. Leather bomber jacket but with a grey sweatshirt-material hood. We bought it in Next. I can't remember whether the hood was lined with fleece but it definitely didn't rustle. He has ASD and sensory issues. I've just given it away or would have been happy to pass it on for your DS' approval sad

HappyTurquoise Sat 17-Nov-12 22:46:38

Not like that, but MIL used to give mine things like that and amazingly they always disappeared and then something almost exactly the same would appear in the local charity shop! My DC is into black, vampires, blood, gore, scary stuff. it was a bit of a shock at first, but now she's tamed down the eye liner, and stopped threatening tattoos and multiple piercings, I'm happier to buy the occasional band tee shirt.

bedmonster Sat 17-Nov-12 22:40:50

Well I certainly wouldn't cave and buy something like that top you've linked to, I think it's absolutely hideous grin!!!

But at the same time, I do allow my DDs a certain amount of freedom when they go clothes shopping. We go once in the spring and once in the autumn and after the practical items, ie jeans/jumpers etc, they usually get to choose a couple of bits themselves that we haven't picked out. So far, they've chosen nice (if you're their way inclined!) things!

BiBiBroccoli Sat 17-Nov-12 22:37:01

I buy character T-shirts for DS as he is a pain in the arse high maintenance, and it cuts down on tantrums. It pains me to hand over money for them though as had a complete character clothing ban until he came along.

DD has fabulous taste except for an urge for Lelli Kellys which I will never buy. They look like a unicorn has vomited on them.

2kidsintow Sat 17-Nov-12 22:36:29

Imagine that top with extra splashes of luminous yellow and green here and there. And rhinestones on the leopard's whiskers.

She'll love it though (and her sister will get all the credit for it as she will be giving it to her at Christmas). Ah well, it is a cheap way to keep her happy.

rubyrubyruby Sat 17-Nov-12 22:35:09

Yes

I'm not sure yet.

DS (5) hardly ever wears coats, apparently they are too rustly. (He has sensory issues)
So fed up am I with the whole village wondering if the "poor boy is freezing with no coat on?!" that I'm beginning to soften on his request for a coat that is "black, made of rubber" (leather!) " and with a furry hood"

It sounds foul, and I'm not sure if such a coat exists but...Maybe! grin

That top doesn't seem too bad!

nancy75 Sat 17-Nov-12 22:33:31

Dd loves hello kitty, I hate anything with pictures or logos, my compromise is letting her have a couple of t shirts that she wears to own clothes day or school trips and I don't have to be seen with her wearing it!

VerySmallSqueak Sat 17-Nov-12 22:32:35

Yes,if they ask and they aren't outright inappropriate.

I want to encourage their individuality and their own sense of style.

It's not about me,it's about them.

AudrinaAdare Sat 17-Nov-12 22:31:01

DD wants Converse. I like Converse but not with leggings and a too-short top. She is going to look like a clown.

sparkle12mar08 Sat 17-Nov-12 22:30:32

No I wouldn't. I would do everything in my power to steer them away from something as hideous as that top, and if that didn't work I'd issue a point blank refusal, yes, but I would say they could use their pocket money if they wanted.

The only things I wouldn't buy my DD (who is 10 yo) is things that are shoddily made (you know the ones that will look cack after one wash) or something like a "WAG in Training" T Shirt .

Luckily, she's got pretty good taste , and I'll always explain why I'm not buying it.

BTW the TShirt is okay blush

Beamur Sat 17-Nov-12 22:19:25

Not yet.
That top is grim grin

2kidsintow Sat 17-Nov-12 22:17:02

I have. My DD fell in love with a vile top very similar to the one in this link,
direct.asda.com/george/older-girls-tops/leopard-mirror-print-top/GEM262259,default,pd.html
but with more luminous colours.

It was £6. I refused her request. She was very sad.
Then they were getting rid of them (can't think why grin) at half price. So I caved and got one for her sister to give her as a Christmas gift.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now