Whats your favourite christmas music/album? i need inspiration

(37 Posts)
MonthlyName Mon 12-Nov-12 10:04:13

I've decided I need new Christmas music this year. I currently have some mix cd's of the typical Christmas songs I made years ago and don't shoot me the 2 glee Christmas albums. But I need new ones. I would quite like some back ground type ones, I.e. Christmas carols / piano ones and also someone singing. Maybe Michael bubble type?
So hit me with your favourites and improve my Christmas music listening!

DoubleMum Tue 04-Dec-12 12:05:14
mumbaisapphire Sun 02-Dec-12 23:10:56

I second anyone who has mentioned the Phil Spector Christmas Gift to you album. It's Motown meets Christmas and has been the soundtrack to all my Christmases ever since I was little and my parents stuck it on the record player! ''Santa Claus is coming to town' , 'frosty the snowman' you name it it's there. Love it!

Back on the laptop - here is a link to Sufjan Stevens - this one is quite sad (Sister Winter)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OCdS5S20dg

but he also does this much more cheery original song, Put the Lights on the Tree

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gKzXlqsOeE

WingDefence Sat 01-Dec-12 17:48:14

Sufjan Stevens is fab waves smile

I have to say, ever since I was a child the soundtrack to Christmas day itself has been Tijuana Christmas. I found it recently on Spotify (it's got a red cover with a man wearing a mexican sombrero and playing a trumpet on it) and it makes me so nostalgic.

Not to everyone's taste but if you want some 70s/80s cheese...! grin

Relatively unknown but sufjan Stevens is amazing. He released several Christmas albums including original compositions and his own arrangements of traditional carols. I am totally addicted to listening to them. Can't link as I'm on phone, but very easy to find on YouTube

Himalaya Sat 01-Dec-12 08:08:13

It has to be Phil Spector

WantAnOrange Sat 01-Dec-12 07:55:22

I like the Michael Buble one.

DH likes a Heavy Metal Christmas - good for a laugh but I am poncy like more traditional ones on the day.

WhitesandsofLuskentyre Fri 30-Nov-12 23:37:39

If you like choral music, type John Rutter into Youtube and then select Angel's Carol, Donkey Carol or Shepherd's Pipe Carol for a listen. He's been a Christmas essential of mine since DD2's godmother introduced me to his music years ago.

DewDr0p Fri 30-Nov-12 21:42:49

Ella wishes you a swinging Christmas is very festive - Ella Fitzgerald

Ella at Christmas

I love the Phil Spector, Michael Buble, Annie Lennox and Bobby Dylan ones too!

Off to google Kate Rusby's.

Songs I particularly love are 2000 miles by the Pretenders, The Power of Love and Fairytale of New York.

Zooey Deschanel does a Christmas album under the name of her group she and him or him and her or whatever its called <not helpful emoticon>

TheElfOnThePanopticon Fri 30-Nov-12 20:49:03

I got the free spotify last Christmas just for making Christmas playlists on.

Taffeta Fri 30-Nov-12 19:29:43

My favourite is this

Fave track ever is Louis Armstrong's "Zat you Santa Claus?" grin

The Glee Christmas album that they brought out last year is a winner in our house! Thanks for reminding me, going to dig it out and get it on tomorrow whilst I get the decorations up smile

Gigondas Fri 30-Nov-12 12:56:49

I can tolerate bubbles but not Katherine with her cold dead sharks eyes

DowntonTrout Fri 30-Nov-12 12:52:13

Has no one said Phil Spectre?(even though he wasn't a very nice man, we don't mention that!)

A Christamas Gift FOr You.

It is the definitive Christmas Album in our house. White Christmas, silent Night, winter Wonderland etc etc. ooh I feel all Christmassy just thinking about it!

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Fri 30-Nov-12 12:27:41

I've just ordered my Dad the new Katherine Jenkins Christmas one, it looks like its got some good songs on it here. Has anyone got it?

Dillydollydaydream Fri 30-Nov-12 11:56:59

Ooh thanks for the iPhone app suggestion. Will look at that.
I downloaded Michael bubles Christmas album last year. It's not too cheesy.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Fri 30-Nov-12 11:51:58

I've just downloaded the most amazing free iPhone ap. it's called Xmas radio. 50 Radio stations, from all different countries, all playing just Christmas music. I can't believe I never knew Christmas radio stations existed!

Gigondas Fri 30-Nov-12 10:49:14

Duke Ellington - reworking of the nutcracker (three suites I think it's called).

Peggy lee the holiday album
Bette Midler - cool Yule

Thanks practical, re-tuned this morning and it is staying til end of Dec! x

practicalmum Thu 29-Nov-12 23:40:44

If you have a DAB radio, tune into Smooth Radio's Xmas station. It plays non stop Xmas music and saves you the problem of which CD to buy.

Thanks Binfull that looks great - just ordered from Amazon can't wait for it to arrive!

fiftyval Wed 14-Nov-12 14:20:04

We love the album called 'Christmas' by Low
Totally bonkers but great fun is Bob Dylan's 'Christmas in the Heart'
Very easy listening on Christmas morning is Michael Buble's Christmas songs and we also love the Annie Lennox and Kate Rusby Christmas songs.

iseenodust Tue 13-Nov-12 14:54:54

Bought SIL Annie Lennox last year and she liked it.

Dons hard hat.
Phil Spector (I know)
and Neil Diamond.

This one

Track three is a blinder....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now