Chocolate house gingerbread style, how long will it keep?

(5 Posts)
Sagas Sat 17-Nov-12 18:46:34

Have made a gingerbread house/scene with DC for the last couple of years and it's good fun for all if time consuming. The trouble is the gingerbread is really not edible by the time we eat it, and there aren't many of us so it doesn't get demolished and eaten in one go. I was wondering about making a chocolate one with the moulds you can buy. How long do you think that would last? It seems such a waste to chuck out the gingerbread. TIA

NoHaudinMaWheest Sat 17-Nov-12 19:58:22

I haven't made a chocolate house but we have a mould for a chocolate sleigh and have done that for a few years. The chocolate is still edible after 2-3 weeks but unless you do fancy tempering (which I haven't even considered attempting), it develops a white bloom. It does alter the taste a bit but it is the look that is really off putting. My Dcs won't eat it when it goes like that.

In fact I am considering a gingerbread house this year for that very reason but sounds from what you say as if that won't be any better. Maybe just consider it as decoration only or eat after a few days.

Sagas Sun 18-Nov-12 13:44:20

Thanks for that, interesting. I know my DH will eat it whatever it looks like! Not sure about DC.

iMe Sun 18-Nov-12 14:08:04

I read on here of a family that have fun making a gingerbread house together, then enjoy it as a decoration, but since nobody really likes the taste of gingerbread, when Christmas is over they crush it into crumbs and feed it to the birds. I was always put off gingerbread houses before because nobody in our house likes gingerbread either, but I've bought the ikea one this year & plan to feed it to the birds in the new year grin

You chuck out the gingerbread house? shock IMO, ginger biscuits are the only biscuits that are edible when stale and soft. grin I shamelessly consume our gingerbread houses - well, the bits that DS1 has left for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now